PDA

View Full Version : Most Interesting/Tricky Checkride Question(s)

WhiskeyNovember
8th Dec 2003, 02:40
So what are some of the most interesting and/or obscure checkride questions you all have run across? I'm specifically interested in those that would relate to the FAA commercial checkride...

kabz
9th Dec 2003, 02:19
What 3rd document must be carried ?
A: photo id. New in 2004 FARs.

Whats you max permitted flying as a comm pilot ?
A: 8 hours in day. Rest is 10 hours.

Some other misc stuff about part 121 etc .... which was weird.

Mainly was about maintenance stuff, MELs etc, holding out, commercial pilot permitted ops, weather, flight planning, airplane systems.

Know the ASA Commercial Oral guide well, and your airplane systems, and be able to recite all the V speeds, memory procedures, etc. and it should be a pretty smooth oral.

Each examiner has their favourite subjects so recommend you ask around so you know the hot button stuff.

dorosenco
9th Dec 2003, 03:51
KNOW THE SYSTEMS OF YOUR AIRPLANE !!!!

Charlie Zulu
9th Dec 2003, 08:45
Hi WhiskeyNovember,

I'll repeat most of the above...

Know your aircraft systems, airframe and avionics inside and out. All of your V Speeds are to be memorised. You'll also need to know the aircraft electrical systems. How many micro switches does the landing gear have? Where are they located? How does the propeller controls work?

When we were in the aircraft the examiner didn't stop there... he was asking me all sorts of questions in the eyes of a paying passenger, such as what does the blue lever do? "I've noticed that the blue lever is always ahead of the black lever, why is this?"...

He asked me (whilst we were flying!) to tell him how heavy the aircraft was, how heavy the aircraft could be to take off, is that the same as landing weight? How many gallons does the aircraft hold? How many of those are usable? What type of engine does this aircraft have? So what type of propeller does this have (and the answer constant speed variable pitch isn't good enough!!! He wanted the propeller type and model!).

Know ALL of the symbols on the chart. Even down to the Time Zone markings (the dots) - yes they are on the florida charts, that is why I had to know them. Airspace, VFR Weather Requirements in different classes of Airspace, What is Special VFR?

Also ensure you know your Commercial Privilages and currency requirements. Ie, my examiner took my chart and pointed to two airports and asked if I could take someone from here to here without an Instrument Rating?

Basically the FAA CPL checkride it is just a more thorough Private checkride. A lot more emphasise is placed on you being the Captain and the examiner the fare paying passenger (just like in FFF's JAA CPL flight test).

The ASA Oral guides are excellent!!!! But a lot of time with the Aircrafts Manual is also a fantastic idea.

I was quite lucky in that one of the instructors at the school had his checkride with the same examiner so had all of the "favourite" questions noted down. Another two instructors were sat in with us the day before my checkride for a few hours going through every conceivable question.... very thorough question and answer session that made me think, "I can do this".

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.