PDA

View Full Version : time-sharing 2 schools during PPL ?

Guessed
8th Dec 2003, 01:49
Hi Folks,
is it a good idea or completely barmy to think about doing my PPL split between two flying schools?

I have 9 hours at my original school, but have made some friends at a new school - which is also easier for me to drive to.

Can I attend both schools to build up my hours of training required for the PPL? Apart from the continuity issues of having two instructors - are there any practical issues - like who does the GFT and whether my 45+hours total are acceptable to the CAA regardless of school?

I am perfectly happy with my present instructor (and he with me).

All opinions gratefully received, for or against.

G

Guessed
10th Dec 2003, 20:39
Blimey, 50 people have read this and no replies. My instructor isn't this quiet. :D

If you'd prefer not to post then please PM me.

Field In Sight
10th Dec 2003, 23:02
Have a look here!

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_C.pdf

It only says that you must have completed "ALL" the flight training required before taking the skill test. It doesn't say anything about where you trained.

The only problem I can see is that you will have (or rather should have) training records at both schools and you may end up repeating (sorry revising) quite a bit.

The school that puts you forward for the test would at the very least want to see the other set of records to confirm you have completed the course of training.

I had a student ask me the same question the other day, but he wanted to do some in England and some in Germany.

I may have to ask the CAA about this as I know of at least one Spanish guy who could not do the JAR(UK) CPL training because he had done the JAR (Spain) ATPL exams. What a load of old b*l!cks.

My advice is to just choose the school nearest to you and complete the training there.

Good luck anyway.

FIS

Guessed
10th Dec 2003, 23:19
>Good luck anyway.
>FIS

Thanks. I am a beginner as you can tell, so your advice is greatly appreciated.

StrateandLevel
11th Dec 2003, 16:42
JAR-FCL 1.125 states:

"An applicant for a PPL shall complete at an FTO or an accepted registered facility the required instruction in accordance with the syllabus set out in...."

As the registered facility is required to maintain a training record, how can they do that accurately, when you train elsewhere? How will the instructor know what you did on the last exercise? How can they complete the course completion certificate if they have not completed all of the training?

Will a school actually agree to you continuing to train you when you are obbviously training elsewhere? I suspect not.

Whilst there is nothing to stop students changing schools, training at two consecutively, is not likely to serve any useful purpose.

Make up you mind where you want to train and get on with it!

MJR
11th Dec 2003, 17:56
This is a very bad idea, even if it is legitimate you will ultimately be incurring a greater cost on yourself as it will not be efficient training.

Whirlybird
12th Dec 2003, 15:25
Why not do the following:

Tell your present instructor that you're thinking of moving to another school where you have friends and that's easier to drive to. Tell him if it doesn't work out you'll come back. Thank him for all he's done. That way, you leave on good terms (which I gather you are!) and can go back.

Move to the new school, and see how it goes. If it's OK, why mess around with two schools.

If you don't like either the school or the instructor, go back to the old one. At worst, you'll have learned a bit about different airfields, schools, and instructors.

In the long run - and you have most of the course to go - you'll find it a lot easier if you find one school, and maybe one instructor if you can, and stick to them. But there's no harm in shopping around.

Good luck whatever you do - and enjoy it!