PDA

View Full Version : Background "chuntering" and slowed PC

Tartan Giant
9th Dec 2003, 19:42
Request advice please.

Whilst double-clicking on the main Desk Top, I accidently double-clicked the "My Network" icon.
A vertical Toolbar was generated on the right hand side of the screen and try as I might I could not get rid of it. The item was full of network icons (I am not connected to a net work, though a card is in and unysed).

During my feeble attempts to get rid of this toolbar, the "Launch Outlook Express" icon on the bottom Taskbar went AWOL. I tried to regenerate this icon, but could not.
I go fed up and simply "restored" to an earlier point which worked for me at the time.
Now HOWEVER, the PC runs with this continual, short-burst, chuntering sound like something is going on like a defrag (which I have done on demand, to try and elliminate this annoyance) and I type faster than the characters appear.

I closed down the applications (C+A+D shows nothing running) I normally use, and the chuntering still goes on.

Using C+A+D with Processes selected, it shows on the top line,
"taskmgr.exe" flashing on /off. Other indications are, CPU usage 100% ; processes 26.

How do I kill this "chunter" and get back to swuare one please ?

-----------------------

My system is an AMD 900, OE6, 20GB HDD, Win XP Pro, Zone Alarm always on, NOD 32 anti-virus always on.

TG

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2003, 00:17
Tartan Giant,

How much RAM do you have on your computer?

Try running with Norton disabled, see if it still does it. (Also check to see if Norton is running a scheduled scan while you are trying to type.)

How much Free Space do you have left on your Hard Drive?

Then check your Network Connections and check your protocols are setup properly for your LAN.

As for having OLE in your Quick Launch on the Task Bar, Right Click on the Tack Bar, and make sure you do not have a checkmark on Lock The Task Bar. The take the Icon for OLE and Drag & Drop it in the Quick Launch Aera and you are set.

Take Care,

Richard

Tartan Giant
10th Dec 2003, 01:45
Hello Richard,

Many thanks for the quick reply and advice..........

RAM 256.

I don't have Norton at all............. NOD 32 is the AV system and only box of tricks I have (apart from ZA and ADAWARE, and PanicWare's "PopUp Stopper").
There was nothing in any other Schedule that I could find.

The HDD is partioned into 2; my main working area has 8.1 GB free.

Whilst there is a Network card installed.... it is inert; nothing is plugged into it going anywhere.

There was a "check mark" (tick) against "Lock the Taskbar" - I have followed your instructions and having set another 'restore' point' and since then there is no more "chuntering".

Your advice and clicks must have sorted it out ! :D

Many thanks indeed.......... you sure know your stuff ( I regularly read your replies to other guys PC problems). :ok:

Take care

TG

PS : If I disable the "Restore" function now, will it hold on in memory the previous 'points' or dump the lot and wait till it's reactivated and start afresh?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2003, 05:53
Tartan Giant,

If you deactivate Restore, it should keep the previous restore points. It does not delete the data.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Always glad to help. ;)

Tartan Giant
10th Dec 2003, 06:52
Thanks for your time Richard, and expertise given so freely :ok:

Cheers

TG

Tartan Giant
10th Dec 2003, 07:23
Thanks TCS........... I was contemplating shutting down "Restore" but I heard the "ding" as your message came in !

I shall RTFQ now......... :eek:

Thanks again.

Cheers

TG

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2003, 11:27
TCS,

Good save. (No Pun intended.) I sure got that one wrong.

Tartan Giant,

Here is the article from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp)

Sorry,

Richard

Tartan Giant
10th Dec 2003, 17:35
Thanks guys............. fortunately, it was a sit back and take in the gen before acting. Good one TCS.

DODAR time for me !

ALL is well and nothing has been lost.

Cheers

TG