PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur

Night Watch
12th Dec 2003, 08:52
Just been told during my last medical that I have a heart murmur. "soft systolic murmur at the apex"... whatever that means? I have been to get a cardiac echo-gram, and have been told by the technician that it is only a slight back flow of blood through the valve from the heart, and not to worry. I am waiting for the cardiologist to file his report to my doctor.

I have to say that despite the reassurances of most I talk to, I am extremely worried about losing my license.

I am 26.... and have had 2 ECG's in the past with no problems.

Any advice, explanations of what i am dealing with etc. would be appreciated.

Flyin'Dutch'
12th Dec 2003, 14:45
Hello NightWatch,

First I have to state that any information here is with the big caveat that I haven't listened to your ticker myself nor seen the result of the Echo.

From what you write it is most likely that you have a bit of mitral regurgitation. This basically means that the valve does not close altogether during the pumping phase of the cycle.

This is not an uncommon finding in otherwise fit and healthy individuals.

It is a misconception that ECGs tell all. They only give you information of the electric activity in the heart. You can not diagnose valve related matters, unless they cause problems for the heart, such as thickening of the heartmuscle etc.

I am no expert on CASA's viewpoint on these matters but reading between the lines of your post I think there may well be little clinical concern and you are likely to be OK for some more flying.

;)

FD

PS.: Keep us posted on your progress

Night Watch
12th Dec 2003, 14:51
Flyin'Dutch' ........ Thanks for the reply.

This basically means that the valve does not close altogether during the pumping phase of the cycle.

Thats exactly what they said.

Just trying to set my mind at ease a bit. I appreciate your comment

Flying Spice
12th Dec 2003, 17:55
Hi

I can understand your concern.. try not to worry.

I have a hypermobile alterior leaflet on my mitral valve.... (sounds exciting) but its not. Unlike yours mine doesn't leak just gets a bit excited sometimes...

I sometimes experience heart flutters because of it.. and like you was worried.

I had to go through stress tests on my heart and they have okay'd me....

I am pretty sure you will be ok (I am not a medical expert). Loads of people walk around with this and are completely healthy. Often they don't even know they have it.

Hope that helps

FS

QDMQDMQDM
13th Dec 2003, 00:16
Yes, if it's floppy mitral valve then generally not much to worry about. The echo will reveal all.