PDA

View Full Version : Ryainair 737 scrapping

ukeng
14th Dec 2003, 01:53
Rumour has it Ryanair has lost a few 737's due to lap joint damage? Any truth in this....
Apparently BA has a couple in the wings that may suffer the same fate.

p.s. When I say lost I mean scrapped.

HZ123
14th Dec 2003, 15:58
Cannot confirm but there are some rumours concerning work done on 737's by a Stansted based company that had caused significant damage to 737s during respray by allegedly using stanley knife blades to remove sticky paper. Can you tell me what the lap joints actually are.

Perrin
14th Dec 2003, 18:10
There are three grounded at Prestwick, the news that maybe
the lawyers will decide over costs!!!!!!!!!!! The B737 has my vote for the most friendly to engineers built yet ruling out the airstairs.

the egg man
14th Dec 2003, 19:12
lap joints are the overlap of fuselage skins that are riveted together to form a water /airtight joint normally found all over the fuselage where exterior skin panels are joined together.most cases with a row of 3 rivets.
butt joints are where production joints are joined together on 737-200 at section 41,43, 44,ect..

kpiko3
15th Dec 2003, 04:28
There are four Ryanair 737-200 aircraft being stored at Prestwick at the moment.
The fifth went down to Southend to either get the hammer or just to be stored,most likely to get the hammer.

Cheerz
kpiko3

Dr Illitout
15th Dec 2003, 16:38
I too have heard the rumour about some 737's with lap joint's damaged by "poor" use of the knife but, don't forget the aircraft mentioned are 737-200's. These aircraft are Virtualy un- saleable any way. That might explain thier grounding/scapping. Now weather this "damage" is being used as an excuse to get some money out of somebody is another story!!!. I personaly cannot see a fine upstanding company like Ryanair stooping to such low tactics.
Rgds Dr I.

cirrus01
15th Dec 2003, 16:42
BA have at least 1 airframe with similar lap joint defect....it is a -400 series.

DoctorA300
15th Dec 2003, 19:59
Is this lapjoint damage not just corrosion found on the cpcp program. I seem to remember 4 brazilian low time/cycle -400īs about 10 years ago in shannon, that all needed extencive lapjoint repairs. Boeing had neglected to apply prc to the interior joint seam.
Doc

bbbaldy
15th Dec 2003, 23:28
First A/C found in FLS Dublin
Knife damage due to sealant removal found on Lap Joints then under further investigation found in But Joints.
A/C beyond economical repair unless Ryan Air can find someone to blame.

ukeng
16th Dec 2003, 01:01
Not a rumour anymore, i've been told there is a BA one now on the ground with similar damage (400 series). Same maint company responsible.
No idea what'll happen to it but maybe repairs aren't out of the question, just a few weeks of sheety work reqd?
Cause apparently due to removal of sealant causing scratches that could easily turn into cracks.
FLS is the name I've heard, looks like Ryaniar aren't trying it on....

sevenforeseven
17th Dec 2003, 15:17
Reap the rewards of contracted out maint, bring it back in house!!

the egg man
17th Dec 2003, 16:20
when contracting a fls about 10 years ago for a week on a cargo 747,the other connie i was with was a carpenter by trade and got the job by sending in a cv to staffhire who had an ad in the back of the sun newspaper.
he was not there for long because in his tesco bag which was his toolbox he pulled out a steel wire brush to put in his drill to remove corrosion from cargo bay floor stringers.as well as trying to drill out rivets on the same stringer with a masonery drill bit.
fls were not too concerned as his replacement was only a phone call away.

Dr Illitout
19th Dec 2003, 01:47
Ah we've met then!!!!!!

Whalerider
21st Dec 2003, 03:40
Led to believe that as many as 9 (NINE) a/c involved - all -200s. They are stored at both DUB and PIK.

This has left RYR short of a/c - hence the leasing of 2 x -400 from Islandsflug and 2 x -800 from Excel, as well as a -200 from European.

Might keep the lawyers busy !!!!!!!

HZ123
22nd Dec 2003, 19:59
There is one 200 that has been at Southend for over a month as well.