PDA

View Full Version : Becoming A Dispatcher

bdconnolly
10th Dec 2003, 06:36
Can Anyone help me please.

I have a friend who is very much interested in becoming a flight dispatcher. What is the best way to become one, is it through becoming a check-in crew memeber first, or becoming a ramp agent or is there another way. I would greatly appreciate any help please.

Thanks very much.

Brian

acukwik
12th Dec 2003, 00:47
Brian

suggest you talk with the clowns at IJS. They could guide you on how to become a dispatcher.

ACK

DeltaT
29th Dec 2003, 00:50
usually helps if you have at the very least a PPL, maybe CPL

ohitsmonday
29th Dec 2003, 05:26
connolly
depends what you mean by dispatcher... if you mean ramp co-ordinator then look for the handling agents at the airport(s) of your choice. There are many to choose from - Servisair, Groundstar, Aviance and several more. Which airport are you interseted in?
If you mean Airline Ops personnel, again let us know which airport is best for you and maybe can point you in the right direction.
Airline Ops is harder to get into, probably better paid...but nowhere as much fun as working on the ramp.

Good luck

Leezyjet
30th Dec 2003, 08:01
I started with Servisair as a Check-in Agent and worked up from there.

It's much easier to get in the door as a check-in agent then work up once you are in than it is to go directly into a dispatch role where the competition is greater for fewer jobs.

Having a PPL or CPL is not necessary at all to become a flight dispatcher. Just showing an interest in the job/department and asking to go shadow in the department from time to time is good enough.

Things are very much differant in the US though than they are in the UK. In the US you are required to be licensed and have to complete a training course similar to what the pilots do (but without the flying part) to get a job.

:)

DeltaT
6th Jan 2004, 00:46
While a limited flying background may not be a requisite for some (was for my job), it sure as hell has to put you in front of someone who hasn't got it.

supersmashing
13th Jan 2004, 01:10
A little harsh I think Capt.....

Undoubtedly there are many problems you constantly come across as a Dispatcher that leave you speechless, but then there are times that you wouldn't change it for the world...

Plus it is a good grounding for bigger and better things...

yours, a happy ex-Dispatcher (now in a nice warm Ops office)

joe
17th Jan 2004, 21:52
i know i am jumping on the band wagon hear a bit but.

I am just about to finish my fATPL and want to get air-side work pref at Manchester whilst i file off numerous applications for flying jobs.

I have searched in vain for websites etc (Got Groundstars) and Aviation job search etc. But really want to know what job should i apply for, which will get me in contact with pilots each and every day.

Will anyone even touch me if they know i have a fATPL and will be off as soon as i (IF Ever) get a flying job.

So in summary can anyone help.

Thankyou in advance.