PDA

View Full Version : Best place for a command instrument rating

Azimuth
8th Dec 2003, 20:19
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good school to do my command instrument rating at?

I don't mind travelling and would like to do it at a school in which the training is held in high regard. Also any work at the end of it would be good as well:ok:

Any suggestions?

Howard Hughes
8th Dec 2003, 22:28
Well I've said it before, as have so many others. The only place to go for instrument training is, Peter Bini Advanced Flight Training at Moorabbin. No chance of work, just the best training money can buy!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Ang737
9th Dec 2003, 05:31
Definately Bini at YMMB. Get in touch with Steve Pearce there... You can do the rating with a number of guys; Pete Bishop, Steve Pearce, Ian Brown... all highly regarded in the industry for their IFR training.

Peter Bini Advanced Flight Training (http://www.biniflighttraining.com.au/)

Cnr of Bundoora Pde & First Avenue,
Moorabbin Airport,
Mentone, VIC 3194

Telephone: (03) 9580 5295 OR (03) 9580 6147
Fax: (03) 9587 5542
Email: [email protected]

All Correspondence to:
PO Box 141, Cheltenham, VIC 3192

Natit
9th Dec 2003, 08:07
Best bet would be to do a search under Instrument Rating and read the posts that other people have put up in the past...

Air South in Adelaide offer the MECIR in a BE58 and also offer ICUS in a PA31 and co-pilot time in the BE20 / E110 after the rating also.

Visit their site at http://www.airsouth.com.au/

Regards,

N

Howard Hughes
9th Dec 2003, 08:33
Just to reiterate, all the ICUS in the world wont make you a safe pilot, but quality training will.

I did my training with Steve Pearce in 1988 and he's still in the industry, gotta say something about the quality of his work.

HH

:ok:

PS: If only he could have done something about my spelling!!

chief wiggum
9th Dec 2003, 11:44
all the ICUS in the world wont make you a safe pilot....

No, but it will help!

gliderboy
9th Dec 2003, 12:54
Don't use Fairbairn Air Charter at Canberra!!!!!!:*

swh
9th Dec 2003, 19:01
Having done renewals in just about every state, I have seen what people have to offer around the country. In a former position in GA I had the opportunity to see what the "end product" was of many IFR pilots heading around the place, I was not that impressed ….

General comment, find somewhere where you need to do your rating in real IMC. Don't train with someone without real world (RPT, Jet, Charter, Turbine.....read not instructor only) time. Don't train with someone who is just using you to build up their twin command. Experienced instructors have a bigger bag of experience to draw from when teaching you how to stay alive when in IMC.

Some of the bigger schools tend to teach people for two crew environments, good for later in your career, but it will not necessarily get you well prepared for GA.

In my personal observation, Ad-Astral in Perth tends to put out a consistent good product, training with them in winter is better than summer to get the advantage of some real difficult weather. Better to get the handle of the Wx in your training, than when you first get a front come through single pilot at night. As far as I am aware all the instructors are all very experienced, including significant jet/turboprop time.

Just my 2c worth....based upon my own observations....

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
9th Dec 2003, 19:22
Johnsons Aviation at Port Maquarie NSW, they are great, a real one stop shop for instrument training and great people and in a baron.

scrambler
10th Dec 2003, 07:26
Would Suggest Ad Astral if in WA, no one else in this state has a reputation that comes close to them.

Did one Renewal with them and they were very good.

If in Melbourne Have to agree with Bini's, can't go past the quality of training and the product that they turn out at the end. (Rating & renewal)

Just Remember that at the end of the day you want to be a good IFR pilot at the end of the training and not just another product out of one of the many "pilot factories", money is not the object training quality is.

Azimuth
11th Dec 2003, 20:17
Thanks everyone who replied. So far it's a tie between Ad-Astral and Peter Bini Advanced flight training....:mad:

Does anyone know anything about Cape York Air?:confused:

Ash767
11th Dec 2003, 20:35
Azimuth, I agree with Howard Hughes!

I did my IFR training there. I can not think you can do better. They are a no B^lls!t school and teach you what you need to know. My instructors were Steve Pearce and Pete Bishop! Give them a call.

Regards

Ash767:ok:

EPIRB
12th Dec 2003, 02:31
Have to agree about Bini's. I did my rating with Steve Pearce, even did my PPL and CPL with him when he was at Lilydale. He was the best instructor that I have ever had.

Two_dogs
12th Dec 2003, 20:48
Azimuth

You mention Cape York Air. If you're in that part of the woods, you must have heard of Bob Harris at Innisfail. You wont be disappointed if you train with Bob. Ask around!

Two Dogs

MASMB
14th Dec 2003, 16:29
CONDSIDER WWW.MOORABBINAVIATIONSERVICES.COM.AU DARRON HURLEY IS AN EXECELLENT INSTRUCTOR WHO HAS A LOT OF MULTI ENGINE AND REAL IFR CHARTER EXPERIENCE

MOORABBIN AVIATION SEVICES IS LOCATED AT MOORABBIN THERE CONTACT NUMBER IS 0395875159

ohboy
14th Dec 2003, 18:28
azimuth...go Ad Astral dude....

Ash767
14th Dec 2003, 21:08
No need to SHOUT masmb!

Ash767:)

scrambler
15th Dec 2003, 06:37
Being in Perth you would prob want to staty in WA? The Ad Astral name will help throught wa

Do it there, from the comfort of your own home. Save travel and accomodation money

Ash767
15th Dec 2003, 06:55
Azimuth

Scrambler has made a good point. The YMML schools that have been mentioned above are very good ones and you would not go wrong by going to them, but, you do have to think about all the other associated costs.

I was lucky and had a cousin in YMML so I did not have to pay for Accom ( only had to keep him supplied with beer). This saved me allot given no accom cost. Plus then your travel costs etc.

I am not sure of the Perth airspace and location of Nav aides but, one benefit of YMML is there are allot of aides i.e. ILS, VOR & NDB close together so you do not spend allot of time in the cruise and more time doing approaches.

However, if you are comfortable with the schools in Perth, Ad Astral etc it would be financially better to stay there in surroundings you know.

Regards

Azimuth
15th Dec 2003, 15:12
The only problem with Perth is the weather is so good;)

I'm kind of hoping to fly around in violent storms in the middle of the night in heavy icing conditions so I can experience the absolute worst the weather can offer while I'm with a highly experienced instructor.

Might have to wait until this dreadful fine weather we're having at the moment goes away.....:p

Ash767
16th Dec 2003, 15:52
Hmmm. I think you will have enough on your plate when you are doing the IFR rating without having to worry about weather. Just don't look out.

Cloud is good to experience, but you want to get the procedures down pat without having to fight turbulence at the same time.

Have a read of a book called Weather Flying by Robert N Buck. You should get some good tips out of it.

5 Left & Right
18th Dec 2003, 17:26
Cape york used to be very good years ago, but seem to have lost the plot recently at least as far as training goes. I can recommend Bob Harris at IFL, he does an excellent job, and the WX there is usually very wet which is ideal for IFR training, close proximity to CS is also good for the ILS/LLZ and CTA exposure. He is very well known and regarded in Northern QLD, I have flown with blokes that have done there rating with him and they have all been very competent indeed.

Hope this helps

Cheers