PDA

View Full Version : NYC and NJ closed for business today

newarksmells
7th Dec 2003, 03:53
After a early season blizzard that left 12 - 16 inches of snow on Friday and Saturday, Air travel out of the metro area is a crap shoot at best. Out of 800 fights a day, LGA has seen 25 take off.

EWR looking at a minimum af 3 to 15 hours delay.

Storm will be moving to Boston overnight. Snow emergency already in effect. 20 inches expected. Sunday in Boston should be brutal.

Keep warm;

Newarksmells

DA50driver
7th Dec 2003, 08:35
I left TEB on 12/5 @ about 3pm local. It was snowing heavily, and they were doing a great job keeping the airport open as long as they did.

As a Yankee who is quite familiar with snow (I lived in Norway for 17 years), it wasn't your regular little snow shower. It dropped about 15 cm in the first couple of hours, and the ground was cold enough that none of it melted.

seacue
7th Dec 2003, 08:50
From the US National Weather Service:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
755 PM EDT SAT DEC 6 2003

...THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS
(IN INCHES) FROM THE DEC 5-6 SNOW STORM...

STORM TIME/DATE COMMENTS

QUEENS COUNTY
LAGUARDIA AIRPORT 12.2 700 PM 12/06
JOHN F. KENNEDY AIRPORT 11.8 700 PM 12/06

NEW JERSEY

BERGEN COUNTY
RUTHERFORD 14.3 700 PM 12/06
TETERBORO AIRPORT 9.3 600 PM 12/06

ESSEX COUNTY
NEWARK AIRPORT 15.3 700 PM 12/06

MidnightSpecial
7th Dec 2003, 08:56
Woo hoo, I just dug out my driveway. That snowplow better not push anymore snow into it.

Here's to skiing.

MS

Sir Richard
7th Dec 2003, 09:17
Early Right

At least the Yanks know how to deal with snow! 12-16 inches seems a fair few flurries.

12-16 mm would make front page news and shut down most of UK

:cool:

McD
7th Dec 2003, 10:08
Yes, this is definitely not a simple snow shower. Snow has been falling (and accumulating) at quite a heavy rate (about an inch per hour sustained over most of the entire day). A total of two feet of snow is expected in many areas.

Here are a couple of photos. Bear in mind that many of these places had no snow at all prior to yesterday morning.

Downtown Boston:
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20031207/t/r2744341909.jpg

LaGuardia Airport
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/12/06/national/aiportsnow.jpg

surely not
7th Dec 2003, 17:42
Thank goodness for Global Warming!!! How much snow and cols would you have had if it wasn't getting warmer;) ;) :cool:

Meeb
7th Dec 2003, 19:38
Is that bloke at La Guardia on a rocking chair? Thats so cool and a great way to pass the time at an airport... :p

wub
7th Dec 2003, 22:08
Live pic from the Intrepid museum webcam (can also see Concorde)

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/visitinfo_webcam.html

OFBSLF
8th Dec 2003, 02:59
We've had close to 2 feet of snow where I live, about 20 miles west of Boston. Add to that wind gusts above 30 mph. Woo hoo, I just dug out my driveway.I just watch my friend plow out my driveway. My back is in no shape to shovel that much snow...

newarksmells
8th Dec 2003, 03:14
The Boston Airport was closed for 16 hours and re-opened about 90 minutes ago. But from listening to the talking-heads on TV, I have a question.

According to the TV people, all passengers with flights this afternoon or tomorrow need to call ahead to check on their reservations as people who were stuck in the airport will be assigned seats first on any out-going flight. Can the airlines do this if people have a pre-existing reservation? I am one of those people with an existing outgoing reservation.

Newarksmells

None
8th Dec 2003, 04:39
As long as you check-in no later than the required time, you will normally be a confirmed passenger. The others, from yesterday or flights cancelled earlier today, would normally be revenue stand-by passengers. As soon as the required check-in time passes, those revenue stand-by people will be assigned any remaining seats.

McD
8th Dec 2003, 04:53
Still, Newarksmells, it may not be wise to assume anything after a 16-hour airport closure. There may be times (I don't know, I'm just guessing) where there may be exceptions to the "normal rules" in situations such as these. If the airlines are making appeals via TV, perhaps it's better to phone ahead and be sure, rather than to turn up and find complete chaos?

Only a suggestion -- that's all. Here's another thought - Have you had a look on your specific airline's website to see if they have any notices posted regarding the weather?

newarksmells
9th Dec 2003, 06:05
Did that...and American said call the night before to confirm the reservation....Will do just that