PDA

View Full Version : The Bermuda Triangle.....

Dave Hedgehog
5th Sep 2001, 01:24
....It makes things disappear. Apparantly.

I was wondering if any Pilots, Cabin Crew, etc out thaere had any strange experiences when flying throuh "The Devils Triangle", and if they had been explained, or is the truth still out there? Also, the wierdest theory you have heard to explain the disappearances

Dave

beaconoutbound
5th Sep 2001, 01:43
Well mi' ole Hoggy friend, the first thing that happens when you fly through the dreaded Bermuda Triangle is, apparently, a complete failure of your spell checker, followed by a strange writing impediment that suggests you've just left the pub!

Me? Well I've flown across it a few times btu hvant fuond any prubloms mysulf.

tony draper
5th Sep 2001, 02:11
They got it all wrong anyway, its oblong, not triangular ;)

beaconoutbound
5th Sep 2001, 02:31
Good grief! Hoggy is a student. I just hope I can afford to retire overseas before he becomes one of Tony's Faithful and ends up running this country.

hmc
5th Sep 2001, 06:53
The Devil's Oblong..it has a ring to it TD.

BlueDiamond
5th Sep 2001, 08:09
I always thought it was a parralelo ... parallell ... paralelo

Oh Rats it's got me too.

:eek:

golden_hands
5th Sep 2001, 10:35
I'll let my mother in law find out!

Kermit 180
5th Sep 2001, 12:39
A squadron of Avenger torpedo bombers was supposed to have ended up on the moon somewhere after disappearing in the Bermuda (oblong) triangle. Talk about a big navigational error! :rolleyes:

(Of course they discovered them on the sea bed a few years ago, all had run out of fuel and ditched in the same place - ODD!)

Kerms :rolleyes:

Tricky Woo
5th Sep 2001, 13:38
The Bermuda Polygon then.

TW

Don D Cake
5th Sep 2001, 14:52
I don't believe in the alien conspiracy stuff but I did have a strange experience sailing a large yacht past Bermuda. We were delivering the yacht from Fort Lauderdale to Parma, the first stop being the Azores. The boat's owner had armed us to the teeth being worried about pirates (not the jolly swashbuckling types but the ones that slice you up into small pieces and nick your boat) so we were taking it in turns to be glued to the radar. It was about two in the morning on a beautiful starlit night, you could even see Halley's Comet quite clearly. I noticed a huge return about forty miles away on the radar, we reckoned it to be about five miles in diameter, approaching head on at about 20 knots. As the target got closer we could see it was a lone cloud with rain pouring out of it, there was lightning too. When the thing was about two or three miles ahead of us it split in two with each cloud passing a mile either side of us. They were about a mile behind us when to our astonishment the two clouds joined together again and it went it's merry way still raining and lightning.

It was hardly supernatural but it was very spookily entertaining.

Dave Hedgehog
6th Sep 2001, 00:04
I was in Sea World florida ages ago, in sea world, and the had a one of those motion simulator things, themed on the bermuda oblong, is it still there? that was my first "white knuckle" ride, and i was only about 7 at the time and i thought it was great!

And Beaconoutbound, i object to being called one of tony's faithful, personally i think he's a [email protected], but i do like the idea of running the country....

tony draper
6th Sep 2001, 00:19
A word of explanation for our foreign viewers here, they are not talking about me Tony , they are talking about Tony Tony. ;)

tony draper
6th Sep 2001, 00:26
I also experienced a phenominal electric storm thereabouts, never seen anything like it before or since.
I was sitting on a thirtytwo thousand ton tanker so I wasn't particulaly worried, lightning striking all round us, in complete silence, st elmo's fire on the hand rails the lot,I suppose the wind direction coupled with our speed explains the silence, it was a very strange experience, this was in the days before the triangle bit became famous, so we were ok.

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

RW-1
6th Sep 2001, 01:32
It must have affected you Draper, you posted in the first person (Gasp!) ... :D

tony draper
6th Sep 2001, 02:14
Its the strange thirty minute gap in my memory during that silent storm that has me worried.

Tricky Woo
6th Sep 2001, 15:51
Herr Draper,

I would also find 30,000 tonnes of ship rather reassuring under such circumstances. A bit like taking your own continent with you, I should imagine.

However, isn't the sheer size of these tanker things sometimes rather less convenient? Not something one would want dropped on one's foot, I would imagine... I wonder if parking it was a bit tricky? Not something that you could shove on the double-yellers while you nip into the local chippy, huh?

Also, those big boats can be a wee bit unresponsive to the steering wheel; I've seen Kate Winslett in Titanic, so I know a thing or two on the subject; you have to turn the wheel a week last Tuesday in order to turn left or right the following Monday morning. I'm surprised they get an MOT with such shoddy steering.

Not sure how the braking mechanism works as Leonardo DiCaprio didn't seem to mention 'em. A bit faulty on the Titanic, no doubt. It just goes to show that you can never trust an Irish mechanic. Doubtless much improved.

TW

p.s. I picked up my salty sea-dog lingo from watching the Cruel Sea as a young lad. Impressed?

tony draper
6th Sep 2001, 16:18
Interesting Mr TW, Do you know that one of the reasons Titanic struck that berg was at that time, if the officer of the watch said port your helm ie you would think turn left, the wheelman was supposed to turn to starboard, ie to the right.
Daft as it sounds that was the protocol at the time, it stems from the time that a tiller was used, you put the tiller to the right, starboard, and the ship turned to the left, port.
This protocol was changing at the time and there was still much confusion between the order and what the wheelman thought he was supposed to do.
There you are, Draper has just solved one of the all time great maritime mysteries.
Draper has also figured out what happened to the crew of the Mary Celeste. ;)

Tricky Woo
6th Sep 2001, 16:29
I've always thought that the crew of the Marie Celeste simply left it to it as a practical joke. They're probably still living in somewhere in the USA. I bet they have a good old chuckle to themselves everytime it gets a mention.

TW

henry crun
7th Sep 2001, 03:56
Mr Draper: Back in the days of steam two British battleships collided after turning in towards each other with insufficient room.

I have a feeling that this was caused by the same misunderstanding you describe about the Titanic. Calling on your obvious expertise in matters nautical perhaps you can tell me if that is correct.

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: henry crun ]

tony draper
7th Sep 2001, 14:16
oops sorry double post, it told me I could not post becaiuse of flood control, the machines lie to us.

QED.
;)

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

tony draper
7th Sep 2001, 14:24
I had read or heard years ago, that port your helm means turn to starboard, I thought it was insane, its counter intuitive and is a accident waiting to happen, and years later when I brought it up with a couple of old seafaring mates they told me I was mad, and it couldn't be true.
I had no way of proving this was the case until I came across a very old book called (Tait's Seamanship for Board of Trade Examinations)
This book has little ditties on rules of the road at sea as a aid to memory ,on the back page, this is one of them.

When both side lights you see ahead

port your helm and show your red.

QED.

Kaptin M
7th Sep 2001, 15:38
It wasn't such a long time ago - talking about long ago times - that if one wanted to "borrow" a cigarette from someone, he would would say, "May I bum a fag?". Now THAT expression has also disappeared, and I believe it is because it was last used by one of the crew members of the Mary Celeste!

"Port to helm"...I'll try that one with the co-pilot tomorrow - knowing the Flight Department in this company, it may well be introduced as standard operating procedures before too long.

Anyway, being Friday night here, I'm off to look for a bit of the Devil's Triangle myself!

tony draper
7th Sep 2001, 15:56
Whats the procedure if that happens in a aircraft, is there a standard avoiding proceedure if a aircraft at the same flight level is approaching head on?,
I can't say I've ever noticed if aircraft fly with port and starboad lights.

henry crun
7th Sep 2001, 16:04
The nautical folk were not the only ones with strange customs.
As recently as WW2 I understand that several counties were operating aircraft where power was increased pulling the throttle lever back, and decreased by pushing it forward.

This led to quite a few accidents when the pilots trained this way arrived in England and joined the RAF.

tony draper
7th Sep 2001, 16:16
In a similar vein, many years ago when we first started installing full function PTZ CCTV camera's there didn't seem to be any protocol, so myself and most other people involved cabled them so the controller, ie joystick, if pushed forward tilted the camera down, pulling back tilted the camera up, it seemed the logical way to arrange thing's,it was intuitive for someone following some scallywag around a town centre with the camera to do that, but no the bean counter's decided the opposit, if you want the camera to look down you pull the joystick back now,still think its daft, although not many controllers have joysticks now, just four buttons.

Dave Hedgehog
8th Sep 2001, 00:47
Mr. Draper, i can't help but wonder how a man of your obvious Nautical standing came to be on a website set up for pilots?

I am not for one minute condemning you, quite the opposite, long may your posting continue!

Dave

tony draper
8th Sep 2001, 00:52
Draper has a lifetime love of heavier than air machines, and greatly admires them from a safe distance, of course you could never get Draper up in one of those contraptions.

Kaptin M
8th Sep 2001, 01:40
My goodness Mr Draper, you do jump from one subject to another! It certainly doesn't allow time for boredom to set in....now to your first question, the answer is "Yes". Two aircraft at the same level approaching head on, each will alter course to the right - thereby each will have the opposite direction on the lhs, which is where the pilot (single pilot)/captain (multi-crew) is seated.
Secondly, yes, aircraft display navigation lights - stbd = green, port = red, and tail = white, red flashing beacons are also displayed top and/or bottom when engine/s is/are running or aircraft is moving (either under its own power, or being towed), and strobe lights on the wingtips (which is where the nav lights are also positioned).

Why the hell did the beancounters decide to reverse the obvious direction of travel of the joystick commands - pushing forward = camera lens tilts down and pulling back = lens up is instinctively normal - was it because they COULD. or because they just HAD to justify their existence?

tony draper
8th Sep 2001, 02:37
Well good to hear traditions are being kept up, one can safely assume you are also trained in the use of semaphor flags if need ever arises.
Incidently Draper often read on these threads especialy the military one people moaning about long trips, when Draper was 17 years old he signed two year articles on a tramp and did not see the lights of his home town for two years seven months and three days, four days if you count the day stolen from us crossing the date line.
Now that was a long trip.

Skycop
8th Sep 2001, 02:52
Henry,

Which counties were they that sped up by pulling the throttle out?

Was it Cornwall again? I'll bet they put the nav lights on backwards as well...

What happened if an aircraft flew to another county? Did they have to fly upside down to make the lights work properly?

Awkward old $od$. Thank goodness ICAO sorted that one out.

:D

tony draper
8th Sep 2001, 03:30
How about orbital mechanics for counter intuitive, picture this, your in orbit half a mile behind the Tanker in your f3,matching airspeed, to close with him you have to back of the throttle and slow down, Tanker driver has to wack the throttle forward and speed up, and you drift silently closer together. :eek:

henry crun
8th Sep 2001, 04:15
Kaptin M and TD: back in the days of the Sinclair Spectrum some of the flt sims used the "back on the joystick for down and forward for up".
I couldn't master this because it was so against every natural instinct, so I wrote and asked them why.

Their reasoning for doing it this way was that it followed the movement of the horizon. Pull the joystick back and the horizon goes up, etc.

regarding orbital mechanics Mr D, you may drift closer together in the lateral plane but you would drift further apart in the vertical.

[ 08 September 2001: Message edited by: henry crun ]

henry crun
8th Sep 2001, 05:15
Skycop: It was a long time ago when I read about the reverse throttle movement and cannot remember the names of the countries that practised it.
Certainly several of the eastern European/Balkan countries did, and possibly France.

If my memory serves correctly the practise died out around the late 30's and early 40's.
Just as well it did, imagine the confusion if it still existed.

Dave Hedgehog
8th Sep 2001, 22:07
whoo! one of my topics has a little flamy thing! i'm so proud!

:D :D :D

tony draper
8th Sep 2001, 22:17
Like all good threads Mr H it should have a degree of chaos about it, and should be free ranging. ;)

PS,Does anybody know how long water lasts, has it always been around on this planet in that state, ie how old are individual water molecules.

Tricky Woo
9th Sep 2001, 01:14
I've always wondered if water 'goes off' after a while, like bread or vegetables. Imagine if it does; we'd have to drain all the reservoirs and then top 'em up with nice fresh water.

This sort of thing must keep those chappies at Yorkshire Water awake nights.

Explains the state of the North Sea, mind.

TW

tony draper
9th Sep 2001, 01:29
Yeh ,I was just pondering the problem of global warming, and the resultant water shortage and how long water will keep if we dilute it. ;)

ExSimGuy
9th Sep 2001, 02:31
Tony,

It's still the same in some circles - you PUSH to go UP, PULL to go DOWN, and shove the stick to the RIGHT (starboard to you) to go LEFT (port).

Conversion to/from a hang glider can be tricky :)

How come we "break right" on aircraft in an impending collision situation? Same reason as the (main) driver sits in the LEFT seat? Bloody Septics (or was it down to the Frogs?)

At least the British drivers always have their sword hands available when we break left (Napoleon screwed all that because he was left handed)

--------------------------
(What was the original subject?)

[ 08 September 2001: Message edited by: ExSim ]