PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Funnel

silvereagle
10th Dec 2003, 19:40
Occasionally, I have to refuel using jerrycans. I am keen to find a good funnel which not only fits the fuel orifice but also ensures that only clean, uncontaminated fuel goes down the hole!

I have looked around various places for a little while now and can find only cheapo plastic funnels whose filters are not going to stop the more harmful contaminants. I have seen funnels with muslin type filters in the past - all of them seemed to be home made.

Does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for? The aircraft is a taildragger Europa with the standard filler on top of the fuselage.

Mark 1
10th Dec 2003, 20:52
The microlight folk may well have something.
Though, whenever I've used a funnel to re-fuel, I've lined it with a chammy leather. This will hold back water and contaminants while the fuel passes through quite easily if a little slowly.
Works fine for a VW powered single seater with a 25l tank.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Dec 2003, 21:24
Any microlight shop will sort you out. There are large yellow plastic funnels used by most people which come with reasonable filters, but the Rolls-Royce of products is something called "Mr Funnel", which comes in two sizes and both has a very good filter, and a stunning flow rate that is about as fast as you can pour.

One source of "Mr funnel" is here (http://www.microlightsport.co.uk/Catalogue/New/New_List/new_list_5.htm) but most microlight shops will carry it or an equivalent.

Incidentally, most government surplus shops these days sell "bendy spouts" for jerry cans with a coarse filter in them. Those work very well in conjunction with a funnel to prevent spillage.

If for any reason you don't like those options, the Light-Aero catalogue carries a fine selection of funnels.

G

Tinstaafl
10th Dec 2003, 21:32
If you choose the chamois route, don't forget to wet (?) it with fuel before relying on it filtering water.

ToryBoy
11th Dec 2003, 00:00
Have just found one for you. Go to www.surplusandoutdoors.com (sorry I dont know how to do a link) and then click on "Army Surplus". Then click on "Hardware" and you will see what I am talking about. It's a nozzle that fits onto a jerry can.

Surely if you clamp the nozzle over some chamois then it will work a treat?:confused:

stillin1
11th Dec 2003, 01:52
I use the one indicated by G the Engineer' link, on a Europa. Water and cr@p filter, fits the filler hole unsupported and weighs next to nothing (therefore lives in the plane).

Great bit o kit

silvereagle
11th Dec 2003, 02:15
Many thanks, gang. I knew someone would know! Mr Funnel it is!