PDA

View Full Version : Thoracic and spinal surgery

chris.debeer
11th Dec 2003, 15:20
Good day all.

I had an engine failure after take off, at 300ft, at night, after leaving a short strip. Needless to say, there weren't many options left!

I suffered a burst fracture of T12.

I was first treated conservatively, but some of the fragments moved, and surgery became necessary. This surgery took place in July 2003.

I had a thoracotomy, for anterior decompression of T12, with anterior fusion of T11 - L1. The 10th rib was removed for better access, and to use for bonegrafting. An intervertebral cage, and other instrumentation was used.

How soon after surgery like this can I fly again? (yes I will fly again, as it wasn't my fault, the CAA investigators found problems with the fuel injectors). I am good shape again, having done a lot of physiotherapy, and swimming. The neurosurgeon is very happy with my back, and the bone graft is well settled.

Only problem I experience is that some of the muscles where they operated still get tired and uncomfortable after a few hours of work.

If any flying medical gurus out there can advise me on this I'll be very happy. If you like you can reply directly to me: [email protected] or post it to the board if you think the info will help others as well...

Thanks a lot.

Chris :ok:

AerBabe
11th Dec 2003, 21:46
I had a spinal fusion about 12 years ago. I can't remember the details of which vertebrae though... It was so long ago I can't remember much about it, but I do remember the pain and discomfort in the following few months. However, there have been no long-term affects. Flying and driving make me uncomfortable after a while, but I've no problems with heavy landings (not when i'm flying of course...) or with aeros. My back is a bit sensitive to the touch, but that's more psychological than physical. I would imagine that medical science has improved a fair amount since I had my op, and would guess you will have a good chance of little in the way of long-term problems.

.... and I always win the 'biggest scar' competitions. :p

You might want to try and contact someone who teaches Alexander Technique and get them to advise you on your posture. Play around with your chair until it's comfortable and take frequent short breaks. Try raising the back legs a little or the front, or putting some kind of padding behind your back. Also, try the Scoliosis Association UK. Although they're aimed towards people with spinal curvature, they often have useful advice on post-operative solutions.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :ok: