PDA

View Full Version : Another year of flying

TheJaywalker
10th Dec 2003, 22:37
I was trawling through past threads and found this one http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74807 started by FFF this time last year, thought it was a good thread and perhaps folks would like to give us an update on how 2003 went for them.

For me:

- Got my PPL(A) in August after 45 hrs
- Gained my Night rating in December

2004, hope to
- Complete my first Irish sea crossing
- Get some aerobatic training
- Have a bash at the Black Bottle challenge
- Complete my first channel crossing
- Gain IMC rating
- Buy a share

:)

fonawah
10th Dec 2003, 22:45
My aim for 2003 was to get my PPL.
Not quite there yet...28 hrs under my belt.
Hopefully get PPL by spring next year.

FlyingForFun
10th Dec 2003, 22:53
Gulp - I'd forgotten all about that :eek:

Ok, let's see what my plans were for this year. Hmm - seems like I haven't done too badly.

I wanted to pass the second half of my ATPL exams. I did that.

I wanted to get an IMC rating. I did that.

I wanted to get a CPL. I did that.

I wanted to get a Tiger Moth checkout. Didn't manage that. I did log 1.5 hours on a Tiger Moth, and loved every minute of it, but a combination of time and money meant that I couldn't finish it off. Instead, I got a sea-plane rating - does that count?

It was a mixed year, though, because I also had my first (and, I sincerely hope, last) aeroplane accident. It was minor, no one hurt, a few lessons to be learnt, and also a serious reduction in flying while the aircraft was repaired, but it put a damper onto what would, otherwise, have been a very successful flying year.

My plans for next year? Much simpler than last year. I aim to be being paid for flying by this time next year, most likely as an instructor.

I'd be very interested to know what everyone else has done this year - especially if you posted on my thread last year, in which case did you acheive what you wanted to? And if not, why not, and did you do anything else instead?

FFF
----------------

Evo
10th Dec 2003, 23:27
Well last year I said...

watched rain fall (October -> present)

Next year? Nothing in particular other than get to the 100 hour mark. Maybe start the IMC when the weather gets crappy again...

Well I watched rain fall until March, and haven't quite made it to 100 hours yet - logged around 50 hours (so far:) ) this year for a total of around 95. Wx permitting I might still make it.

Did a bit more than "nothing in particular" though; six new types (3 different Robins, 172, Citabria and Falconar) , 14/15ths of an IMC :* which may still get finished this year, a few hours of aeros :D :ok: :ok: and 10 on taildraggers - and i've just acquired a fifth of a PFA taildragger based at Goodwood (an all-PPRuNer group, although I guess not all as addicted as me). Didn't expect that a year ago.

Next year? Well 1/15th of an IMC, plenty more aeros and lots of taildragging to interesting places. Still got to fly myself to a PPRuNe fly-in (rather than be flown). I've got some other plans in mind too, will see if they happen. Maybe I should say "nothing in particular" again, seems to have worked well.... :)

Hampstead
10th Dec 2003, 23:36
2003: Got my IMC issued. Got checked out on a complex (Arrow). Hired a PA-28 from Jersey and spent a few days touring around France with an A340 captain mate of mine. Bought into a syndicate (TB-20). Started my JAA IR Ground school... very slowly

Fly Stimulator
10th Dec 2003, 23:40
I was just thinking about the old thread at the weekend.

A good flying year for me, with the exception of one major setback:

Upgraded NPPL to PPL/Night
Aeroplane destroyed by vandals
Got IMC rating while waiting for insurance
Bought replacement aeroplane
Fulfilled new year's resolution to fly myself outside the UK at least once each month
Added a few new countries and a lot of new airfields to my logbook
Checked out on SR20 and SR22 and had a great touring holiday around France in the former
Didn't get around to doing a tailwheel course
Didn't do any aeros either
Next year: Do a tailwheel course
Do an aeros course
Try to keep aeroplane safe
More touring
Have a go in a flexwing microlight when it gets warmer again

Kingy
11th Dec 2003, 00:07
Mmm.

Good and bad.

This year:

* Bought a new plane - broke it straight away! (should be flying again soon once I can get the Bl@@dy thing to go)
* Spent a lot of time working on my Fury - still not flying.. rahhh!
* Had some really nice trips in the Cub - Duxford was good..!
* Finally got the Spezio flying after 3 years yey. Then sold it
* Scared myself stupid in the Fred - loss of control at 150ft..
* Crash landed the Fred after an engine failure - Still being repaired.
* sold the Talorcraft (was a bit of a dog he he)
* introduced my friend to flying - he's now having lessons.
* logged 86 hrs so far this year - that's low for me, I've been busy working you see.

Next year:

*Take my Cub to Normandy to celebrate the 60th anniversary of D-Day.
* Get the Fury back in the air.
* think about doing my CPL (I want to instruct)
* spend less time tinkering, more time flying (yeah right)
* do Dawn to Dusk
* do some flying in the states
* fly into more 'real' airfields before my procedural skills slip.
* do some gliding, maybe buy a K6 or something..

Let's see how I do...

Kingy

In Altissimus
11th Dec 2003, 01:06
All in all, an excellent flying year for me I think.

* February - Finally took & passed GFT
* April - Realised club hire was not for me, hunted around for a group
* May - Found a great 172 group at my local field, converted to type - including a cross-channel trip.
* Late May - First solo trip over water (OK - only the Solent ;) ). First Crab & Lobster experience!
* June - Marginal WX flight to my first PPRuNe fly-in (Sherburn)
* July - Flew the group plane back from Land's End (longest single leg so far). Flew in to RAF Mona.
* August - First P1 international trip, to Galway and back.
* September - Organised a 'works' fly-out to L2K.
* November - Started IMC training.

I'll log about 55 hours this year.

Next year I'd like to...

* Finish IMC.
* Have a couple of glider lessons
* Do a long international trip (Estonia?)
* Visit friends near Aberdeen
* Maybe think about a faster steed

And finally - get my front teeth fixed properly
:} :} :}

Whirlybird
11th Dec 2003, 01:28
I didn't post on FFF's thread last year, which surprises me!

This year I.....

* Got my helicopter instructor's rating.
* Got a part time instructing job.
* Got current on f/w flying again (though that didn't last)
* Spent 5 days flying in the Highlands and Islands, including fulfilling a longheld ambition to land on Barra.
* Bought a share in a C150 (which has been stuck the other end of the country on maintenance ever since)

Next year I want to....

* Do more helicopter instructing than I am now
* Do some more f/w flying
* Get an IMC
* Possibly do a taildragger conversion
* Fly a floatplane
* Have a flying holiday in Europe

AerBabe
11th Dec 2003, 02:01
This year I wanted to
Get my tailwheel sign off
Start my IMC
Do some aeros training
Enter the BWPA Chairwoman's Challenge again

This year I have done none of the above.
I did do a few more hours in the Chippie and 35 minutes in a Cap10b with Cas Smith though. But at the weekend I'll be spending some time with an examiner to renew my licence...

stiknruda
11th Dec 2003, 02:30
Last year I predicted:

2003 Outlook
-----------------

More aeros comps
More fun flying
A x-channel Balbo with Pitts-mates

Achieved all of the above! 84.2hrs to date with hopefully another 2 or 3 before year end!

In addition, I helped out a couple of friends with some maintenance issues and spare parts. Am custodian of a lovely single seater till the owner returns from working overseas next summer.

Have enjoyed watching Arclite01 become quite proficient in the HAL26.

Well next year is already pretty mapped out: more of the above and an upgrade of my provisional DA to a real DA

PLUS

sometime between Chrimbo and New Year I take delivery of a 40' ICAO container and spend 2004, 2005 and a bit of 2006 cutting, shaping and welding all the bits in the box together to make an aeroplane again!! And again - as I bought enough 4130, T6/T3 ally and spruce to make two!

Still need at least one Lyc O360A4A, A4M or B4A.

Safe and fun flying to all.

Stik

FNG
11th Dec 2003, 02:34
Well, I managed a bit more than 35 minutes in a Cap 10b, but did not have a vintage flying year (although I did a small amount of vintage flying, in a SuperCub and also in a super Cub, enjoying the latter more than the former). Missed large chunks of the summer flying weather, was forced by circumstances too tedious to relate to sell my aircraft share (though the group still let me rent it, thanks guys), and generally got a bit ground-bound for a while.

Didn't do any courses or ratings, didn't significantly improve my aeros, still didn't read the 97,000 page GPS manual. Missed Project Propeller. Carelessly allowed self to get bounced and shot down by that Chipmunk out of Booker, again. Did fly widdershins all around London without bumping into Beelzebub as legend had predicted that I would. Did some jolly foreign flying.

Next year's plans:

Stop being rubbish at stall turns.
Keep promise to fly to visit friends near Nice.
Solo a glider.
Don't miss Project Propeller.
Think a bit more about doing an IMC.
Think long and hard about buying into a certain Cub I know of.

Oh, and this time, shoot down that Chipmunk.

Aim Far
11th Dec 2003, 03:19
Good thread.

This year:

Went on my first flying tour
Logged 155 hours
Got FAA IR
Did a complex check out
Changed jobs, thought seriously about flying for a living and decided not
Got IMC
Did the AOPA aeros course (nearly)
Bought a plane (OK not till next week but who's counting)

Next year:

Work out how to use that IMC and fly IFR in non-airway, non-radar environment
Join IO540's Group B (GPS thread) and see the world
Fly somewhere to ski
Fly somewhere to sail
Parachute out of a plane (once only)
Try to avoid personal bankruptcy

360BakTrak
11th Dec 2003, 04:06
Last Year - Managed to avoid crashing.
Next Year - Hope to avoid crashing.

Keef
11th Dec 2003, 08:08
Hey stik!

What're you building, then?

Meanwhile...

Aim for 2003: have fun, avoid crashing.
Achieved both. Not as much flying as I'd have liked, but I finished a long and hard academic study.

Did have a few fun sessions poling a friend's Yak52. It's "different" from a PA28!!!

Aim for 2004: go to USA and do a goodly chunk of flying; use the FAA IR in anger for the first time. Have fun; avoid crashing.

Charlie Zulu
11th Dec 2003, 14:32
Not a bad thread at all!

At the beginning of this year I had 390 hours with a CAA PPL.

This year:

FAA IR in July 2003
FAA CPL 4 days later
Flown through the 500 hour mark a couple of months ago

Next Year:

ATPL Written Exams (at least the first module)
FAA Multi Add-On
FAA Sea Plane Rating
Maybe an FAA CFI ticket as well
A shed load of hours...
Lots of time in America (Keef please look after our favourite "airplane")
Find an N reg aeroplane in this country to buy a share in...
Above all else... safe flying.

Happy Christmas to all.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Chilli Monster
11th Dec 2003, 16:45
Beginning of this year I had 195 hours and was thinking of stopping flying, due to nothing new on the horizon (CAA PPL/IMC/Night/Lapsed Multi) - however :) :

Introduced to RHS of Citation II, lots of time (which can't be logged yet!)
Renewed multi-rating, followed by building up the multi hours on an Aztec
Did the FAA PPL / Instrument / CPL writtens - all good passes.

Off to USA to do FAA CPL and IR (all multi-engined)
More Citation (loggable hopefully) and Aztec time
Possible Citation type rating

At which point I shall be broke - but with a big smile :O

knobbygb
11th Dec 2003, 18:09
Last year I said...I'm determined to get the license before the end of the year Which I did - on 11th December 2002, which means today is... MT BIRTHDAY. Not my official birthday, but my 'Pilot Birthday'. I reckon we should all celebrate this momentus day in our flying careers, after all, even the queen has two birthdays and she hasn't even soloed yet (as far as I know) ;)

Anyway, since last year I've:

logged 38hrs of P1 time
got checked out in the Robin 2160
got my FAA reciprocal license and flown in Florida
got checked out in the pa38 in Scotland
got huge credit card bills....

Next year:

more US flying
get that taildragger training done

ACW 335
11th Dec 2003, 19:24
2003:

*Got my PPL in 36 hours (Don't ask!)

*Hit 90 hours SLMG (Military)

*Started my Night Rating

Aims for 2004:

*Complete my Nigt Rating

*Find someone down south who does taildragger/SLMG skills test

*Start my IR

*Work more and get more money for an ATPL

All in all...not a bad year for a very skint 18 year old! :ok:

Dave Gittins
11th Dec 2003, 19:31
Re Read last years post, as usual didn't get to do the things I intended, didn't go far and didn't visit France (at least not by air), the club lost the use of the 172 so I never did get to fly it in England.

I did fly twice in Tenerife in a 172, out of Reina Sofia, including a practise ILS and some interesting VFR departures.

Also flew an ex-Stapleford 152 in Heraklion. 7,000 ft to get over the mountains is hard work in a 152 on a 30 C day !!!!

Apart from that pottered around southern England, made first visits to Goodwood and Sandown and did my biannual "instruction flight" at Plymouth.

Next year ??? Who knows. What I should do is an IMC and Night ratings. I will be off to Tenerife again on Orville and Wilbur's 100th anniversary, so will be airborne in a BMI A321, shame I haven't got my "hands on" for that occasion, but at least I'll be flying.

I intend to fly the 172 again in Tenerife and then whenever I can will probably just bimble about, circumnavigating the Gatwick Zone and so on.

Whatever I do, flying will always be fun.

Have a Merry Christmas and a very airborne New Year.

Dave

Another St Ivian
11th Dec 2003, 19:48
At the start of this year I decided that I would apply for every flying scheme, scholarship and such like available to me with the intention of getting a PPL, furthering my flying training and a career in the Armed Forces in the long term.
So I did just that. With the aid of a GAPAN Flying Schol. I did my PPL this summer, I also did a Pilot Navigation Schol. with the RAF on an Air Experience Flight through the Air Training Corps and also finished off a Flying Scholarship on the same AEF. I am still working on the Royal Navy but with some luck it will pan out in the coming year.
During 2004 I hope to do a Night Qualification, finish off my final year of 6th form with decent results and join the Royal Navy.

ASI

DRJAD
11th Dec 2003, 20:07
Well, here are last years, with updates!

Build hours locally, and slightly further afield. DONE (about 150 hrs now)
Get Class 2 medical to convert NPPL to PPL. DONE (got JAR-PPL in April)
Start on IMC and night ratings. Half DONE (got IMC in October, about to start Night rating)
Perhaps look for a syndicate to join. Not done.

Look for ways to reduce aviation bills to a muted roar.
Do more excursions to places I've wanted to fly to for some time.
Enjoy flying.

stiknruda
11th Dec 2003, 22:16
Keef,

You asked: What am I building?

Same as before: symmetrical winged bi-plane, stock except for a few minor speed and handling mods. I want to make it very light!

Stik

AerBabe
12th Dec 2003, 07:02
FNG - Which Chipmunk are you hoping to shoot down? :confused:

Stik - You've forgotten the important question - what colour will it be? ;) (And how are you going to fit it into your hangar?)

dmjw01
12th Dec 2003, 07:39
Great thread!

My objectives for 2003 were: to do more French flying, and dabble in a little bit of strip flying. Didn't really achieve the former at all, but with a trip to Hus-Bos and to Woodchurch (Wings n'Things was fantastic!) I sorta made a start with the strip flying.

What I did manage was a C182 checkout - my first wobbly prop. I've also managed to clock up about 70-odd hours of fun and useful experience so far this year - the weather's been really kind to me - which means that I've hit the 200 hour mark. I've also enjoyed meeting some new friends at various fly-ins.

2003 also gave me my first engine failure - fortunately whilst I was still on the ground, but it was a stuck valve so it could have been "interesting" if it had happened during take-off. As a fairly recent entrant into the world of aircraft group ownership, this was also my first "big bill" experience. :(

Objectives for 2004: Let's see if I can do some proper French flying this year ;) . Also, I have set myself a New Year's resolution: I will get my a*se in gear and file a drawback claim for every foreign flight.

kabz
12th Dec 2003, 11:19
Achievements during 2003 :

= got faa private multi ir (possibly the highpoint of my flying abilities)
= did nothing
= leave of absence from job
= did nothing
= did some multi
= did nothing
= more multi
= did nothing
= more multi
= fired from job
= got faa commercial multi
= got faa commercial single add-on
= currently doing nothing (possibly reading Fate is the Hunter AGAIN)

As of December, my hours are hovering around 250 TT with 50 multi.

Next year should bring the faa cfi / cfii / mei ratings, and I have an instructor job lined up if all goes well.

Season Greetings to all !!!!!! And safe flying !!!!!

Gilky
12th Dec 2003, 15:44
Feb 2003

* Went on holiday to South Africa
* Girlfriend hit me with a surprise trial lesson
* Got the bug

May 2003

* Started PPL

Aug 2003

* Went solo :D :D :D

By Dec 2003

* Got 30 hours
* Done 4 exams
* Got R/T licence
* Getting v excited about prospect of first solo flight away from field, wx permitting :*
* Totally skint

Plan 2004

* Raid girlfriend's piggy bank - it's her fault after all
* Finish PPL
* Fly girlfriend to Le Touquet for lunch

Penguina
12th Dec 2003, 20:33
OK, didn't post on last year's thread (as far as I can remember) but

Aims for 2003 were:

To get current again and finish PPL (achieved, with much angst and palava);
To take my first passenger (achieved);
To get a better-paid job so I can fly more (abject failure to get finger out on this one, too busy flying and stuff).

That was about it I think. Not too bad, though tainted with my first couple of 'experiences', meaning that I'm much less happy about flying now than I was when I did my test. However, I am still flying; obsession is tenacious! :)

Have had some good experiences too, notably the largely-untraumatic adventure in Holland and have also managed to kick my tendency to be ashamed of being a pilot and wannabe and have met lots more people to share my interest with.

Next year I would like to:

Save in the first half of the year then hours build somewhere exciting in the second half;
Do at least one aerobatics lesson;
See what the North of England and Scotland charts look like!
Meet more people of my level I can fly with;
Do some more easy competitions because they're fun!
Would dearly love to get IMC, but might need death of rich uncle to achieve it on top of keeping current and saving.

And to stay safe and to trust myself more. :cool:

Circuit Basher
12th Dec 2003, 21:06
Another one who managed not to post on last years thread, but resolutions for 2004 are as follows:

Get IMC (course booked for Feb 04)
Book aircraft on good weather days so I can go further (last 3 flights have been local area only due Wx)
Get checked out on C182 (3 attempts weathered off so far)
Do 2 PPRuNe fly ins (maybe get one North of the border OR have a mass PPRuNe Black Bottle Challenge entry!)

GuinnessQueen
13th Dec 2003, 00:28
I didn't post either last year, but have had lots of fun this year...

-Somehow charmed my way to a flight in SR-20
-Converted FAA PPL to JAA PPL
-Got taildragger rating on Chippie (Grinability factor)
-Joined cheap local flying club
-Started night rating
-Sat 8 ATPL exams....still waiting for results!

And the new year resolutions...

-Try and charm my way to a flight in YAK 52 with previously mentioned SR20 driver (You know who you are)!
-Complete ATPL groundschool with a hint of sanity left
-Finish night rating
-Get confidence to attend pprune fly in
-Grovel my way into any spare seats in anything that flys (hints for Bristol area flyers)!!
-Find and marry rich (preferbly old) man
-Complete ATPL with husband's inheritance!
(The last two need to occur in that sequence really)!

oh, and if there's any time or money left, do some aeros.

:O

Happy landings

GQ
[Edited for spilling!]

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Dec 2003, 02:06
- Retrained and got my licence back after (mumble) years of not flying
- Floatplane training (didn't quite get the rating, but good fun)
- Someone let me steer a Beaver for a few minutes

EEJay
13th Dec 2003, 03:08
First full year with PPL.

Building on experience and going places.
Now part owner of a Beagle Pup which has replaced all other affections (how can one be in love with a load of tin and a Lycoming?)

2004 - IMC and more places to visit.

Roll on spring and longer days.

gliderman69
13th Dec 2003, 03:09
ummmmmm

- left Sweden after spending 3 wonderful years there flying at the local gliding club

- Started PPL in March

- Finished PPL in August (those gliding hours really helped!)

- Highlight to date is playing Captain in a 737 simulator while my flatmate practiced for a 737 rating assement

- Continue flying and re-live the words from the poem High Flight everytime I am in the air

englishal
13th Dec 2003, 03:24
------

-Joined a syndicate
-This summer experienced bonny Scotland
-Experienced the joys of fromtal IMC with embedded Cbs in there while trying to work out how the storm scope worked:}
-Went to America and got my Single and Multi CPLs added on
-Experienced the joy of night time high desert flying with a full moon (beautiful)
-Added another 100hrs or so to my tally
-Hope I win the lottery so I can pay for it all :D

------

-Plan to get my CFI, CFII and MEI ratings early on
-GET PAID for flying :D
-Buy a plane....maybe....
-Start an 'aviation related' business....maybe (dunno what yet)

Cheers
EA

TheKentishFledgling
13th Dec 2003, 17:37
Only really had one aim for 2003 - to be at solo standard for 25th July, and hopefully solo on that day, which (only just!) happened! :D

So a super flying year as far as I'm concerned.

Aims for 2004
------------------

Complete all PPL training and exams, and have PPL application on the CAA's desk for the 25th July, so the licence can be issued that day, and I can collect the ticket from Gatwick and fly my folks on the 25th.

tKF

ratsarrse
13th Dec 2003, 19:06
I can only say that I have read all of your posts with more than a hint of jealosy. All you people doing great and positive things! My year was a game of two halves, really. Everything went swimmingly for the first six months - I wasn't flying as much as I would have liked, but progress was being made. The last six months were a bit grim in terms of flying. On the last thread, my aims for 2003 were:

Finally get my PPL!
Even if I have to sell my parents and their dog into slavery

I have to say that I achieved neither. My parents and dalmation are still free citizens (well, I'm not sure that the dog is actually a free citizen, but lets not be too pedantic). As for the PPL - very frustrating! Things started quite well, but work commitments got the better of me over summer - I spent much of summer glaring resentfully out of the office window at all that lovely weather. Then, as a nice long stretch of regular doses of free time for flying opened up, I had appendicitis, which knocked the wind out of my sails for a bit. All of which has led to some general despondency, disillusionment and navel gazing. Much like Gordon Brown, I also found that the books didn't balance. Unlike, our esteemed chancellor, I don't feel that borrowing against future growth is a good idea.

So for 2004:

[list=1]
[/list=1] [list=1]
Find some more cash, somehow *sigh*
Recommence flying when (1) is resolved. Alternatively, I could just whack it all on the credit card, even though I know that is a very bad idea.
[/list=1]

Keep the positive stories and lofty ideals for the year ahead coming - I need some inspiration!

Edited just to say:
One more aim for 2004 is to get a PPRuNe personal title to mark my upcoming 500th (probably pointless and probably rightfully ignored) post...;)

Pink_aviator
14th Dec 2003, 00:14
I came new into flying in 2003 ,
(my new years resolution to get my feet off the ground and into the air and and see if I could do it .FLY.)

SO ,I strated flying at Easter 2003 ,intendindg to pass ,or succeed in 2004 sometime .

I then flew five times aweek ,so suddenly thought I would complete in 2003 again.

I then realised DOH ,I had seven (hard for me )exams to pass first
so skills was looking back on for 2004 .

Did pass 4 exams ,
Did see off two fying instructers
Did unexspectedly run away from home so disrupted my finances and training .
Did start to fly again at busy airport,so skills is back on again .
Did meet lots of Pprunnes
AM going to first GAT BASH

SO NOW FOR NEXT YEAR (YOU HEARD AND WITNESSED IT HERE FIRST )

Will pass the other exams ,
will pass my skills .
Will stop falling for flying instructors
AND
Will stop running away from home .

the PINK AVIATOR

Pianorak
14th Dec 2003, 03:14
Until April this year I had never been in a light a/c or knew what GA stood for. :confused:

January 2003

* Bought Flight Simulator
March
* Got bored with Flight Simulator
May
* Started PPL
June
* After 15 hrs was about to give up when FI no. 2 saved the day.
August/September/October
* First solo/First solo navigation/First solo landaway

By end of Oct. all exams, incl. R/T, passed and out of the way.
Very little flying since due wx.

Hoping for fine weather to finish PPL soon. :ok:
Night qualification.
IMC ?
Join a syndicate?

Kolibear
14th Dec 2003, 04:23

Well, the theory was to fly as much as possible and when the long hot summer weather arrived I thought 'Great - lets go exploring!' Unfortunately, my appendix decided it had plans of its own and the result was 2 months grounded.

I managed to get to the Compton Abbas Fly-in with FFF, but shortly after, the aircraft came out in sympathy with my appendix and went sick for six weeks. As soon as she was fixed, the weather broke so I've only managed to fly about 25 hours this year.

So 2004-

Fly to new destinations and learn the art of short-field landings.

Tiger_ Moth
14th Dec 2003, 04:50
This is a splendid thread!

my achievements were:
;) got my license on Tiger Moths
;) got signed off to do loops and spins on my own
;) took my mummy and daddy for rides

next year I want to:
:D have a go at a Turbulent
:D Do lots more aeros
:D fly around beautiful fluffy clouds on wonderful summer days at 8000ft in a plane that's more than three times older than myself, thinking how lucky I am.

I miss flying!

FNG
14th Dec 2003, 18:17
Well done, T-M

Aerbabe, sorry for belated reply to your qestion about 19 pages further up. I don't really mean to shoot down the Chilterns Chipmunk, just to get the better of it in a turning contest. Whoever flies it is a cheerful soul who, if he or she sees another aerobatic aircraft, tips in and requests a dance.

Wide-Body
14th Dec 2003, 19:29
FNG

Next year we WILL get you up in the Chippy. As for the turning contest, MMMMMmmmmm, see you North of Whisky 2500 feet!!!. Only joking. Think the little rallye would be best for out turning. Just had a thought. Would you like to do a Chippy flight on the 17th ? We are getting the toy box out

Regards

Wide

PS the \Chipmunk that out turned you wasn't just south of Princess Ris about 3 months ago?

FNG
14th Dec 2003, 19:37
Cheers Wide, I do plan to be at WLAC on the 17th, if only for runway hopping through the clag, so any chance of a Chipmunk jaunt would be greatly appreciated. I might even bring my tasteful flying suit.

I naturally attempt to blame getting burned by that Chippie on my passenger, who didn't like pulling g (a good enough excuse for my gash flying). It was near Princes Ris, but not three months ago, so that's your claim unconfirmed.

Wide-Body
14th Dec 2003, 19:39
FNG

Great meet at the club, now must find logbook to see the real date!!!

Wide

charlie-india-mike
14th Dec 2003, 22:17

Objective to get my IMC rating..........Done Passed yesterday 14/12

Thanks to all who made this possible.

Objective to fly as many different types as possible and towards the end of the year look for a share in somthing.

C-I-M
:D :D

TheKentishFledgling
14th Dec 2003, 23:57
Well done CIM!

tKF

arrow2
16th Dec 2003, 00:08
This year 2003:

* Flew a glider for the first time in about 25 years - wonderful
* Spent 1 day in the F16 simulators at Luke AFB Arizona. Got shot down 3 times. Only shot my adversary down once and that was when he was established on the ILS! Hopeless.
* 1 hour Left hand seat in a twin for the 1st time under instruction - Beech Duchess in the States. Again good fun.
* Engine failure in friend's C177 near Scampton. Managed to get it on the ground at Wickenby. Lots of lessons learnt. Change of underwear.
* Drinking beer and whisky under the stars at the RSA rally at Chambley in July, with my tent and my Arrow next to me with good friends.
*Learning all about diesel engines in giving Mark Wilksch a lift back from RSA.
* Weekend in La Baule and Quiberon in the sun - two of my favourite places.

Next year:

*More French touring as always
*Another long weekend in Phoenix with all types of flying.
*Flying safely
*2 skiing hols combined hopefully with a go at the Courcheval ski ramp in a Jodel or Robin.

Events always turn out different to those planned for me

A2

Dewdrop
16th Dec 2003, 20:51
Funny year.

During Jan and Feb nearly gave up learning to fly. No instructor, crap weather, but stuck with it.

QXC 28th Sept

Flight test 24th Oct

Licence received 17th Nov.

Next year.

Build P1 hours to 50, TT to 100.

Night rating

Stay safe and have fun

Ace Rimmer
18th Dec 2003, 16:00
Highlights of this year
added CRJ 700 and 900 and EMB170 to log book
Flew some Texan rellys to France for lunch

Low lights
Havent flown enough
Havent done the tail dragging conversion
Havent managed to pursade Mrs R that aircraft ownership (or part ownership) is a good thing.

Next year's ambitions fix the low lights