PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines Budget Airline

Aircraft_Nut9
9th Dec 2003, 17:51
Singapore Airlines are to set up a budget airline 'Tiger Airways' in 2004.

Story here

http://www.onbusiness.ie/2003/1209/singapore.html

Eddy
9th Dec 2003, 22:30
It always absolutely amazes me that large, flag-carrying airline like SQ, UA (granted, not the Flag Carrier as such) and QF will spend time and money on winning business away from, yes, their own mainline operation.

I think the United Airlines/Ted situation is a great example to look at.

United Airlines sheltered under Chapter 11 protection earlier this year and the best way they could find of recovering from this situation seems to be to start ANOTHER airline.

So instead of letting people fly a United Airlines A320 from Denver to Seattle, people now get to fly a frightfully ugly "Ted" version of the same plane. Is it worth it? Why don't United work with what they already have and improve on it, or atleast modify it to suit the needs of today's traveller.

Kinda like Boeing and their 7E7 airliner project. This company is in major trouble - atleast within the commercial aircraft division. So, instead of taking a Boeing 767-300 airframe, adding new engines, new wings and a new flightdeck, Boeing decide to start from the bottom and build a completely new aircraft. Waste of money? I think so. The 7E7 is, in effect, a 767-300 but re-shaped. Zzzzzzzzzz