PDA

View Full Version : Flying Training

ACW 335
10th Dec 2003, 20:13
Couple of questioins regarding flying training:

Since the disbandment of JEFTS at Barkston Heath and now DE pilots dong their training at UAS's, has the numbr of hours completed during at EFT changed? It was 62 for EFT at BH and around 90 for those undergraduates at UAS's. Is this still the case, but with DE pilots doing 62 hours at a UAS (i.e has there been any change in the amount of hours?!)

Is it still 124 hours at Linton? And is there any difference in the roles of 72SQN and 207SQN?

Where is the CFS course for creamed instructors run seeing as Topcliffe is no longer?

And what is the duration of Advanced flying training at Valley?

Is the MELIN course still run at B.Heath on the firefly?

Thanks in advance! :ok:

noprobs
10th Dec 2003, 20:44
The RAF EFT syllabus has 62 flying hours (same as the RN, but longer than the Army) for all students. Undergraduate students, because of the non-continuous nature of their training, are expected to use more Incidental Allowance (IA), so they will typically fly some 80 hours over 3 or 4 years. All RAF students are assessed on their performance in the Tutor up to and including the final handling test, and this information is used as the basis for streaming.

MELIN is still flown at Cranwell, alongside 45(R) Sqn, but now in the Firefly 260, as used at Barkston Heath for RN and Army EFT.

Werty
10th Dec 2003, 22:32
What an extraordinary number of questions. Who are you?

BFJT is still about 120 hours long. With Topcliffe now closed, all Tucano flying takes place from Linton including all instructor training and the Tucano Air Navigation Sqn for the back seat types.

207 and 72 Sqns run exactly the same courses, with all odd numbered courses belonging to 207 and all even ones to 72.

208 Sqn does Advanced Fast Jet Flying at Valley. The course is about 60 hours and takes roughly 6 months including ground school. Most students then go to 19 Sqn to do tactics and weapons training.

Sorry - lots of boring numbers there, but you did ask...:bored:

ACW 335
10th Dec 2003, 22:42
Cheers Werty - boring numbers is just what i need :\ LOL

pr00ne
11th Dec 2003, 02:54
Werty,

"with Topcliffe now closed"

When did that happen? Airfield closed completely or just the Tin cans moved to Linton?

ACW 335
11th Dec 2003, 03:24
The Tucanos are all at Linton. Topcliffe is now home to the VGS which useed to be at Catterick, flying the Vigilant. 645 VGS IIRC

SunderlandMatt
11th Dec 2003, 06:32
So what training (at EFT level) do the RAF and RN miss out on that the AAC do?

I'm guessing they do more low level nav? But then why not have a decision point on streaming, then those who get FJ leave and go to Linton and those who get rotary say on for a few more hours doing whatever it is that the AAC chaps do? :hmm:

I'm one of the few people who has completed EFT to a good standard with a UAS, then joined the Army. So in a few months, I'll be doing the whole thing over again! Oh what a joy :p

noprobs
11th Dec 2003, 15:48
SM.

Read more carefully. RN and RAF fly 62 hours, Army do 40. Main omissions are aeros, formation and solo time. The logic behind this is based on the lack of streaming, so they do the minimum needed as a lead-in to DHFS. Having done RAF EFT, you will have a distinct advantage.

Werty
12th Dec 2003, 00:34
Oops, sorry to confuse. Topcliffe IS still open as an airfield, and is much used by Linton based Tucanos for circuit practice but, with the exception of the gliding school, there are no RAF training units based there anymore. Linton provide the air trafficers.

DB6
13th Dec 2003, 03:33
ACW, JEFTS did not disband at Barkston, only the RAF squadron at Church Fenton. Army and Navy training still done at Barkston - now called DEFTS to be accurate. UAS students now given 62 hours, same as DE flight, however as noprobs says will do more due to lack of continuity (but not the 90-odd hours they used to get).

ACW 335
13th Dec 2003, 03:48
Cheers for that DB6
I take it that DEFTS stands for 'Defence' Elemetary Flying Training?

Another St Ivian
13th Dec 2003, 10:45
DEFTS does indeed stand for Defence Elemetary Flying Training.

ASI

AllTrimDoubt
13th Dec 2003, 17:13
DB6

Nice to see you online and keeping the myths at bay re CF t et al!

Rgds!

DB6
13th Dec 2003, 20:25
One does one's bit. I like to keep abreast of the good bits as it's all getting buried in airline stuff these days. I'll have to try the AEF flight at Glasgow :E .
Regards to all at Linton if you're still there.