PDA

View Full Version : Unmasking the imposters...

Megaton
8th Dec 2003, 16:24
If I suspected someone was, shall we say, adding some colour to their Service history by claiming rather more experience than seemed likely, is there any way to corroborate their story? For example, is it possible to find dates that flying brevets are awarded for the 3 Services? Purely hypothetical question, of course....

FFP
8th Dec 2003, 16:49
Give us his initials and what he reckons he's done you'd probably get half a dozen replies or so with stories/opinions/etc !!!:p

Course, could be thinking of someone else with the same initials !!:O

If it's for a job interview then you could ask for the wings certificate (sure it has some official name but it's upstairs and can't be bothered to look). If it's in a social environment, then a few well researched questions such as What course number were you on, when did you grad etc could prove useful.

Megaton
8th Dec 2003, 17:23
It's all a bit convenient since he claimed to have graduated and received wings a long time ago on Chipmunks with AAC. Got chopped allegedly on rotary. i was just interested in doing some discreet research. If it smells like a fish...

motionlotion
8th Dec 2003, 17:39
HP

Drop me a PM - might be able to point you in the right direct.

ML

WASALOADIE
8th Dec 2003, 23:55
Ask if he has his logbook(s), try the old decoy question and mention the made up name of someone who was supposedly on the same unit, try and trip him up that way.

sycamore
9th Dec 2003, 00:40
I would have thought that if you had access to a log-book it should be stamped for an end-of-course signature, and award of "wings" is pretty significant. Might depend on timescales as some Services only award Wings on completion of an advanced phase, ie rotary.If it`s a professional inquiry then a letter to an appropriate Service should clarify.

Runaway Gun
9th Dec 2003, 05:10
But I don't have a Wings certificate :{

Must be related to the cutbacks.

This may be slightly off-thread, but why do I have to use my hard-earned cash to buy my own Squadron colored Name Badge Brevet patches, Squadron Crests, Union Jacks and now special T-shirts hey? Most of which are mandatory for my uniform...

Is there any way of billing the company?

SirToppamHat
9th Dec 2003, 05:29
RG

Stop moaning ... at least you don't have to pay for your flying suits, boots, cold weather jackets etc, unlike us non-elite support types who have to buy the blues we wear every day!

;)

Runaway Gun
9th Dec 2003, 05:47
I too have to pay for my blues as well, especially when I grow out of them. It seems every time I wear them, they have shrunken in storage...

As for the 'ahem' cold weather jackets, they are about as much good as a wet box of tissues. Anyone would think that they have been supplied by the cheapest bidder. Did anyone test these at below 10 degrees?

By the way, thankyou for your support STH ;)

Bill O'Average
9th Dec 2003, 06:07
Ham, PM me and I'll be able to have a look. The walls have ears! Well pictures anyway.

Felix Lighter
9th Dec 2003, 08:44
My Dear RG,

The service requirement for one to purchase ones own uniform is simply good preparation for joining the likes of eASYDEATH. Just think yourself lucky the Crabs dont make you pay for your own conversion course. God knows they would be a costly enough!

Come to Hong Kong m'lord..... no need for cold weather kit here!

motionlotion
9th Dec 2003, 15:46
HP

It is relatively easy to put this one to bed.

If has he says it was along time ago, it would have been the old style APC then "wings" were not awarded at the end of the spitmunk phase nor are they now (this being phase one of three). If "chopped" there would be no requirement for the CFI to issue a logbook, quite the contrary. Chopped implies exactly what it's supposed to - the order of the boot. The failed student is not left hanging around to poison the other course members and is extricated from the immediate flying training area, mess accommodation etc and RTU'd in short order.

Which poses the next question:

Was he permanent cadre AAC or other arm? For this will open a whole new can of worms!

ML

Mr C Hinecap
9th Dec 2003, 18:45
Runaway

Please, please, please go to Clothing Stores and ask about the reimbursement for your Sqn clothing. You will brighten the day of anyone working there!
To do your job, you don't NEED any of those things. However, you HAVE joined a Big Boys Club and the other Big Boys say you need those things to be in their gang.
(Esprit d'Corps, team, identity etc - I know)
Just spend some of that flying pay and enjoy wearing your Gro Bag with all the pretty pictures and bright colours you have just purchased adorning it.

Bless. :ugh:

BEagle
9th Dec 2003, 23:16
Mr C - absolutely! But there really are some tight-fisted folk who think that it's offside to have to pay a few quid for their badges. He should shut up, pay up and belong. And count himself lucky that the squadron fashion rep hasn't yet told him that he won't become Op until he completes convex AND buys a sqn Breitling Aerospace....

Mind you there's scope for a good wind-up by our friendly blunt chums. A spoof letter, convincing looking form - and ritual humiliation at the next Happy Hour..........

Almost as good as the 'Mess Dress sweater, cashmere with moleskin facings and gold thread insignia' spoof organised by 115 Sqn back in the early 1980s!

Impiger
10th Dec 2003, 05:16
BEAGS

You're absolutely right its a tough old world on the front line. I knew a chap who through an admin cock-up (surprising I know) left the Service for 2 days while his Short Service Commission was converted to a PC. On his notional rejoining we presented him with his squadron arrival pack including badges, tie, mug, straw boater (we were dead couth), scarf etc and a bill for circa £85. About a days pay at the time. Happy days .............:D

Mr C Hinecap
10th Dec 2003, 14:20
BEagle

If we did that to every self-important new chap, we'd never have the time to pi$$ everyone else off! ;)

I don't care how many times they go up-diddly-up-up, they're still g!ts. :p

Runaway Gun
11th Dec 2003, 13:36
It was a genuine question, as I have seen other CO's successfully get the money refunded for his crews in the past.

I'm glad that I have uncovered such an honest response. :O There's too many feelings left under the surface nowadays...

Edited because of my spelling - affected by coffee.