PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Crew at the Palace

Heliport
12th Dec 2003, 07:54
Full story here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=111889&referrerid=30158)

really not
15th Dec 2003, 19:47
Firstly - well done to the guys, nice flying.

Secondly - GETTING AN AFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Sounds like a normal days SAR at Culdrose, and certainly at Prestwick. Yet again the RAF staffwork rules, not that I'm bitter at being told that an operation 200nm into the North Atlantic, at night, close to icing conditions when the Irish SAR had given it up as too risky, involving 2 SeaComets and 2 RN Sea Kings to get a Spanish Fisherman off a boat in 60ft swells, land in the republic and then fly back to Scotland was "Just another task and not worthy of a commendation"

Can't quite remember the criteria for an AFC but would be interested to see the paperwork!

Not sour grapes(too much), just incredulous reaction to the level of award.

WASALOADIE
16th Dec 2003, 00:22
Really Not -

Certainly sounds like sour grapes to me. The fact is that someone in the hierarchy thought that the actions of the crew deserved the award and wrote them up for it.

I'm sure there have been occasions where the dark blue's have gained awards for thier actions where others have taken a similar view to yourself.

Honestly though, it's not the job for me, so fair play and well done to they guys who do it whatever service (or company) they represent. At the end of the day we all risk our necks in some way and it is nice to have the occasional recognition.

Well done to the boys on this occasion, especially Gucci (an ex-student of mine). Proud of you!

Tourist
16th Dec 2003, 23:47
Dont see any awards for the 771 boys who got there earlier.............