PDA

View Full Version : Virgin v Qantas

mhk77
9th Dec 2003, 22:44
Just wondering if anyone else read the article in airliner world a couple months back regarding Virgin flying to Australia? It was basically an open letter that Richy Branson had written to the chief exec of Qantas who had apparently been rather anti-Virgin flying into Oz. Branson basically offered him a bet, whereby if Virgin were refused permission then Richy would serve passengers in the Qantas hosty uniform for a sector from UK-Oz and if Virgin won the rights, then vice-versa! Last I heard Virgin had won! so whats going on with the bet eh? :hmm:

scroggs
9th Dec 2003, 23:18
Not sure why this is in ATC? :confused:

The uniform is being made as we speak! Qantas have not yet confirmed when their CEO will be wearing it, though. Perhaps they're still feeling a little sorry for themselves after losing the rugby, and can't bring themselves to acknowlege another (unusual, I know) defeat at the hands of the perfidious Albion!

tanker-driver
9th Dec 2003, 23:40
The chances of Geoff Dixon actually accepting that bet are quite minimal! besides I read that letter( not from AW, but from a different source) and as I understand it , I thought that VS had to be operating the service before the end of the year in order to win the bet. If this is the case then it clearly means that QF have won, as according to the information I have read, VS don't start the LHR-HKG-SYD service until April '04

I also don't expect "sir Richard" to wear a QF uniform, or a BA one!!:ok:

V8trolley
13th Dec 2003, 13:00
Dixon's response to the bet when issued

"We're running an airline, not a circus."

:ok: