PDA

View Full Version : Help!! image format prob

tony draper
12th Dec 2003, 22:49
Me nephew gave me a cd that had Photoshop on it so I loaded it to give it a try, all the images on my machine were in ipg format, photoshop changed them all to a different format,Idunno what its called, I tried the program and I though the image quality was poor compared to ipg so using the correct uninstall program I deleted photoshop.
Now I cannot see any of my pickies, if I click on the ones on my desktop it just says blah blah balh ipj not a valid font file??the icons for all my pickies now are a square with a red A in it
How can I change all my images back to ipg format, ????and isn't this a stupid thing for photoshop to do.
I should have known better,I never seem to have any probs with windows its always bloody third party stuff that porks my machine.
Any help greatfully recieved.

:(

goates
13th Dec 2003, 01:20
I've never heard of an "ipg" format. Are you sure it isn't "jpg"? If it is, all that has happened is that Windows thinks the files should be opened by Photoshop, but as it has been uninstalled, it can't find the program. Try opening the pictures with Microsoft Paint, or even Internet Explorer (go to the file->open menu and click browse). If that is the problem, you can go to the tools->folder options menu when you open My Computer, and click on the file types tab. From here just find the file type, and click change to change the program the file will be opened with.

Hope this helps.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Dec 2003, 11:51
tony draper,

Please check the exact format the Pictures used to be in and the format they are in after using Photoshop. Knowing the two formats we can then help you.

Take Care,

Richard

tony draper
13th Dec 2003, 17:25
Thanks chaps, I have had to reload photoshop, my pickies have become viewable again, properties say they are JPG format, not sure now what format they used to be, this hard disk had a clean Win 98 instal, no third party image software, what does windows normally open images with??
I would really like to be rid of photoshop and return the machine to what it was, its a compllete pain in the arse, takes three times longer to look at a image and the resolution is poor.
I swear by ny gradfather wooden leg I will never load stuff like this again, but then I am always saying that.

exeng
13th Dec 2003, 19:05
Time perhaps to consider 'XP', assuming your 'puter is not of a 286 vintage!

'XP', although far from perfect, does offer the excellent facility of 'system restore'. This allows you to undo any changes you have recently made relatively safely. Nice feature for 'numpties' such as myself.

Regards
Exeng

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Dec 2003, 12:22
tony draper,

If the files are .jpg, your easiest solution is to associate the .jpg and .jpeg with Internet Explorer. It will have not trouble opening the picutres. That will allow you to uninstall Photoshop, if you still wish to.

It soulds like Photoshop did not change the type of files the pictures were, just their association, in this case it said it would open all .jpg's and .jpeg's. When you removed Photoshop, the associations did not revert back to their previous viewer and that is why you could not open them after uninstalling Photoshop.

Take Care,

Richard

Tinstaafl
14th Dec 2003, 23:52
Best viewer I've found is 'Irfan Viewer'. It's free too.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
15th Dec 2003, 02:15
Mr Draper

You have experienced what a lot of people do when they install new software, it's a bit like this...

"Hmm I'm Photoshop and am much better than any other program on this machine to open those type of files so from now on when you want to open those type of files I will do it for you."

Now what typically happens is that you try the new program and it is crap (any free software thrown in with printers and scanners IMHO) or it is a little baffling and we decide we no longer want to use it and free up the disk space it stole. Unfortunately when we remove these programs (again IMHO) it never ever puts your system back to the way it was. (exeng is totally correct XP helps rid you of these problems as long as you create a system restore point before installing, then if you don't like it - bye bye.

Do you remember what program you used to use to open jpg's etc. I am guessing it may have been Internet Explorer if so find one of your pics hold down one of your shift keys and with your finger on the button right click on the file and choose open with, you should be presented with the choose program to open file window where you can choose what program you want to open it with, there should also be an option to always open the file with this program if you tick the box that should solve your problem.