PDA

View Full Version : Pipex Broadband

PCMM
12th Dec 2003, 19:10
I've just signed up to Pipex Broadband for two reasons. Firstly, because it looks good value, but the second and more important reason is that it generally came highly recommended on this site.

So, if any Pipex plugger wants to benefit from a month's free membership, let me know and I'll gladly pass on your details...

To get to the point of this post though, I was hoping someone can recommend a good anti-virus / firewall package. I've currently got Windows 98SE, but am going to re-format and install XP soon.

Cheers!

PC

Evo
12th Dec 2003, 21:42
Well if you're offering... :) :)

To get to the point of this post though, I was hoping someone can recommend a good anti-virus / firewall package. I've currently got Windows 98SE, but am going to re-format and install XP soon.

If you want a package then Norton Internet Security is fine, although i've heard that people are pi$$ed off with NIS 2004 because you don't get much for your money if upgrading from '03 - it adds virtually nothing new. However, it is simple, easy to keep up to date and it's all in one box. My wife (a definite non-techie) has '03 on her PC and has had no problems with it.

If you don't mind a separate firewall and anti-virus then i'd go for zone alarm (free, but you pay to upgrade to the Pro version) and Norton Anti-virus. Bit cheaper than NIS, and the firewall is better IMHO.

(edit to add - Norton isn't the only choice of anti-virus software to go with zone alarm; most mainstream ones are good AFAIK. I just tend to recommend it because i've been using it for years without problems).

Memetic
13th Dec 2003, 00:38
Go for the freebie zonealarm and upgrade if you feel you need the extra features.

I have used Zone alarm for the last year + and had no problems.

It also gets good reviews.

And for AV - sophos. No contest. I have used it in my last 3 workplaces and it is excellent. Especailly as an office licence covers the home PC! Very helpful tech support, 24/7/365. YOU can download a free trial at www.sophos.co.uk

Memetic.

P.S. happy to be a plugger, i'm on Pipex too. :D - or not I just re red Evo's post!

If you have a spare old PC this looks interesting...

http://www.smoothwall.org/

Keef
13th Dec 2003, 05:27
Yep, likewise on Pipex and generally happy.

ZoneAlarm freebie does the job pretty well; if you feel the need, there's an upgrade to the "paid for" version.

I'm not renewing my anti-virus sub. It failed to detect the last three to hit my machine because they were "brand new" and not known to the virus software. I rely now on firewall, not using MS OE or O, and not opening any suspicious attachments.

PPRuNe Pop
13th Dec 2003, 14:24
I was one of the first to go with the 'new' deal from Pipex and I have never been able to fault it. I still think it is probably the best deal around for the speed. I am very happy with Pipex.

As for anti/virus and firewall. I have Zone Alarm and I think it is brilliant. I also have the pro version of McAfee and I just leave it to do it's on thing. It gets updates automatically and installs them. Happy to say I am again best pleased.

As for Norton. In my opinion it slows the computer down and it has too much control. Wouldn't have it near mine.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
15th Dec 2003, 02:28
PCMM

No need to spend any money as the free products are a match for the paid products.

I use Zonealarm personal version have never felt the need to use anything else.

For AV I use AVG by GRISOFT (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php) which has stopped viruses that people have sent me from norton/mcafee 'protected' systems.

To me it seems silly to give any of these companies my hard earned cash when others give me it for free and do as good if not better a job.