PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Conversion

AvroDriver
6th Dec 2003, 03:38
Hi everyone
need your help on section G of the LAS.
as far as the skill test for the conversion of a FAA ATPL after you pass all 14 exams, can the skill test be done in a type rating course sponsor by any companies?
thank you

dorosenco
6th Dec 2003, 04:03
AvroDriver,

If you have the required hours to be issued a JAA ATPL and hold a FAA type rating, than yes, you can do your skill test on type and have issued a JAA ATPL with the type rating on it. You need, however, to find the aircraft by yourself and schedule the test with a CAA examiner. I heard that it takes 6 months to get a date for that kind of test with a CAA examiner.

M.85
6th Dec 2003, 23:08
Dear Avrodriver,

You have to give the CAA a call or go to their website to see the list of APPROVED TRTOs and the type of aircraft they offer.
Dont forget that you will need to get the base flight in order to get your licence issued,so make sure the TRTO you join has the actual aircraft to conduct such test(not only the sim part).

You will have to be observed by a CAA examiner not only a TRE.
You will be assessed on both the I/R(raw data flying;ir rules..)and the type rating itself.
Find someone to share the time its cheaper..make sure the fellow agrees to be observed by the CAA though.Heard one was failed on the IR when he wasnt supposed to be checked!!...
6 months is a good figure..the TRTO may get some earlier if they have good contacts with the CAA lady.

If you have more than 500 hours on Type(not sic checkout) on AC like Boeing,Airbus...you may need only to sit 3 exams.not the 14.

Hope this helps,

Safe flying,

M.85

redsnail
7th Dec 2003, 06:54
M85,
Your last paragraph isn't exactly correct. You need +1500 hours in command (not P1 U/S) on 30 tonne + aircraft in primarily international or similar operations to get out of doing the 14 exams. Note, you'll only get a UK CAA ATPL valid on G- reg aircraft only.
If you have 500 hours on multi pilot operations then you can get away with some stuff. Still need the exams though.

AvroDriver
8th Dec 2003, 08:51
It seems as usual pretty complicated to get this conversion done!
your answers helped, would it be realistic to say that with 500 hours on type as First officer, 1500 hours multi-crew, the 14 exams I can apply at any european company and during initial training get the JAR-FCL ATPL?
does anyone knows if this path has been followed?
If not, as far as a TRTO, when you mention Base fligth, do you mean flight on the actual aircraft?
thank you in advance
AvroDriver
anyone knows a TRTO AVRO RJ-85?

svenfly2
9th Dec 2003, 23:40
Quck question here for anyone who may know. If you take your 14 exams and wait to get your checkride done, do you now have a frozen atpl until the ride is completed? From my understanding many carriers will consider you if you have a frozen atpl because their training will eventually give you a ride to upgrade which would unfreeze the atpl. Any ideas here? I currently have 1000 PIC on the CRJ and wish to convert to JAA from my current FAA ATP and am lead to believe I still need the 14 exams pluys a ride with the CAA examiner? Thanks for any help...

M.85
29th Dec 2003, 21:58
Svenfly,
Sorry if im late..
In order to get a JAR ATPL you need the 14 exams(unless exempted as written above),the radiotelephony licence(easy exam)and do either:a type rating (you will then get a unrestricted ATPL) or a CPL(hours to test as required by school)plus you have to go through a IR flying course which includes a minimum of hours(i believe its 15or 35,not sure)
If you chose the first option,youll do 3 tests in one observed by the CAA(not a designated one as you have in the USA)which include Instrument rating test/ATPL skill test/Type rating test.
If you chose option two:youll do a CPL skill test(VFR)and a Instrument rating skill test.Both will cost as much as a type rating..so its up to you to decide..

I went for a type rating but no hours on it doesnt help at all..
Since you have time on the CRJ..you may do ,i think,an abriviated course to be granted your faa type on your JAA licence.

Hope that helps,

Safe flying,
M.85

from what i wrote above im sure you understand you cant have a frozen atpl just by sitting the exams..
Youll still have to do the appropriate skill tests.

Avrodriver,

Yes the base flight is in the actual aircraft..quite fun but EXPENSIVE..

SAW
30th Dec 2003, 21:24
In respect to the flight test can it be all done in an approved level C or D simulator ?:confused:

svenfly2
30th Dec 2003, 23:27
Thanks M.85 for the help. I just talked to Naples Air Center and the lady that works there was also real helpful. According to her you take the 14 exams and then complete a Commercial Check ride there with a JAA examiner in the area. That will then give you a frozen atpl until you pass a type ride. I think many european co's will look at you if you have a frozen atpl because they know that you will take a ride in their company at some time. Hope this helps and happy new year to everyone.

dorosenco
30th Dec 2003, 23:41
svenfly2,

be careful, you need an IR for a "frozen ATPL". With only a JAA CPL you're not going very far ... NAC only gives you a CPL, not a CPL/ME/IR (which is a frozen ATPL).

Ninety-Nines
31st Dec 2003, 02:46
Just to expand to dorosenco:

You can complete everything in the US apart from the JAA IR. No school in the US can complete this as JAR requires this to be completed in a JAA member state.

A number of options for the JAA IR are:

1. Complete an FAA IR which gives credit towards the JAA IR training whereby you are only required to complete 15 hours (however experience lends to planning for 20 hours dual)

2. Complete training at a school with approved JAA IR Instructors and complete the remaining hours at a school in a JAA member state.

Good luck

Nikki