PDA

View Full Version : Is WSO a full-fledged pilot?

jet_fumes_junkie
9th Dec 2003, 13:35
If so, how do they stay current, do they swap seats on alternate missions ?

BEagle
9th Dec 2003, 15:10
No – a WSO is a Weapon Systems Officer, not a Qualified Service Pilot. A few might have their own civilian PPLs, but they are not ‘fully trained pilots’. I understand that some helicopter forces allow WSOs to handle the controls and the RAF Dominie carries a ‘pilots assistant’ on most trips, but that’s about all.

Jackonicko
9th Dec 2003, 18:17
Perhaps he's been reading about the Vietnam War, when the USAF's F-4 WSOs were frequently rated pilots flying a tour as WSOs.

SteadyNote
10th Dec 2003, 01:27
I know a few EF 111 WSOs who were more than competent at flying approaches from the right seat (& the EF only had a stick on the left!).

M134
10th Dec 2003, 06:06
There are a lot of dual control aircraft in the RAF with only one stick in the front!;)

jet_fumes_junkie
10th Dec 2003, 09:12
I posted the question after seeing ‘Behind enemy lines’ and guessing (rightly) to have seen another one of those blatant BS moments in movies concerning anything aviation.

Gene Hackman (admiral/carrier skipper) asks Owen Wilson (F-18 wizzo) contemptuously if he intends to ‘go fly for the airlines’ after he’s through with Navy.

You wouldn’t think it would cost that much to actually have a pilot review the few pages in the script, especially with a big-budget flick like that….name one movie with airplanes in it that’s 100% percent true to reality! I guess same goes for other technical fields, EMT’s must be laughing when watching ER, etc…

GrantT
10th Dec 2003, 11:39
http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1788

Quite a few mistakes in the film actually.

jet_fumes_junkie
10th Dec 2003, 22:39
Excellent website, GrantT, submitted the blooper.

steadynote & m134 -
I can see reaching between pilot’s legs and grabbing the stick (hopefully the right one !:* ), but what of the rudder pedals?

thanx for posts gents, keep'em comin' !