PDA

View Full Version : Stranded pilot refused fuel in Antarctica

Heliport
12th Dec 2003, 16:04
Excerpt from Guardian report Pilot in vain search for nearest petrol station in Antarctica
12 December 2003

An Australian pilot who flew his homemade plane over the South Pole at the weekend was stranded in Antarctica because America and New Zealand refused him permission to refuel.

Jon Johanson, whose plane was grounded at the McMurdo-Scott base, run by America and New Zealand, found that the research stations there had a policy of not selling fuel to adventurers.

The Australian Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer, who knows Mr Johanson personally, tried to get the rules waived, but the US and New Zealand refused. He said: "I'm not very optimistic about being able to persuade the New Zealanders and the Americans."

Johanson left Invercargill, on the southern tip of New Zealand, on Sunday and flew his RV-4 aircraft 3,680 miles in about 26 hours, to cross the pole. He said that he was forced to land at the base in Antarctica after high winds foiled his plans to fly on to Argentina.
Guardian Report (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/australasia/story.jsp?story=472438)

Extract from the Australian Pilot 'attracts widespread support'

AN Australian pilot stranded in Antarctica has attracted widespread public support as he continues to resist US and New Zealand offers to fly him home, his partner Sue Ball said today.

Jon Johanson is stranded at the joint US-New Zealand McMurdo-Scott base after bad weather forced him to abort his solo flight over the continent.

He was attempting to be the first person to pass over the South Pole in a home-built, single-engined aircraft.

He now needs 400 litres of fuel to return to New Zealand.

New Zealand's Foreign Minister Phil Goff said he would not step in at this point to help an Australian pilot.
The Australian report (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8140965%255E1702,00.html)

Not a helicopter story but, in light of recent discussions about adventurers ..........

For info: The 'home-built' is a modern factory kit plane built and tested to manufacturers' spec, not a home-design or the type of aircraft you see in pictures from the PFA rally. :)
The pilot has previously flown round the world and over the North Pole.

Vfrpilotpb
12th Dec 2003, 16:32
Is this yet another sad case of KEEP out of our private area, and by offering no help with fuel therby deter others, Soft , mean hearted GITS, even though we beat em at the World Cup I think this Ozzie guy should be given the fuel!

Wouldn't happen at the North Pole, Santa Would help!!:ok:

NickLappos
12th Dec 2003, 19:37
At the risk of starting yet another thread about foolish adventurers, this story is not about fuels, it is about fools.

That idiot flew to the point where he had to say, "Save me!" A nice trip home is quite satisfactory, and let him bring his factory/home/kit built home as a kit.

I spoke once to a Coast Guard pilot who expressed his exasperation at risking his life to fly way offshore at night to help yet another ill-prepared fool who simply KNEW somebody would save his sorry ass after he had painted himself in a corner. The Coastie said they would like to have permission to drop the emergency pump from 500 feet to help Darwin.

Regarding the saving of this Antarctic fool, the press that he now generated should help stave off the thousands of idiots who would try it, too, if they knew someone would "rescue" them when they, too, failed.

Head Turner
12th Dec 2003, 20:59
Nick you are absolutely correct.

Here in UK we have the fools who head out into the English Channel without any regard to weather and 'DEMAND' that they are rescued pronto and complain bitterly if the SAR were a couple of minutes late. Crystal Balls are prone to all sorts of failure but not allowed when the sailing fools are on the water.

This is a blatent case of not doing the 5P's. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Yes I know there's 6, it just goes to show how important P's are

RDRickster
12th Dec 2003, 21:06
Although I'm definately in support of the prepared adventurer, I have to concede that folks like this have more money than common sense and it's proper that he's grounded. Activities like Jennifer Murray's 'Round the World' attempt show a stark contrast in preparation and resources, including their own SAR team. This is quite the opposite...

MESS WITH THE BULL AND YOU GET THE HORNS!

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Dec 2003, 21:13
Poor old Ocker - first those big old meanies the US and the Kiwis won't dig him out of his self-inflicted fix, now it looks as though salvation might have to come from one of us whingeing Poms (see this article) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/3312611.stm)

I've gone into print on this subject before :zzz:, and the intrepid homebuilder's dilemma has only served to reinforce my opinion: one person's lack of - or inability to carry out appropriate - forward planning should not have to constitute anyone else's idea of an emergency. He's been offered a ticket home; if he gets anything more, then we'll get SAR services being billed for non-salvage of sinking yachts and R22s next.

I did like the other thread's idea of $1000 per litre of MOGAS, though.

BBC have now (121919ZDec03) updated the article to this, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/3314267.stm) in which the lady concerned is more complimentary about the homebuilder's interpretation of the forecast than others have been.

sycamore
12th Dec 2003, 21:25
I thought 407`s ran on Avtur, and RV`S ran on Avgas/Mogas....?

Say again s l o w l y
12th Dec 2003, 21:57
Yes they do, but this fuel is coming from Polly Vacher NOT Jennifer Murray. Polly Vacher is another British woman, but in a Piper f/w rather than a heli.

Seems like a busy time in the Antarctic at the moment!

sycamore
13th Dec 2003, 05:41
Didn`t RTFQ, did I.? Oooppsss ,Sorrreeee.:uhoh:

3top
13th Dec 2003, 08:40
Gentlemen,

before I call someone idiot, I'd really check his background first.
.....and coming from you Nick it is even worse as you are a rather well known public figure.

Mr Johanson is anything but an idiot when it comes to long distance flying. Just because some of us (me included) don't see the sense in long distance flights or trying to break record doesn't mean these guys are idiots.

If you are on a budget, you cannot have a fuel depot in every possible emergency landing spot.

Mrs. Vacher planned to land in Antarctica, Johannson did not.
He also did not get himself "painted in the corner" nor did he cry "Safe me!" He did the exactly right thing - abort the flight and make a safe landing on a safe place.
Maybe some of you are members of the EAA - in this case you could read about Jon Johannson and his airplane. Topnotch equipment and a sound attitude to it.

If you call him an idiot you will have to call the whole racing world (air, land, sea) idiots. ....Aerobatics as well, especially helicopter acrobatics!!! What about mountain climbers, what the hell for are you struggling to crawl up that wall, just to have to pick you up with the helicopter because you missjudged it!

I don't wish bad luck to anyone, but the folks who run their precious stations in Antarctica should run afoul of something sometime and depend on someone elses help - Tourism in Antartica will/is happening anyway, they will not prevent it!

Never mind nice gesture to offer him a flight out, for the same money they could have offered him to fly in a couple of gallons of gas. I do not blame him that he refuses to dismantle his airplane - he spent a long time building it! And what an airplane it is!
As mentioned, it is one of the finest airplanes you can get your hands on, not a tarpcovered junkyard wars contraption.
Flying it out at his cost? What a BS! For less he could fly in fuel to refuel his plane 3 times!

Why fly him out if he can go on his way perfectly by himself. So if the fuel costs 50 bucks a gallon, this would be deterent enough for most flying visitors.

I am sure that not any of the polar circling team has fuel in every possible emergency landing spot.

Why the great hurra for the 407 going down there. If this ship should go down I am sure it will not just be their rescue team looking for them, but every service available in the area.

If you want to take of every (real) idiot that gets himself in trouble from a list of "elegible" victims, you will hardly have anyone left to rescue and warrant your service in operation....fine the "idiots" for beeing neglective about safety after you get them.

I did no one hear saying that Q was an idiot, when trying Antarctica - are helicopters different in this respect?

How many single engine airplanes fly the atlantic every year - ...... all idiots?

Some off us don't have or see the need or don't have the time for records, but most of the helicopter drivers I know got in a bind or two in their career and where glad to get a hand to get out.

Jon Johannson makes a living advertising his sponsors, just like others. He got in a bind - give him a hand for christ sakes!

3top
:suspect:

B Sousa
13th Dec 2003, 09:14
I agree, give the guy some help at lets say $50 gallon.....
Help for him but the price may help discourage others.

RDRickster
13th Dec 2003, 09:16
The main difference, as you pointed out yourself, is that "if you are on a budget" you shouldn't be doing something like this without adequate resources in the first place. Otherwise, some of the nay sayers have a point about every Tom, Dick, and Harry trying similar stunts because it would be cool. Perhaps he should have gotten additional sponsorship revenue before taking flight. Hind site is always 20/20 and it is even easier for us to arm chair quarterback this from behind the computer, but if he planned for every contingency - he certainly would have been aware of the McMurdo Station policy in advance.

3top
13th Dec 2003, 09:39
RD,

you may be right about Jon not knowing about local policies.

However I personally would have guessed myself that this might be the possibly most helpful people you could run across, considering where they live - depending on each other only for short term and emergency help. Maybe that the very people down there are just that, but the station policy may not be made them, but the organisations that run the stations.

Again, Johannson seems well organized. He just did not plan to land where he had to, on the other hand he might after all - in an emrgency!
I am sure, if his plan would have been to land there, he might have had a fuel supply ready. Hell, he even may know about their policy, but as his plan was to go to Argentina, he did not see the need to "waste" money on fuel expiring in the snow ( I understand he plans with quite a bit of reserve-fuel for delays). But if you get unforcast weather you have to decide! His landing on the base was safe procedure and giving him a hand to leave a nice gesture. Instead he gets threadened to loose his source of income (his airplane). He might have wanted to buy the fuel, but where do you buy if the only source refuses to sell - and just to make a statement!!

I will try to find out more!

3top

:cool:

donut king
13th Dec 2003, 09:42
What kind of adventurer needs someone else to save his/her ass all the time?

In days gone by, the true adventurers relied on their own resourcefulness due to the lack of anyone else being around. There was no camp or established station enroute. They made it up because they had to. This is the 100th year of aviation, right??

With all we have established, this "aviator" just did not plan well enough with all the resources available.....knowing that he would not be sold fuel at that sight.

D.K

3top
13th Dec 2003, 10:48
What do you mean with "all the time"? Did he need any rescue before?

Some more interesting reading to this on:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111546&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

and

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111730

I just hope that everyone bashing on this thread is a perfect aviator and never goes wrong anywhere!

3top

NickLappos
13th Dec 2003, 11:16
3top,

Any pilot who ventures into deadly territory, runs low on gas and lands at a closed facility and then demands that he be refueled has definately painted himself in a corner, at least in my book. Maybe idiot is too strong a word, I will accept that critique.

Nick

PS I would like to live in your house, eat your food and drink your wine because I seem to be a little short of funds this month. How about it? You seem to be the kind of guy who wants to help support us folks who just can't quite plan correctly....

3top
13th Dec 2003, 11:38
Nick,

if you ever show up in this corner of the world, I will insist to feed you! At least for one dinner - then I might be joining the club of those with the planing problem!

Running out of juice is not an option for me, too much deadly territory around here, though not freezing at least.
I don't have the urge to go long distance either, though I would crave a couple of lessons from Rich Lee or you!

See, I am not immune either!

3top,:O

PS: I hope to find out more about the story....

Vfrpilotpb
13th Dec 2003, 16:33
Nick,

I feel your comments whilst being uttered by oneof the wisest and most experienced persons on the Rotorhead site, are indeed a little harsh and are putting you into the same catagory as could be identified as being politically correct.

This man is obviously a skilled pilot, he has travelled an immense distance which took more than a full days tavel, most people on the Rotorheads forum fly for three or four hour and are out of gas, this man must have filed a flight plan somewhere,and whatever any one may say or write he navigated the Southern Oceans and covered a huge amount of white of white flying, my very rough calcs indicate he was flying at about 140mph (divide time into miles) so the aircraft cannot be likened to a childs kite, I was always brought up and educated to believe in man spirit of adventure, I could sink into list of humans both men and women who have gone beyond the horizon and Lo what do they see, another horizon still which they also go beyond.

Without that sort of spirit, our world would have been a much different place now.

If you could only go when you had(in your words) "A Coastie" to hold your hand, our world would be very small indeed if it wasn't for people with such a SPRIT OF ADVENTURE.!

Sadly some posters on this thread just love to jump into the safe comfort of joining your gang, some write of his PP re the fuel, well 26 hours means that he did carry a lot of fuel, also the wind will get stronger OR weaker within that time window.

So come on Fellas, give the guy a break give him the fuel and send him home, or are you going to be scuppered by a litte old lady from Great Britain, who, whilst in her own Horizon bustin adventure, is prepared to sell or give this man the fuel.

One name to all of you, who is a serial failure at adventure, and some business, but yet all of you would stand with your tongues hanging out just to stand with this guy ,

RICHARD BRANSON Epic Failure a most of his adventures, always needs a COASTIE

Red Wine
13th Dec 2003, 16:39
Whilst I have been critical of ill prepared thrill seekers, normally with the minimum of qualifications, undertaking what we do nearly every day then claiming some silly claim to fame and then being internationally recognized as some type of Hero!!!....critical YES….Jealous…NO.

Not that I have ever met this Aussie chap, but know a few who have, and by all accounts he is no fool, just loves flying and stretching his bladder.

Recently I was flying across Asia in a multi crew IFR twin and not only had to divert due to unknown storms on track, but had to turn 90 degrees and without diplomatic approvals, declared a Technical Landing Request and landed in a foreign country with them only having 50 minutes of warning…..refueled, shook hands, [would have loved to have stayed the night] and departed with smiles and friendly waves from the locals.
I was not planning this diversion [but knew it was there if I needed it], and neither was this Fixed Wing Chap [at least this landing proves he planned correctly].

Pity he was not given the same courtesy [as expected (if not required by ICAO) when a Technical Landing is requested] as I was, but then again he was an Aussie not a Yank.

With all that fuel onboard, he should have landed at an Aussie base and had Christmas with them. {and still could}.

Nick....Are you having a bad weekend...or are we seeing the true Nick????

autosync
13th Dec 2003, 20:58
Let me get this straight, this guy turns up at a place, not wanted and uninvited and expects to be bailed out.

And a couple of you are using this as an opportunity to have a go at old Saint Nick cause he and no doubt a whole lot of other rotorheads have a different opinion.

No doubt he is being treated well down there and they instinctively want to help but I personally admire the base commanders decision, what precedent will it set, were are lines drawn, who will be the next fool who wants to get into the Guinness book of records for crossing the Antarctic with the least amount of fuel onboard.

Antarctic is not like other places on this planet, we dont belong there, you get in any type of trouble down there dont expect to live, and more importantly don't expect other people to go out of there way to save your sorry ass, you chose to go down, your mess, you deal with it.

3top
13th Dec 2003, 22:51
autosync,

I just hope for you, you never have to fly over hostile terrain and ALWAYS have ALL emergency/technical landing spots adviced, loaded with fuel or at least willing to sell it to you!

Merry christmas and lots of populated area and densly controlled airspace!

3top
;)

autosync
14th Dec 2003, 01:09
Thanks for your concern, but me personally I wouldn't fly over places like that unless I had to, neither would I rely and expect others to risk there lives for me.

Call me old Fashioned..............

This fella likes to call himself an adventurer for doing a day long flight over the cap, the real adventurers are the people living down there,.

Merry Christmas:ok:

NickLappos
14th Dec 2003, 02:28
vfrpilotpb and Redwine,

You are seeing the true Nick!

I don't begrudge the attempt, or the failure! I begrudge the whining over accepting the consequences. I must believe that the press release was one the pilot sparked to try and embarass the authorities into giving him gas, making them out as the bad guys (They refuse him aid!! What heartless people!!)

In reality, he did it to himself, and he should just pack up his plane and go home, no whining or complaining. Instead, he takes the folks who are feeding him and blames them.

Is it really an adventure to fly the aircraft over a dangerous place? What about time, distance and speed do we not understand about all this? Is flying over a bad place an adventure? Is misplanning the gas required a triumph? Give me a break. There are a dozen ppruners who do more dangerous stuff for a living, daily, unless night rig approaches and SAR hoists have suddenly gotten easy.

Now, with regard to adventure, anytime you'd like to compare adventures with me, buy me 2 beers and maybe I'll help share my adventures (isn't "adventure" the given name to a screw-up we were allowed to survive as a lesson to others?)

Dave_Jackson
14th Dec 2003, 02:44
Earlier this year, a Twin Otter was sent from Canada to a U.S. Antarctic base, to carry out a sick American doctor. Story (http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/coldscience/2001-04-26-sp-doc-rescue.htm) Were the Americans foolish to set up an Antarctic base without equipping it with a full hospital? Were the Canadians foolish to rescue the American?

Coincidentally, the rescued doctor is described as "an adventurer who flew his own stunt plane and traveled worldwide."

Perhaps the policies have more to do with territorial claims than the cost of providing humanitarian acts.

SASless
14th Dec 2003, 04:02
Bureaucrats can be obtuse at times....like all times actually....but in this case they seem to be a bit thicker than usual. The cost of allowing some flimsies onboard the next cargo flight....and some highly priced room and board....throw in a couple of UK style landing fees and it would seem our stalwart hero could be on his way without a lot of muss and fuss. We can not all be born Farmer's Son's thus the class envy or whatever is driving this angst by the proprieters at McMurdo seems a bit over the top to me.

Sorry Nick ol' buddy...but we come down on different sides of this fence....although I agree there are times that "cast iron pumps" lofted from a great height are appropriate. If we never pushed the envelope, where would we be? Seems I recall seeing you streaking off into the heavens in some fanciful designs doing some very interesting things. If you would have fetched up on Bert Reynolds place in Jupiter, reckon he would have given you some Jet A to get back to the Completion/Test facility?

Lessee here....at last count....there's what...two of these intelopers running amok down there.....doesen't seem to be like a real flood of them to me? Actually, could it be he ruined his welcome upon arrival by inappropriately voiding what must have been a very distended bladder?

Aussierotor
14th Dec 2003, 09:21
Cant see what all the fuss is about.
This guy is no fool and has been flying this plane for years.Dont know his achievements ,but i think he has flown around the world and flown over the north pole.
He is an adventurer,something i wouldnt even consider doing ,but hes not alone in this world.
He had planned and was fully equiped,but the weather went against him,Big deal.He had a place to land and top up instead of landing 400k short in the ocean then upsetting people with an expensive rescue mission.
I think maybe hes come from the wrong country.Could you imagine a guy in a 4 wheel drive in the outback who encounters rain and uses more fuel getting through boggy conditions stops at farm house only to be told to wait for a truck due next month he can put his wagon on-------------what a joke.

Whats wrong with the good old "Geez mate,your either game or stupid,but yep ,no probs,we will top you up.Stay a couple of days and we will show you around,but all the good looking penguins are taken-------nice meeting you mate ,glad we could help ,have a safe trip-----------see ya"

Whats the world coming to

3top
14th Dec 2003, 09:43
Aussie,

100%!

Here some more about the case and the man:

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/031211_nasm.html
and

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/031210_johanson.html

and

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/031209_johanson.html

3top
:ok:

Vfrpilotpb
14th Dec 2003, 17:23
Nick,

If" This is the real Me" then I am indeed sorry, for you have taken the moral political high ground, normally occupied by people who like to tell others how to live,

The Pilots you refer too as being hero's by landing on a rig at night, or flying Sar missions are in my mind extremely and seriously qualified and experienced pilots, Not Hero's, they choose to fly that sort of employment and are paid for doing so, but because these great flyers are normally all ex mil pilots, they do have the very top experience needed to carry out such tasks.

What makes this guy who has landed safely(Not crashed) different is that he is an individual, who obviously has a high level of skill, but as we know the wx has proved to be his undoing.

Tell us Nick,have you never been caught out by the wx ?

Heliport
14th Dec 2003, 17:29
ABC online reportAustralian adventurer Jon Johanson has spent what could be his last night at the American base in the Antarctic, after accepting the offer of free fuel from a fellow aviator, Polly Vacher, who had to abandon her own charity flight.
Her generosity means he will now be able to fly his plane to New Zealand, before coming home to Australia.
The United States and New Zealand had refused to sell him any fuel, on the grounds that that would only encourage more Antarctic adventurers.
Speaking from McMurdo Base in the Antarctic, Jon Johanson told Alison Caldwell about his overwhelming feelings of gratitude towards Polly Vacher.

But, can you believe this?
Newstalk ZB report Officials refuse weather forecasts

Officials at Antarctica have found another way to hamper the efforts of stranded Australian Jon Johanson to fly off the ice.

Since he landed at McMurdo Station last week requesting extra fuel, American and New Zealand officials have refused to help him.

Mr Johanson's plane is now refuelled and set to go, when the weather is suitable.
The only catch is Antarctica officials won't give him any weather forecasts.

His partner Sue Ball is trying to provide information from Australia. She says he won't take off until he is confident he can get back safely. At present he's likely to take off late today, and reach Invercargill tomorrow morning.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of what's gone before, I hope this isn't true. :rolleyes:

Aussie Mate
14th Dec 2003, 17:50
Been sitting here waiting and thinking why my first statement has to be a negative one.

[I have erased my previous comments].

But the arrogance of the Kiwi's and the Americans is typical and shameful.

Say again s l o w l y
14th Dec 2003, 18:05
What an utterly pathetic state of affairs, the Yanks and New Zealanders who are involved should hang their heads in shame. Jon wasn't asking for charity, but was asking to buy fuel, just handing over some wx reports can't hurt anybody.
It's nice to see that a sense of deceny and human kindness still reigns especially in somewhere so inhospitable. :rolleyes:

What on earth goes on down there that needs such rabid isolationism?

Whirlybird
14th Dec 2003, 18:16
The reactions of many people to this strike me as highly illogical. Adventurers like this guy are just that - adventurers. They won't be put off because officialdom decides to make things more difficult for them. And non-adventurers are highly unlikely to say: Oh wow, if I go round the world and get stranded in Antarctica I'll get given fuel". People just don't think like that.

Jon didn't get stranded deliberately. The easiest thing to do, all round, is to sell him fuel, give him a weather forecast, and send him on his way. Anything else makes no real sense, whether you agree with what he's doing or not.

Many thanks to Polly Vacher for helping him out. She's a lovely person, and this makes me think so even more. But what happened to her flight? Why is she giving up? I haven't heard the details. :(

Flying Lawyer
14th Dec 2003, 18:38
Whirlybird

Polly Vacher is unable to continue her flight across Antarctica as, for logistical reasons, she is unable to secure fuel at Patriot Hills, despite making plans to do so from the outset.

The Argentinian Air Force has laid on a special flight to get fuel for Polly into Marambio so she can return to Ushuaia
Once back in Ushuaia, she will be retracing her steps through South America and the USA to California where she will fly across the Pacific to South Island, New Zealand to continue with her original route from Dunedin as planned.

It should be pointed out that Polly's help to Johansen has been with the agreement of Shell which owns her fuel. Shell has released two barrels of her fuel stored at McMurdo to enable Johansen to fly back to New Zealand.

Well done, both Polly Vacher (British pilot) and Shell, for resolving the deadlock. The authorities have kept their 'dignity' and Johansen is able to fly home. :ok:

RobboRider
14th Dec 2003, 19:03
I've been reading all the posts and can see both sides of the argument but have to say that one thing hasn't been brought up yet.
That is that the policy of not providing help to visitors and adventurers by NZ/USa at the south pole station is no secret and has been publicised for at least 7 years (I think I first read about the policy in either National Geographic or maybe Australian Geographic magazine. I even recall David Attenborough who did a show about antarctica on TV several years ago talking about the policy as he and crew were refused use of the station's facility's.

Like it or not I can see that if they didn't stick to their guns on the policy next month there'd be another "adventurer" turning up on the doorstep wanting fuel and then another and then another.

So when it came to planning this adventurer really should have acted as if the fuel wasn't available and got a couple of drums flown in before the event or had plans made so that if he had to land the drums could be flown in. Planning for headwinds is part of normal long flight planning so should have been thought of first. This was not an unforeseeabe event despite the prttests of some of the posts

Just my 2c worth

Squeek
14th Dec 2003, 20:13
:O Reading Jon's local paper "The Advertiser" and letters to the editor today, one writer familiar with the antartic base stated Avgas was no longer kept on site as all machinery ran on the JP4 or 5 stuff anyway.

Maybe the US and Kiwis could'nt help with the fuel and this whole thing got blown out of proportion.

"Peace be with you"..........well it is Sunday.

Heliport
14th Dec 2003, 22:34
If that's true, it's surprising none of the official statements mentioned it. Possible, but seems unlikely.

Anyway, a British damsel has now come to the aid of the Knight in distress. ;) :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
15th Dec 2003, 00:49
What a fascinating world we live in.

The NZ government won't help out an Australian adventurer, yet the Argentinian government will help out a British adventuress.

The only bit I find unsurprising is that one adventurer will help out another. They probably understand each others situations better than anybody else.

G

RDRickster
15th Dec 2003, 01:40
If the policy of the McMurdo station is to not provide fuel for "recreational flyers," I can understand and even support that policy decision. However, to refuse weather information... a critical safety measure... is completely ridiculous and infuriating!

I think the pilot got caught short, and didn't prepare adequately. I think it was proper to refuse fuel, as a matter of policy, to discourage similar flights (the purpose of the policy). In contrast, it now appears that McMurdo is going out of their way to be obstructionary. He's learned his lesson, the point was made, the policy was enforced... let's not take it to a$$inine extremes!

Watchoutbelow
15th Dec 2003, 01:57
Obviously we dont know what is going on down there, but I assume this guy has Internet access and that how he is getting his word out, if he really wanted the weather forcast he could get it from the internet.

From what I can see, based on this thread (not research)
He is in a warm station at the bottom of the world, eating other peoples rations, sleeping in other peoples beds has the basic creature comforts being kindly provided for by the taxpayers of other countries, and bitchin and moaning to the world about how they aren't helping him get out of a mess he got himself into.

Heliport
15th Dec 2003, 02:30
WOB

"Obviously we dont know what is going on down there ........"

The rest of us do. Obviously you haven't been reading the reports, which may explain your post. ;)

Extract from today's NZ Herald
(or tomorrow's if you're in this part of the world)
Weather latest worry for pilot

Australian pilot Jon Johanson was waiting for a break in the weather this morning to take off from Antarctica in his homebuilt plane for a 12-hour trip to Invercargill.

Weather forecasters in New Zealand and Australia teamed up last night to give him a clearer picture of the conditions he was concerned about, over the sub-Antarctic islands closer to New Zealand.

Mr Johanson, 47, has been stranded at McMurdo Sound since December 8 when lack of fuel forced him to abandon a flight from Invercargill to Argentina after circling the Pole.

United States and New Zealand Government officials in Antarctica refused to give him fuel, saying it was policy not to supply private expeditions.

But on Friday, British pilot Polly Vacher came to his rescue with an offer of fuel that she had stored for her own cross-polar flight.

Antarctica New Zealand chief executive Lou Sanson said New Zealanders carried the fuel from Ms Vacher's stores at Scott Base to McMurdo airbase and helped to pump it onboard Mr Johanson's plane.

Getting a weather forecast for his flight was the next problem for the Adelaide-based pilot.

New Zealand does not have forecasters in the Antarctic and relies on the United States base forecasters.

But Mr Sanson said the US had a long-standing policy of providing forecasts only for national programmes, because of "a liability issue".

Mr Johanson's plight was among issues discussed by Foreign Affairs Minister Phil Goff and his Australian counterpart, Alexander Downer.

3top
15th Dec 2003, 03:20
LIARBILITY!

The favorite past time in the glorious US of A!!

3top,:D

Jcooper
15th Dec 2003, 05:05
Adventurers are just like bears. If you feed one once than the rest of the gang thinks they can get it any time. There is no point in having a policy if you don't stick to it.

3top
15th Dec 2003, 09:49
Exceptions confirm the rule!!

And contrary to anyone who calls on a rescue service to bail him/her out, this man did not put anyone at risk or diverted any SAR units attention from other more "worthy" ventures.
He got stuck in a situation, he did not expect, but it was not endangering to anyone.
He learned something new, no harm done.

Then there is a possibility to advice anyone filing a flight plan that might run anywhere close to this place (which is unique enough to warrant this...) of this "no fuel" -policy. Stop 'em before they get there, this way there are NO excuses - real ones or lame ones.

Now what about the kayakers in the other thread, what the heck for would you want to go down a wild river in a little plastic shell?

Should they just leave them there,as a "policy"? To deter others from being "idiots"? They got the helicopter crew in a rather dangerous position (OGE hover over a wild river,....), but then thats what these guys do for a living.....

3top

Jcooper
15th Dec 2003, 09:58
He did not need a SAR unit but if you give the man fuel then what happens is now people think that if they make it an emergency they can get fuel there. Then they plan just to get to the base with there reserve and plan it as a fuel stop. Then the winds change and the guy runs out of fuel in the middle of the ocean and the SAR team is needed next time. You cannot make exceptions for any reason to a rule or people will exploit it.

Thomas coupling
15th Dec 2003, 10:07
I think it's hilarious, another aussie getting a bashing a few weeks after the world cup.
He's not in any physical danger, so the more sh*t doled out to him the better, I say. Send him a DVD of the rugby while he sits this one out. "Whingeing Aussie"

:ok:

Aussierotor
15th Dec 2003, 11:01
I would be whingeing to if some knobhead halfwits wouldnt give me some fuel.
Hes probably lucky the kiwis were there as the yanks probably would have blown him out the sky excusing themselves thinking it was a terrorist attack.
Speaking of rugby ,maybe the kiwis had the sh1ts on.
In reality,they have an airstrip so why cant a private pilot land on it,especially if its a case of having to.
Apart from a few places where there are "no fly"zones ,the rest of the atmosphere is free for all and anyone can fly where they want

Red Wine
15th Dec 2003, 11:09
Actually this sporting game called Rudby is a second level game in Oz, hence not many if any chaps will raise to your bait [like me!!!]...now talk Aussie Rules or Soccer then you will be listened to.

Really can't fathom why you poms get a real kick out of trying to jam you head up you mates bum...its there on TV all the time, just cant fathom......but then again I'm certainly no Pom.

Merry Xmas....

Heliport
15th Dec 2003, 12:27
Newscom.au report Antarctic pilot reaches NZ
December 15, 2003

AN Australian pilot who became the first to fly over the South Pole in a homemade plane flew back to New Zealand today after being stranded on the ice for six days without fuel.

Jon Johanson from Adelaide in South Australia refuelled his single-engined plane with supplies donated by a British woman aviator who had abandoned a separate around-the-world attempt to fly over both the North and South Poles.

US and New Zealand Antarctic authorities had refused to help him out.

Johanson took off from the US McMurdo base ice runway just before 2:00am Monday (0000 AEDT) and touched down at Invercargill on the southern tip of New Zealand at about 2.55pm local time (1355 AEDT).

"He's safely landed and he's just going through the border control checks," Invercargill Airport operations manager Eric Forsyth said.

Aussierotor
Whilst still stranded, Johanson was asked (in an interview for ABC.net.au) if he'd been treated with courtesy, apart from the fuel issue?
"Oh always, with the Americans here and - and, of course, I'm dealing with the Americans. I've only ever met the New Zealanders three times. The American people on the ground here are just the most friendly, wonderful people that American people usually are. I couldn't speak highly enough of them."

Vfrpilotpb
15th Dec 2003, 18:41
Could some one confirm, wheter or not the Airspace at the South pole is FREE To FLY IN or is it private and owed by state or America.

Last week apparently some old Grannie was attempting to land her R44 on the ice, to have a meet up with her hubby who is out there walking across the South Pole.
Anyone??:ok:

Thomas coupling
16th Dec 2003, 08:32
Reuters, Sunday Dec 14th:
----------------------------------------------------

The Australian foreign ministry spokeswoman said Johanson's experience highlighted the need for proper preparation and consultation by anyone planning such a venture.

The United States and New Zealand have strict policies of offering little help beyond humanitarian assistance to try and discourage ad-hoc, unorganized adventures or tourism in the environmentally fragile Antarctic.

"Australia shares this position and will work with other countries toward a more effective tourism policy for the Antarctic in the coming months," the spokeswoman said.

------------------------------------------------------------

Takes a woman to sort you aussies out; both at home and in the middle of no-where:D :D

Next.............

coorong
16th Dec 2003, 19:59
Interesting thread about which 2 things emerge. Virtually all real adventure in the Antarctic stopped after Amundsen/Scott/Shackleton. Anything else has had the gloss taken off it because of the resources and technology [radio/materials/GPS/SAR] now available in huge quantities. It is really 'tourist adventure'. Perhaps the next one at the South Pole will be the first to do it wearing an England World Cup rugger shirt.

The second point is that Antarctica is unique in that it is virgin territory and is an open air laboratory for planetary/earth/oceanographic sciences. The more visitors or 'adventurers' who cross it, the more polluted it becomes to the detriment of us all. Every time I work, I am only too aware of how much pollution I cause! I accept this in my country as a necessary evil, but why do this to such a beautiful continent to be praised as an 'adventurer'. I would have more respect for someone who did it by surface means, or is that too dangerous?

BTW, I am planning to be the first person in all human history to fly backwards over an ice cube from my fridge without GPS soon, any sponsors out there?

Ascend Charlie
17th Dec 2003, 04:31
Sorry Coorong, you are too late. I have already done that.

But perhaps if you used a fridge WITH GPS your flight will be unique.

Lotsa luck.:E

Flying Lawyer
20th Dec 2003, 07:56
Report from 'The Age'

Johanson overwhelmed by Adelaide reception

An Australian pilot stranded in Antarctica after running low on fuel says he was overwhelmed by the reception he received when he landed in Adelaide last night.

Jon Johanson, who became the first pilot to fly a home-made plane solo over the South Pole, said he was surprised to learn of the high profile he had gained during his plight.

"It was almost overwhelming, there were so many people there, so many well wishers," he told the Nine Network.

"From where I've been I haven't fully been aware of everything that's gone on and it's surprised me so much.

"And then to have such a welcome home, what more could you wish for?"

Head winds jeopardised the 47-year-old's initial course to Argentina following his record flight over the South Pole and forced him to land at the joint United States-New Zealand McMurdo-Scott base on the Antarctic.

Mr Johanson asked US and NZ officials to sell him the 400 litres of fuel he required to return to NZ but, despite Australian government appeals, they refused under a policy of discouraging tourists to the base.

Relief came on Friday when British pilot Polly Vacher, who was forced by bad weather to abandon her attempt to fly around the world over both poles, offered Mr Johanson her spare fuel stored at the base.

Mr Johanson said rather than jeopardising his quest, he had taken the safe option.

"We re-built the plane so that we could fly literally right over the Antarctic continent," he said.

"By the time we made it to the South Pole we knew that things were going to be tightish and the team back here had actually contacted the British to see if we could use them as a safety outlet if we needed them and they basically said no.

"When that happened we really didn't have too many options on keeping it safe.

"I was very close to getting to where I wanted to but I always put safety first."

Mr Johanson flew home via Invercargill in New Zealand, where he said he received apologies from Kiwis embarrassed by their country's refusal to supply him fuel.

Mr Johanson's partner Sue Ball said it was lovely to have the pilot back home.

- AAP

Vfrpilotpb
22nd Dec 2003, 16:51
I feel Flying Lawyers post says quiet a lot about this saga of "Keep Out of our Playground", sad to hear the taxpayers of NZ are embarrassed by the pathetic actions of those people who refused fuel to a citizen from their near neighbours, and after all the mealy mouthed comments on this thread I am appalled to hear that the British Antartic base also refused help, what are all these tossers playing at!

Merry Christmas to all of you miserable lot in the Antartic:mad:

Aussierotor
23rd Dec 2003, 08:34
How come Polly Vacher didnt cause an uproar as well.
Only difference i see is that she had fuel stored there for a planned stop,while Johanson only landed to play it safe.

So the story of trying to deter adventurers is a load of hogwash

FatBoyFlyer
23rd Dec 2003, 09:26
It's hard to see how the British Base (Rothera) could have helped. There is absolutely no Avgas kept on base as BAS operate twin otters and a dash 7.
The only petrol is for use in Skidoos and honda generators used by field parties. This fuel is carefully budgeted for, at least a season in advance and there isn't a great deal of slack in the system. There aren't vast quantities of drummed petrol just lying around waiting to be "sold". And how much would they have to charge - try and imagine to true economic cost per litre of a drum of fuel two or three depots down the line. By the time it has been delivered to Depot X, the Twotter may have used 10 drums of Avtur. I would think that the situation at McMurdo is similar.
AFAIK Polly Vacher had fuel paid for and depoted for her trip, it wasn't "Base" fuel.

I have worked in the Antarctic for nearly 20 years but I don't know what the British policy is on "adventurers". I think it is done on a case by case basis. There is no blanket ban on entering the base such as that in force at South Pole Station (an American base) They always get a warm welcome on base, in my experience and help if required (but don't tell anyone...). Fuel (Avtur) may be supplied to other nation's aircraft but it is usually on a mutual back scratching arrangement.

FBF