PDA

View Full Version : Beta blockers and class 2

Flying Spice
9th Dec 2003, 17:31
Hi

Just wondered if anyone can advise me as to whether pilots who take beta blockers can get a class 2 medical.

I have a class 2 med, although it took alot to get... I had to do stress tests on my heart etc ... I don't take med at the moment...

But if I did ever have to... would just be interested to know if anyone has had experience or knows of anyone in this position.

thanks

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Dec 2003, 16:24
Hello Spice,

My understanding of the CAA's view is that this is no problem providing the medication is well tolerated.

There is of course the matter of the underlying condition. That needs to be 1. not something which is incompatible with safe flying and 2. well controlled.

HTH

FD

Re-Heat
22nd Dec 2003, 20:45
I was placed on Beta Blockers (Propranolol) just 6 weeks ago for thyrotoxicosis (overactive thyroid). The Class 2 has been suspended until my condition is stable under the drug regime - the nice lady at the CAA advied me that it had little or nothing to do with being on propranolol, rather that the condition itself was stable before I flew.

Apparantly large numbers of people take beta-blockers for a wide variety of reasons, uder both Class 2 and Class 1 medicals.

Earthmover
10th Jan 2004, 08:55
Depends on what for & why. I have a class 1 (OML) and class 2 (unrestricted) and take atenolol 50mg. This is for secondary prevention of a recurrence of a previous heart problem, not as treatment as such.