PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recorders

Tosh McCaber
7th Dec 2003, 01:01
I'm looking to buy a DVD recorder, for hooking up to my tele, to replace my old VCR. Has anyone been following the DVD format war, and able to give advice on which format (RW+, RW-, RAM) is winning through?

To complicate matters, I see that some now seem to be coming through with an additional internal hard drive.

Any thoughts? Is now the time to take the plunge, or are there developments in the wings worth waiting a few months for?

bagpuss lives
7th Dec 2003, 07:09
I've just bought one of these - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51713 and it does everything I want it to easily, quickly and with no errors at all, even on non-branded DVDRs.

I would highly recommend it for this and also for its excellent CDR/CDRW capabilities too :)

Tosh McCaber
7th Dec 2003, 16:22
Thanks for the replies, guys.

niteflight01- I was actally looking at the type of recorder that sits below the tele, like a VCR, to record TV programmes, etc. (Mind you, the PC one that you recommend looks good- I alredy have a Plextor CD Recorder, 2 years old, which cost more, at the time!)

TCS, what's the implications re. dual layer DVD recorders? New recording system completely?- will existing recorders be compatible?- when will they be available?

bagpuss lives
7th Dec 2003, 19:47
Doh - sorry about that *gets coat* :)