PDA

View Full Version : 19 Y.0. Girl Lands EMS Job

BlenderPilot
11th Dec 2003, 22:37
I thought this was pretty cool, way to go! (I thought this sort of weird stuff only happened on my side of town)

Read the story HERE (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/margie_boule/index.ssf?/base/living/1070975247301741.xml)

RDRickster
12th Dec 2003, 01:20
Good for her! That's motivation and dedication in action. Great story.

Thomas coupling
12th Dec 2003, 03:37
Question:
Would any UK operator give her a job as a HEMS driver????

[I wonder if the job she actually got, was as a co-jo?]

.:uhoh:

Ascend Charlie
12th Dec 2003, 04:37
Why is this story in Rotorheads?

The way that story reads, she is a plankie driver and flies an air ambo plank - not the highly demanding role of a helicopter rescue or similar.

ANYbody can fly a plank, in fact a plank flies itself.:yuk:

bloodycrow
12th Dec 2003, 05:13
..I'll second that

What's the big deal? Have yet to hear of the same in rotary.

RDRickster
12th Dec 2003, 05:45
It's good to see a youngster find their own way, especially when many older plank drivers would probably give their left testicle to have the same job. I plan on exposing my kids to aviation very early in life (when they turn about 5 years old).

My son already LOVES helicopters (good boy - that lad). I'm already saving up dollars for his helo training, if he chooses to do so. If not, I get a few vacations! Although I'm sure I would enjoy flying with my son, I would prefer that a different instructor teach him to be a pilot (log book endorsements being just one factor... can't have the old man signing things off - conflict of interest, not to mention that it would suspect by others - and that may inadvertantly cheapen his ratings).

I know one of the newly annointed Test Pilots at RHC, who was a rotorcraft CFI at the age of nineteen. He's probably 20 or 21 right now, and has a lot of time under his belt already. That's definately an achievement, but I like this particular story because it doesn't comform to norms.

Specifically, she didn't finish high school because she chose another path. It isn't that she was a slacker or didn't have the cognative abilities. What's interesting is how she approached her goal... it took tenacity and skill, which should be recognized (even if stuck wing). Okay... people fly planes, and PILOTS fly helicopters.

Don't get me wrong, higher education is very important (I graduated from George Washington University). Nevertheless, it should be noted that OVER 50% of the millionaires in America never went to college. Many of those didn't even complete high school. I guess my point is that it is nice to see someone define success by setting personal goals and working to achieve them, regardless of what expectations society may place on us.

Steve76
12th Dec 2003, 06:51
Should read:
19 year old girl lands job thanks to parents footing bill for flying lessons....
Hey! Bloody Crow....perhaps someone should write an article about ML...... he was pretty young for a 76 driver :p

C4
13th Dec 2003, 03:22
Its not a real EMS job, its fixed wing!!!!!

SASless
14th Dec 2003, 05:44
Do I sense some envy here.....green just doesn't suit you guys! In this day and time....it is a pleasure to read of some highly motivated and capable young person living their dream. Get a grip guys! Now if she trips up and does a helicopter add-on to her current fixed wing license.....oh, please tell me she would not do that...please! I sure hope she has some excellent advisors who take the time to explain quadraplegics cannot fly helicopters.;)