View Full Version : Spinning 2-axis controlled aeroplanes

Genghis the Engineer
11th Dec 2003, 18:22
There are a few aircraft, generally light, using a 2-axis control system. The obvious example are the family based on Mignet's flying-flea principle, but also ultralights based upon Chotia's Weedhopper come within the same bracket. They rely upon high lateral stability (generally provided by dihedral) combined with a powerful rudder for combined roll/yaw control.

A couple of years ago I was asked to run a spinning assessment on a 2-seat Mignet derivative (the HM1000 Balerit) which although it made me feel thoroughly unwell through numerous attempts to effect a spin entry, happily defied all and any attempts to get it to spin and ended up being declared "spin resistant" (a rare accolade). Although I've flown two others in the class (HM293, CH24b) which both had very benign stalling characteristics, it's the only one I've had reason or opportunity to investigate spinning.

So I'm curious, has anybody else evaluated an elevator/rudder combination 2-axis controlled aeroplane for spin / spin-entry? Are they inherently spin resistant, if so why - high lateral stability, high rudder power, both, something else altogether?

I don't have any particular reason to ask, except that I've a strong interest in all things related to spinning and it's an area I'm not sure I understand.

G

Cornish Jack
18th Dec 2003, 23:10
Not full sized, but R/C models, powered and glider, of various scales, so there may well not be any read across. Control authority in all instances was directly related to C.G. location. At about 25% MAC they wouldn't look at a spin. Back to 28% and with enough control displacement some would, some wouldn't. At 30% and beyond there was rarely any problem getting established and, in general, recovery was easy and predictable. I used to set most of mine up at 30+ for the gliders, so that if you caught a real boomer of a thermal there was a fair chance of getting them back :)