PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick Express Alternatives

bealine
9th Dec 2003, 18:21
We've recently experienced a couple of odd days industrial action by Gatwick Express - the non-stop service from London (Victoria) to Gatwick Airport.

If industrial action hits on a day you are travelling, there are sensible and cheaper alternatives:

South Central Trains - every 15-20 minutes, most only stop twice en-route at East Croydon and Clapham Junction

www.southcentraltrains.co.uk

ThamesLink - every 15-20 mins to London Bridge and Kings Cross Thameslink

www.thameslink.co.uk

Don't let the Gatwick Express strikes ruin your vacation!

newswatcher
9th Dec 2003, 18:51
Did I really hear on the news this morning that the "new" deal would bring the drivers annual salary to £37k?!!

Pax Vobiscum
9th Dec 2003, 23:15
Yes you did, newswatcher! There's a thread in Jet Blast (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110393&highlight=Gatwick+express) running on that very topic.

FWIW on my (relatively rare) excursions to Gatwick, I avoid the Gatwick Express as it's an overpriced tourist trap (IM not so HO).

newswatcher
9th Dec 2003, 23:31
Thanks Pax V. I have now found that thread. Guess the title was somewhat "softer" than the subject matter!

Departures Beckham
21st Dec 2003, 18:43
I mentioned this in another post a couple of weeks back, but as it's along similar lines I'll say it again.

Anyone wishing to avoid the Stansted Express can now take advantage of a National Express coach service which operates 24/7, up to 3 times an hour. The coach services (route A9) operates non-stop from the Airport Coach Station to Stratford in East London (just one stop on the Central Line from Liverpool Street), and Stratford Station serves the Central and Jubilee Lines, Docklands Light Railway and also National Rail services.

At only £6 one-way it beats the Stansted Express on price, and only takes about 10 minutes more. Other National Express services (A6 & A7) also operate 24/7 into London, calling at Golders Green, Marble Arch and Victoria (also serving Liverpool Street between midnight and 4am).