PDA

View Full Version : Prestwick no longer wants GA?

Timothy
6th Dec 2003, 15:51
I phoned PIK Handling the other day for a quote for my light twin and was quoted £60. I called Glasgow Execair and they quoted £40. Landing fees at Glasgow were a little higher, but much less than the difference in handling.

I called PIK back, and told them that last time I had been to Prestwick, PIK Handling had been really helpful and were really trying very hard to build a GA business, and was told "Ah, yes. That was when we were starting up and needed the business...we are now busy enough that we don't need your business."

I do find all this rather surprising, as Glasgow is much busier than Prestwick, and much more convenient for centres of population and business, yet turns out to be cheaper.

And even as an absolute, £60 seems to me to be a usurious amount of money to charge for a minibus from parking to the terminal and back.

Although the VFR airfield of choice remains Cumbernauld, it does seem that for IFR Glasgow is preferable to Prestwick from every point of view. Let's hope that PIK Handling remain in a position where they don't need my, or presumably any GA, business.

W

Keef
6th Dec 2003, 17:23
Ah, non, at Prestwick one contacts the Flying Club, who were extremely helpful last time I was there, and didn't charge any of those big numbers. They are "round the back" of the airport, and the taxi drivers do sometimes need more precise instructions.

Have a word with Warped Factor - he's a local and will know more.

Timothy
6th Dec 2003, 17:51
Keef

As you know, I am in a position to do what you suggest (and indeed our mutual friend MMc... is being particularly helpful) but the general principal still stands of PIK pricing GA out of Prestwick.

W

mad_jock
6th Dec 2003, 22:49
Is it PIK which is imposing these fees or the handlers?

Must admit I have always used the flying club and its been in the region of 10 quid for landing fee and over night parking.

MJ

NCNG
6th Dec 2003, 22:52
The thing to do here is to go to either the flying clubs or Greer Aviation, based on Apron G at the Airport - the Airport switchboard (01292 511115) will direct you there. I can positively say that we are not trying to discourage GA - quite the opposite in fact.

PIK Handling are probably quite expensive - but I know that Greer have built up quite a nice little GA handling business at reasonable rates - with good facilities and very friendly staff.

Hope you've not been put off totally, hope to see you back at EGPK soon.

Timothy
6th Dec 2003, 22:55
NCNG

I shall come, and I shall be going to P1.

...and yes the charges are entirely PIK's

W

2Donkeys
7th Dec 2003, 19:33
I've gone into PIK many times and always used the club. Even in quite large aircraft it has never cost more than a tenner, and the reception has been unfailingly friendly. It had never even occurred to me to call Prestwick Handling, in the same way that the Gavroche would not be first on my list for a quick bite to eat.

;)

flying snapper
10th Dec 2003, 19:22
This has happened before, I suggest contacting the flying club at any airfield you are planning to go to. This way you can get all the information you need together with the best deal on landing fees and parking.;

If you contact PRESTWICK FLIGHT CENTRE on 01292 476523 you will be able to take advantage of reduced landing fees and no handling changes. The Flight Centre is a flight training organisation (PPL and beyond) and our happy, smiling team of little elfs will be only too happy to arrange taxis, put the kettle on, etc. We have a full range of facilities including maintenance and fuel and our own apron (echo) where you can be directed to on landing.

Hope to see you there!:ok:

Keef
10th Dec 2003, 19:52
fs - yes, I can confirm that from first hand. Very helpful, friendly people - actually pleased to see us!

Would do it that way every time.

Lurcher Man
10th Dec 2003, 19:57
Using Flying Clubs or Maintenance organisations on 'big' airfields seems to be the 'rule of thumb' way of reducing charges and fuel costs.

Certainly works at Bournmouth & Cardiff.

Maybe the publishers of the flight guides could include this info?

Otherwise a new thread with recommendations or is that a no no?

I certainly think that some Handling Agents take advantage of their apparant monopoly situations.

However we must not discourage the provision of first rate service, at a price that is viable.
I guess as usual the market will decide, with the benifit of information and choice!