PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 Upgrade ed.

Jinkster
11th Dec 2003, 03:42
has anyone got the windows 98 upgrade edition for second edition.

I will be willing to pay for postage costs etc.

Many thanks

ormonde
11th Dec 2003, 04:05
As Microsoft stopped issuing patches for Windows 98 in June of this year, is it really worthwhile? With all the latest vulnerabilities not patched you could end up with a compomised computer.

Bre901
11th Dec 2003, 07:10
Microsoft to ditch older products (http://news.com.com/2100-1014_3-5116216.html?tag=nefd_pop) including Win 98

Jinkster
11th Dec 2003, 17:09
Does anyone know if windows ME will take up a lot of HD space as I only have 4GB to play with.

Jinkster

Does anyone have Windows ME, Windows 2000 with service pack 3 ?

I can trade with Office XP or send up/ down the postage costs.

I have windows xp pro but it takes up too much room on my small HD laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Jinkster

ormonde
11th Dec 2003, 22:57
Absolute minimum requirements fo Windows ME are set out below but somewhat higher specs are required to get a reasonable performance

Pentium 150MHz processor or better
32MB of RAM or better
Minimum 320MB free hard-disk space

Keef
11th Dec 2003, 23:28
To be honest, Windows ME is such a basket case that I'd stick with Win98 and take the risks. With a decent firewall, and care over viruses, it will provide good service.

Or get really "different" and try Linux!

I converted my previous PC from Win98 to WinME, and needed very slightly more HD space. I converted it back to Win98 not long after that, because it was too unstable to use.

I later ran it dual-boot with Win2000, which was excellent, stable, etc but didn't have the drivers I needed for the peripherals. So I used W2k for "real" work and W98 for other stuff. That PC is now up in the Welsh hideaway and working fine, using W98.

Does the laptop have the capability of fitting a larger hard drive? That would be a good fix!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Dec 2003, 00:24
Jinkster,

What is the speed of your CPU?

How much RAM do you have?

What is the size of your Hard Drive?

Do you have USB Ports? (So you can download the pictures from your new digital camera.)

That information would help figuring out which OS would be best for your current computer.

Take Care,

Richard

Jinkster
17th Dec 2003, 22:45
Hello,

Laptop - is a 350MHz with 4.02GB HDD. 128MB RAM.

I would use XP Pro - but takes up too much ( 75%) HD space.

Any options?

Jinkster

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Dec 2003, 23:56
Jinkster,

WinXP would fit on that computer but only running at 350Mhz with 128Mb of RAM, WinXP would bring that poor notebook to its knees.

In your case, Win98SE or WinME would be your best options. With notebooks you will find that WinME will work quite well.

With either OS, you just need the CAB files. Use a bootable Floppy to format the Hard Drive and make it bootable. If you copy the files xcopy32.exe and xcopy32.mod to a floppy you can assess it to make the copy of all files and subdirectories for you. (Make sure the bootable Floppy you use has the CD-ROM drivers on it so you can access Drive D)

With the A Prompt type this:

a:\xcopy32 d:\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.* /s

The /s means all subdirectories.

It will really speed up the process for you. (If you would rather just install from the CD-ROM and transfer the files over later, you can do that and just change the location of the Win98SE/WinME Cabs in the Registry. It is a very simple hack.)

Once you have the CAB files on your hard drive, boot from the notebook's Hard Drive and then go into the Directory:

C:\windows\options\cabs

And type SETUP. That will start the install right from your Hard Drive. (The only thing that will happen is Windows will bitch that there is already a windows directory and ask you if you want to make a new directory for the windows install, you just tell it to use windows and the rest of the install is straight forward.)

Take Care,

Richard