PDA

View Full Version : SAAs A340s - trivia time!

Irishwingz
7th Dec 2003, 17:08
Folks

Flew from JNB to PER the other day on a A342 - whilst not having a telly on every seat back was annoying I have a funny question. Upon check in I requested to sit beside a friend, the 'cheery' check in guy said ok, I was in 42A and she would be in 42C - sounded weird. Upon sitting down sure enough we were together, there is no 'B'.

Anyway, why are the seats like this - a- c - d - h-k. why have certain letters been abandoned? Some funny French/Airbus/SAA pi$$take?

I have promised my friend I would find out. :)

7th Dec 2003, 23:31
Sorry, cant help you. I never did learn the french alphabet. Should actually go and ask for my schoolfees back!

Flying Bean
8th Dec 2003, 00:04
I cannot guarantee this answer, but I noticed the same on the NW 767.
What it is, I think, is that there is a computer loading of a standard maximum seat plan, ABC DEFG HJK.
Where the aircraft (767 or 340 etc ) has a 2 - 4 - 2 configuration, it blanks out the missing centre row. (B & J)
This means that whatever the plane, A is always a window, C is always an aisle etc.
If you get a copy of the latest SAA timeatble and check the seating plans you will see more clearly how it works regardless of the individual aircraft seat configuration.

George Tower
8th Dec 2003, 21:13
I think what flying bean says seems to make sense, flew recently on a Virgin 340 and didn't notice anything unusual in how the seating was designated. However as row 42 is at or near the back of the a/c there would be a 2-4-2 configuration, as opposed the 3-4-3 which makes up most of cattle class.

planecrazi
8th Dec 2003, 23:43
Sorry to change the subject a bit, but talking about SAA's A340's- Does anyone have anymore info on the broken/bent A340 of SAA, in Upington, and what will come of it?:confused:

And , which model is it?

mikemal
12th Dec 2003, 10:50
RE: A340 in Upington.

No truth in this rumour, I am afraid! Good story, though!