PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Africa topic. Anyone have any luck.

helldog
8th Dec 2003, 19:50
It would be interesting to know if anyone has had any luck as a result of posting a reply on the mentioned thread. Has anyone actually got a job out of it? Or even any serrious enquiries?

I know I have not had any inerest shown. Although my details are posted somwhere in the first few pages...where I am sure no one will look anymore.

It would be interesting to hear from employers on this. I know if I was looking to employ a pilot, I would look at all these posts to at least request an expanded resume.

Cheers all

GormanInkarnati
9th Dec 2003, 02:29
I doubt that any employer would look for pilots posted on that board. They all have millions of CV's that have been dropped of or mailed to them - stacked to the roof!

I think that posting your details is like pi....ng in a wetsuit. Gives you a nice warm feeling but nobody notices...

Good luck!!

Foxtrot_Lima_Mike
9th Dec 2003, 08:43
GormanInkarnati,

Hard and sad it is to agree with what you said but Man Oh Man, what a great sense of humour, pissing in a wetsuit...lol The way you said it...Was it that nice when that someone pissed in your wetsuit? As if you're going full throttle eh ??

Who said pilots aren't funny...lol

FLM

4HolerPoler
9th Dec 2003, 10:01
My advice is that if you post your interest on the thread then make sure your contact information is valid and remains so. We needed two Hawker 125 drivers and I used every contact detail available to get hold of every poster who listed Hawker in their experience. I got one reply. Finally hired two great guys using references from within the industry.

Bottom line - if you list here keep the channel open.

4HP

maflsc
9th Dec 2003, 19:27
I think that it is a good idea for pilots to list their details here, not just at African Aviation. A thread for each country would be helpful. Pilots could remove their names when employed so that we would only contact thise that were still looking.
I posted on the D & G forum for a new instructor. I employed a great guy from the replies. The standard was very high, so much so that it was a very hard decision. So it is possible. Just keep your details current.

speedbird23
14th Dec 2003, 07:39
How many employees really take notice of resumes sent by mail? Surely you have enough people coming through the door to keep any resume folder full. And how many employees have actually contacted someone just on the strength of their resume without laying an eye on them. I doubt if my current employer has looked at a mailed resume in the 12 months I have been working for him. If you do contact people from resumes, let me know, I will start sending resumes out again.

Mama Mangrove
14th Dec 2003, 19:32
speedbird123
I guess you mean employers, not employees.
In my company all our hirings are done on the basis of potential employees sending in their resumés by mail or e-mail. We also have a few job inquiries by telephone (in which case we tell them to send in their resumés by post or e-mail). When we then have a vacancy we invite selected pilots (selected on the basis of those previously known to us and the resumés of those unknown to us) for interview.
I got my present job on the basis of a resumé sent to an employer I hadn't worked for before. So, I guess you'd better polish up that old resumé and start mailing.:D

helldog
14th Dec 2003, 19:34
Yeah funny about resumes. Some people like 'em some dont. And the ones that do like different qualities. I remember looking through resumes in Oz once with the other pilots. The CP wanted to get rid of some. We were chucking out some that were seven pages long! I know most like just a one pager. We were also getting rid of people that had low time, too much time, were too old, had funny names or were female, he did not want to hire chicks for the bush.....cant lift the fuel drums or push the plane on their own you see;)

Point I am making is....its a lottery, good luck to you all:ok:

M.85
23rd Dec 2003, 20:16
Id fly anything anywhere,anyone interested???

Merry Christamas and a Happy New Year to all fellows looking for a piece of metal to lift off the ground..

Safe Flying,

M.85