PDA

View Full Version : Canadian looking to fly in UK

ABFLYER
11th Dec 2003, 08:55
I hold a Canadian CPL with multi and IR ratings with 250hrs. I have the right to live and work in the UK and was wondering if anybody knows how much and what's involved in converting my license? Also what are the chances of getting a job? Chances here are pretty slim right now. Cheers.

YYZ
11th Dec 2003, 15:56
HI

A friend of mine is in the same situation as you, he managed to get a job in the UK but it was through a Canadian company.

Your prospects are as good in Canada as they are here, im not sure what it would cost to get what is needed but as it involves the CAA it will not be cheap, If you feel you have exhausted every avenue in Canada & you can afford to try the UK then go for it but rest assured the UK is very slow on the employment front too

CaptStar
15th Dec 2003, 00:55
Hey ABFLYER,

Unless you fly a CDN registered aeroplane you need to have the UK CPL/FATPL or the JAA CPL/FATPL.

I would talk directly to companies who are specialized doing this like OATS, Bristol, Bournemouth, Horizon etc. Just look through the classifieds of Flight International.

I assume that all you get for your Canadian License is a PPL.

You can do the JAA ATPL Theory on a fixed budget. You have to figure out how much flight training (real flying) you have to do.

I am starting my conversion at Horizon. If you primary goal is to fly in the UK it could make more sense for you to do your conversion in the UK, and start making contacts.

Canada Goose
15th Dec 2003, 19:02
Hi ABFlyer,

A quick insight .......

1. Class 1 Medical ...... abbreviated cos you already have a CPL, cost 243 Pounds ........ the initial HAS to be taken at CAA in Gatwick.
2. Take 14 ATPL written exams (approx. 2500 Pounds assuming first time passes .......... also add on accomodation fees for brushup courses and when sitting exams, as only 4 exam venues in UK !!)
3. CPL skills test ......... about 600 quid for test and obviously there will be some pre flight test training = costs. Must be taken in an a/c with retractable gear and v.pitch prop ...... single or multi).
4. Convert MIFR ....... 15 hours minimum (10 in expensive sim), 5 on multi a/c ....... flight test ....... 600 quid
5. MCC course ............. about 1500 quid

Chances probably the same as in Canada, except you could with 250 hours end up flying a B737 ...... something that weould never happen in Canada !!

Things are picking up .......

Cheers,
CG
;)

SAW
17th Dec 2003, 01:10
Hi folks I have the same question to pose however a slightly different resume. With a Canadian ATPL TT of 6000hr 1000hrs med and hvy jet FO and about 500 turbo prop. My question is does anyone know the conversion requirements. And what is the deffinition of a FATPL? Have sent a letter to the CAA licensing people in Gatwick but still waiting their reply. I understand I will have to write the 14 exams and I exempt from the ground school portion unfortunately thats all I know. Any advice and or tips. No I am not a Canadian before I get picked on.

Cheers