PDA

View Full Version : Elvington

Tommyinyork
10th Dec 2003, 02:19
Has anyone heard the rumour that Elvington is going to run air taxi services, does this mean it will oficially become an airport and will there ever one day be passenger flights operating.

billovitch
10th Dec 2003, 05:50
Don't know Tommy but Elvington is a name to conjour with - did my first solo there about a hundred years ago in a JP and also a practice diversion on my last RAF flight in a Victor K1a.

Remember my instructor saying "Elvington is the shape of a big gun and it points to Church Fenton!" It did too and helped me find the way home a few times...

soddim
10th Dec 2003, 06:33
Ah, those were the days when York had the green gasometers - did my first solo at Elvington too - never forgave my QFI's lack of confidence in me - you could land a JP across that runway it was so big.

Great museum there now.

DC10RealMan
10th Dec 2003, 13:48
I am not to sure about air taxi services, but you can still land at Elvington today. I often use it when visiting the Yorkshire Air Museum as it is a long drive from Goodwood!.

Capt BK
10th Dec 2003, 17:23
The last I heard is that Elvington is indeed going through the motions to become licenced but not sure how far through the process they are, if they have started at all yet!

The air taxi is a new one to me but I have to admit i'm not suprised. I do know there is someone already lined up to do heli pleasure flights.

I wouldn't hold your breath about pax flights though. The runway is massive with very few local obstructions, and the museum is good but other then that there is nothing there and would need major investment.

LFS
10th Dec 2003, 18:15
Elvington is indeed trying to get licenced to become a GA / Business aerodrome, check out www.elvington.biz I believe they are having the usual problems with planning for the hanagars etc, too many local NIMBY's. If you can, give it some support if licensed with hangars etc it would be a much needed facility for GA in this part of the world.

Tommyinyork
11th Dec 2003, 02:02
Why are people always moaning, it isnt as if they are going to have 767s flying over there house, they will only be a few flights per day and private jets tend to be very quiet.
Stop moaning people you wont be waken up in the middle of the night by a huge aeroplane.

LFS
11th Dec 2003, 02:27
Tommy, very true. I believe the owner has categorically stated he doesnt want an airport, just a decent GA airfield with some access for biz etc. It may still happen we shall just have to wait and see, such a waste if it doesnt cause of a few NIMBYs.

Zlin526
11th Dec 2003, 04:41
Ah yes, but I believe the owner of Elvington has a rather noisy Hunter T7. That's guaranteed to annoy the neighbours after a few weeks.

llamedos
24th Dec 2003, 20:12
ooh that sounds like a bit of jealousy. You should be supporting aircraft noise not running it down. How would you feel if you were the one lucky enough to have a Hunter.

Zlin526
25th Dec 2003, 07:00
LLamedos,

Nah, not jealous, just stating a fact. How can somebody 'support' aircraft noise?

Merry Christmas http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/santa_2.gif

Sleeve Wing
26th Dec 2003, 02:53
Tommy,
All power to their elbow I say. It would be great if The Big E was to open again as a GA aerodrome.
As a number of us on this thread, I used to pop down in a Vampire from Linton in the early Sixties to hammer the circuit,as well as visiting for some super motor-racing on Sundays.
Yeah, let's get it open again. Maybe I could then pop in from the far South, in a Super Cub this time! That would be a worthwhile trip; loved Yorkshire - to a young twenty year old, they really made me feel at home.
Rgds,
Sleeve. :ok: