PDA

View Full Version : Recreative flying in Australia

CHCH
13th Dec 2003, 07:29
Hi there,

Beginning of next year I'm going to Australia and New-Zealand for 2 months. Now I plan to fly as well over there. Some questions;

- What do I need to do to convert my licence (I have a CPL (SE+ME+type B747-400))?
- What is the most interesting region to fly in (it's my first time going there)?
- What are the average costs of hiring a C172, Piper,....?

All other information is highly appreciated!

Thanks, CHCH

High Altitude
13th Dec 2003, 10:11
Great locations out of Darwin...

Darwin - Timber Creek - Kununurru - Bungles - Elquestro - Cape Leveque - Broome - Ayers Rock - Alice Springs - Katherine and the list goes on.

Aircraft hire is very light on the ground in Darwin. There is a C210H available, Possibly also a B58 at around $500ph (wet).

Good luck and have fun... Ya ya... Aufweidersen...

Dupre
13th Dec 2003, 12:12
I can't answer the licence conversion question, but I can help with aircraft cost.

In New Zealand expect anywhere between NZ$140 - $170 per hour (hobbs) for a C172 or Cherokee. Add an instructor for around $20/hr to $45/hr depending where you go.

You'd obviously pay a little less for a 2-seater (C152, Tomahawk between $120 and $150) and a little more for a complex single (arrow, C177, Mooney, C180, C182 - anywhere from $150 to $250 depending on the place and model).

As for the best place to go flying? New Zealand of course!! (not that I'm biased... :P) Flying around the southern alps (South Island) is incredible, but don't ignore the rest of the country as well.

If you want any more info, or web-sites to try give me a yell.

Good luck, fly safe.

Dupre.

On Track
14th Dec 2003, 12:48
The question about foreigners flying privately in Australia has been answered on pprune in the past, so I'm sure you'll find it with a bit of searching.

However for the latest information you'd better check www.casa.gov.au (for Australia) and www.caa.govt.nz (for New Zealand).

I gather, from reading posts on this site in the past and in various flying magazines, that British pilots wanting to get their licences validated here have found it a fairly straightforward exercise.

As for where to fly - if you like the wide, open spaces you'll find plenty in Australia.

If you want some stunning mountain scenery go to the South Island of New Zealand.

Both countries have good coastal scenery, lots of little islands, friendly people, excellent restaurants and good watering holes.

185skywagon
15th Dec 2003, 06:10
Dupre,
can you actually hire Cessna180's in NZ????

Dupre
15th Dec 2003, 08:35
185skywagon,

Yep - there are 2 that I know of. One at Auckland Aero Club (Ardmore) and one at Taupo Air Services (Taupo obviously...)

The former requires PPL with 100hrs fixed wing with 10hrs tailwheel to operate PiC.

The latter is a bit cheaper but requires 500hrs TT.

Edited to add that there is also a C185 for hire at Auckland Flying School (Mercer Aerodrome).