PDA

View Full Version : Transatlantic flight booking

DubTrub
9th Dec 2003, 22:55
When, in your opinion, is the better time to book a flight over pond, when looking for the best (and possibly lowest) price.

I wish to go to ORD next July, the prices seem quite high at the moment. In previous years, I have not paid nearly as much, but I have generally booked about 6-8 weeks prior to flight.

Also any suggestions for good web-based flight sources?

DT

san diego
10th Dec 2003, 00:11
July is going to be expensive whenever you book, it's peak season and there are fewer flights now than in the past. this summer the flights to the US were absolutely packed in July and August so you shouldn't leave it too late to book.

Check out airnet.co.uk and ebookers as a start and then compare to the airline sites themselves. Sometimes, booking early enough, it can be ba.com that has the best deal

davethelimey
11th Dec 2003, 23:58
Hey Dub.

The best service and cheapest flights I have ever found were via worldonaplate.com. It's so personalised that they even call you back to confirm your ticket, but my girlfriend and I flew for about £300 ea.

Also, if you go to aa.com (the American Airlines site) and go to "Further Details" on the booking page, you can choose to include all airlines in your search for tickets. This means that AA will search not only their own prices, but those of Delta, Northwest (I think), BA, US Airways to name but a few.

Also, this may not apply, but maybe find somewhere where you can pay in dollars via credit card, as the dollar is virtually worthless at the moment, meaning that us Brits look quite wealthy.

But I think that airlines adjust their prices to account for currency rates. Just a thought.

slim_slag
13th Dec 2003, 22:49
If you live up north don't forget British Midland fly to ORD out of MAN. Their product beats BA and VS and you don't need to put up with the hassle when flying out of London. But as said before, you don't get really cheap flights to the US in the summer.