PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Flying Boat of the Day - 7 Dec.

seacue
7th Dec 2003, 08:31
Here's another mystery flying boat to keep you amused.

SC

http://users.erols.com/rcarpen/q7.JPG

tharg
7th Dec 2003, 10:47
Now, I do reckon that there is a Douglas RD-2 from early thirties. Boat in b/g is just as interesting. More later... if I type too much, someone else'll beat me to it

Yup - Douglas RD-2 or -1 (USN/USCG designation) aka Dolphin. Built around 1931, about 60 made; 25 or so for US Army (designation C-21/6/9); similar amount to USN/USCG; remainder as commercial haulers of SLF (wet). Remarkable safety record in airline use and some fame too: a USN RD-2 was used by F D Roosevelt as, allegedly, the first -ever presidential aircraft (Seaplane-One??) in 1933. Others were customised for the rich, famous and/or discerning including William Boeing and the Vanderbilts. A couple somehow found their way to the RAAF to serve in WW2.

Smashing-looking machine - a real boat hull (all metal with watertight bays) and wooden wing. Initially powered by pair of 300hp Wright J-6 radials, variously upgraded with other Wright and P&W lumps, most potent of which were two 550hp Wasps
Take that wing off, fit a couple of Volvo Pentas amidships and you'd get yourself a very quick launch.

Talking of which, the boat in background is, I believe, a USCG picket boat designed and built by the Beals of Maine (two Packard straight-eights; 35+ kts). I confess a personal advantage here, since my boss is the boat designers' grandson and I am restoring some late 20s photos of the vessels.

So insomnia, and inside knowledge, does have some advantages!

Next…

JDK
7th Dec 2003, 20:18
My immediate guess is Douglas Dolphin, but Tharg got there wiv da facs first!
Cheers
James

seacue
7th Dec 2003, 22:51
Keep trying gentlepersons.

The flying boat in question was neither designed nor built by Douglas.

SC

PaperTiger
7th Dec 2003, 23:25
Fokker/General Aviation PJ-1, also known as the FLB (Flying Life Boat) of 1932. In 1933 the engines were relocated as tractors at which time it was redesignated PJ-2.

See: http://www.bluejacket.com/uscg_aircraft_vintage.html for this and more USCG 'boats.

JDK
7th Dec 2003, 23:25
Oooo! A hard one?

Next guess would be Saro Cutty Sark(?)

But - um - I'll have to check!

Looks like Tharg was a bit previous.... Not that I did any better!

Cheers
James

Aerohack
7th Dec 2003, 23:59
Agree with PaperTiger, Fokker/General Aviation (later North American) FLB/PJ-1, with twin P&W Wasp R-1340s. Five were built for the USCG, but only one was converted (by the Naval Aircraft Factory) to tractor configuration and redesignated PJ-2. The style of fin/rudder markings is odd, more in keeping with contemporary US Navy than USCG practice.

seacue
8th Dec 2003, 00:34
Right, the General Aviation / Fokker PJ-1.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/CGM_Aviation_Article.html

I gather that General Motors, seeing Ford's success with the Tin Goose, had to have their own aircraft company. They arranged to gain control of Fokker (America) and rename it General Aviation.

General Motors - General Aviation see?

For quite a while I'd thought that the pic was of a Douglas Dolphin. I did some more searching before posting and turned up the fact that it was a PJ-1. It cartainly looks as though the Douglas Dolphin was closely related. Did General Aviation shut down and Douglas take over building PJ-2s (tractor engines) as the Sinbad/Dolphin? Even the wing float attachments look similar to me.

SC

Aerohack
8th Dec 2003, 00:57
<<Did General Aviation shut down and Douglas take over building PJ-2s (tractor engines) as the Sinbad/Dolphin?>>

No. The The Fokker AL-15 (USCG FLB/PJ-1) was an original Fokker Aircraft Corporation of America design, and the Douglas Dolphin/RD-2 came first. Douglas did adopt a Fokker-style plywood-skinned cantilever wing, though. PJ-1/2 was substantially bigger and heavier than the Dolphin.

PaperTiger
8th Dec 2003, 06:02
From the wonderfully informative www.aerofiles.com1930: Formed as General Aviation Corp when General Motors Corp acquired Fokker Aircraft in 1929. 1930: General Aviation Mfg Co, Baltimore MD with 1930-33 acquisition of Dornier, Berliner-Joyce, Fokker, Pilgrim (American Airplane & Engine Corp) and Thaden (Pittsburgh All-Metal Aircraft Co). 1934: Became North American Aviation Inc. 1935: General Aviation officially dissolved.North american continued to use the J manufacturer's suffix (as in SNJ, FJ-1 etc.) until the combined designation system came along.

JDK
8th Dec 2003, 07:44
Well,
I have to hand it to Seacue. Just when I thought it was easy, there he goes with a real cunning, misleading one - tip of the hat sir.

Now, what's next?

Cheers
James