PDA

View Full Version : P L Dept, CAA - Thankyou!

Thumpango
9th Dec 2003, 18:49
Guess what was delivered this morning?

My PPL license!!

Only two weeks from posting all the docs the CAA have processed my application and I now have my license to learn.

I didn't think I would see it this side of Christmas, so I am once again 'over the moon!'

Keef
9th Dec 2003, 19:34
Congrats! Enjoy!

See you at a nice airfield sometime?

Or at the PPRuNe Private Flying bash in London this weekend?

Thumpango
10th Dec 2003, 03:23
Thank you Keef!

I hope to fly-in to a Pprune bash soon.

Unfortunately, I can't make the bash this weekend due to pre-Christmas family committments.

Hope to meet up with you soon at an airfield not far from EGHI?

dublinpilot
10th Dec 2003, 04:08
It's nice to hear something good about the CAA ;)

Evo
10th Dec 2003, 04:36
Hope to meet up with you soon at an airfield not far from EGHI?

Thump, EGHR isn't too far away ... and it is grass, good for the soul :)

Seems to be a bit of a trend for Southampton students to head far north...

Scuzi
10th Dec 2003, 07:27
Sounds good to me! I just sent off my application today so hopefully, all being well, I will get it before the new year (although I won't count on it).

BEagle
10th Dec 2003, 14:55
Some interesting facts from the CAA at a recent meeting:

1. Around 60% of JAR-FCL PPL(A) applications received have to be returned/queried because of the applicant's administrative cock-ups. Frequently it's something as simple as failing to send passport/birth certificate, sometimes no Qual X-C form etc etc. I suggested that the next edition of the FE Handbook should include a reminder to FEs to check applicants' paperwork etc both before AND after the PPL Skill Test.

2. CAA PLD FCL have introduced new 'streamlined' systems to reduce the amount of checking time needed for licences. This should reduce turn round times substantially - it seems to be working judging by this thread.

3. More staff at PLD isn't the whole solution - it takes a while to train them and get them up to speed.

montster
10th Dec 2003, 19:40
BEagle - interesting what you say about getting FEs to check the applicant's paperwork. My school did the paperwork for me - didn't give me any choice, so I assumed that it was always the flying school that did that bit. I went through it with my instructor after my skills test to make sure they'd included everything, but THEY forgot to sign the photocopy of my passport, so I'm still waiting for my licence (having sorted out the missing documents myself). I guess, if a job's worth doing...........

tonyhalsall
10th Dec 2003, 21:09
Sign the copy of the passport??
Since when was this needed??
I sent my NPPL revalidation application two/three weeks ago and have heard nothing as yet - I'll be most annoyed if it gets returned 'cos the passport wasn't signed.
Tony

PS - Is there a number you can ring to follow these things up?

VFR800
10th Dec 2003, 21:11
Got mine in just over 3 weeks (rec'd on Monday), CFI did all the paperwork for me, but I sent my original passport which the CAA duly sent back recorded delivery.

Hurrah, no more getting an FI to sign me off and I can finally take the wife up! :)

strafer
10th Dec 2003, 21:20
Tony H,

you can either send your passport, or a photocopy of the appropriate pages. If you send a photcopy, it needs to be signed by your school.

I'm not sure whether it's required for a revalidation though.

ACW 335
10th Dec 2003, 21:54
The CAA seem to be on top of PPL issuing at the moment...mine also arrived on the date they quoted (although i did have to sit in licensing for an hour discussing the SLMG issue with a lady who didn't really know what she was talking about!! But you can't have your cake at eat it!)

*you would think it would be easier to have a rating put on on first issue and pay the fee rather than com back a week later waste all that ink and paper to have it added wouldn't you?!

tonyhalsall
10th Dec 2003, 22:51
Just rang the PFA and they have processed (ie forwarded as correct) my NPPL application;
No original passport
No counter-signed copy
No original log book
In fact I did everything exactly as it said on the check list and the PFA said that this is all that is required.
Tony

Thumpango
10th Dec 2003, 23:32
I hope all those waiting for license issue receive them soon!

I felt a little nervous sending my originals logbook, passport, test certificates all in the same bundle so I took photocopies of everything, just in case.

I am surprised in these hightened security times that no photo is required with the licence.

Evo, flown over EGHR many times, certainly aim to visit soon. Yes, there are a number of us who have looked to the north to finish our PPLS's reasons are mostly cost related although I did find the Highland scenery awesome! Never thought I would do my QXC flying to the Orkneys over mountains, thought I was destined for the Exeter/Bristol run.