PDA

View Full Version : Easy Jet To Base In Bournemouth ?

MARKEYD
5th Dec 2003, 21:53
HAVE HEARD A RUMOUR THAT EASY JET ARE LOOKING TO BASE 2 737 300 AT BOH WITH A POSSIBLE START DATE OF MAY 04 ROUTES ARE

EDINBURGH DAILY
BELFAST DAILY
LIVERPOOL DAILY
PARIS ORLY 2 DAILY
ZURICH DAILY
PALMA DAILY
ROME DAILY
FARO SAT SUN
ALICANTE SAT SUN

A POSSIBLE 2 MORE A/C JOINING IN APRIL 2005 TO THE FOLLOWING
MALAGA
NEWCASTLE
ATHENS
GENEVA
MADRID

BOH HAS ALREADY BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD WITH BUZZ AND THE SUBSEQUENT RYANAIR FIASCO SO ALTHOUGH THIS NEWS IS REALLY EXCITING THE BEST POSSIBLE IN FACT , MIGHT BE PRUDENT TO WAIT AND SEE

eurostar builder
6th Dec 2003, 01:34
That seems like a lot of flights to start with to me..

Lets hope this is true....Heres wishing...

Deeko01
6th Dec 2003, 02:00
Interesting, aside just wondering anyone any idea who owns or is going to own the ex-ansett 737-300's? think there are 4 of them.

ta

Meeb
6th Dec 2003, 02:05
The -300's belong to the Dart Group, to be used by their different divisions, Channel Express for their new Royal Mail contract & Jet2.

eurostar builder
6th Dec 2003, 02:11
is any of these new royal mail contracts from Bournemouth then ???

Smokie
6th Dec 2003, 02:21
Looks like Easy are throwing down the Gaunlet to Flybe.

BOH is certainlty a better airfield than SOU; longer runways, not so much perf limitations etc.

And ......the Same Catchment Area!!

Lite Blue touch paper and stand well back .............

eurostar builder
6th Dec 2003, 02:25
Looking again at those easy flights that would be...

9 daily flights - with two aircraft - 4.5 flights each plane a day with the return legs too..

Umm sounds Fishy to me...:}

WHBM
6th Dec 2003, 02:53
Should provide some punters for the Cash Machine.

stevobeevo
6th Dec 2003, 17:20
If this rumour is correct then some of these flights may originate from other airports. That would explain why there are more routes than two aircraft could service.

Buzz planned to fly La Rochelle using a W pattern from Stansted.

Liverpool seems a dubious choice of destination from BOH. Not sure that it would work on a daily basis.

If this does go ahead then hopefully they'll start building that long awaited terminal. The improvements they've carried out are good, but it still gets busy if theres more than two flights departing at the same time.

blackflyer
8th Dec 2003, 01:03
An easy 737 positioned from Liverpool to Bournemouth earlier this week. Does anybody know the reason?

ezyBoh
8th Dec 2003, 01:45
GEZJL positioned from LPL-BOH for maintenance after being damaged at LPL during ground handling.

Easyjet will NOT being opening a base at BOH as this would dilute the passenger loads at LGW.

stevobeevo
10th Dec 2003, 23:51
From todays Bourneomouth Echo:

NEW Bournemouth airport boss Keith Kerr is off to a flying start, with hopes of announcing a new low-cost airline coming on board within the next three months.

It will be a welcome boost for the Hurn complex, which suffered a major blow in February when Ryanair's takeover of low-cost rival Buzz saw a string of new European destinations being axed.

"It's ripe for such an opportunity to come along and with a following wind and a bit of luck it may be possible to make an announcement very soon," said Mr Kerr.

Interest from cut price airlines wishing to operate out of Bournemouth is still very strong, according to the new managing director.

Head of property services, Steve Rippon-Swaine, who has been holding the fort since former airport chief Glyn Jones resigned suddenly in September, added: "The Buzz fiasco was dire but it showed there was a huge pent-up demand for low-cost flights to tourist destinations."

Fresh from his role as general manager for customer service and operations with British Airways at Heathrow, Mr Kerr has big plans for expanding the Bournemouth site.

The airport already has planning permission for a new terminal building, which could see capacity rise to around 1.25 million passengers per year, and the development will go ahead as soon as the passenger demand warrants it, said Mr Kerr.

"It all depends on the success of the airport within the next three years, but we hope to be able to make a decision by 2006," he said.

"The catchment area for the airport covers some 4 million people, but we're only reaching about half a million at the moment. There is a huge potential for growth."

In the meantime, he hopes to increase the number of scheduled flights available to local passengers.

Mr Kerr, 48, brings a wealth of experience from over two decades at British Airways, where he moved from stints in the engineering and finance departments through to managing customer services and operations at Heathrow's terminal four.

Another key success was a secondment as president and chief executive officer with Air Jamaica, where he saw through the successful privatisation of the airline.

Rumours rife over airline

RUMOUR is rife in the industry as to which low-cost airline may come to Bournemouth.

Speculation appeared on one website for pilots and aviation professionals on Tuesday.

One worker in air traffic control speculates that easyjet will makes Bournemouth its 11th UK base, with eight aircraft operating from here in the next three years. Another message hints the same.

Jet2, which is based at Leeds-Bradford and flies to 12 European destinations, has also been named as a possibility, the logic being that parent company Channel Express is based at Bournemouth.

And another message suggests that bmibaby, which currently operates from Cardiff, East Midlands, Teeside and Manchester, could be on the cards.

eurostar builder
10th Dec 2003, 23:58
PPRUNE made the local Evening paper

Rumours rife over airline

RUMOUR is rife in the industry as to which low-cost airline may come to Bournemouth.

Speculation appeared on one website for pilots and aviation professionals on Tuesday.

One worker in air traffic control speculates that easyjet will makes Bournemouth its 11th UK base, with eight aircraft operating from here in the next three years. Another message hints the same.

Jet2, which is based at Leeds-Bradford and flies to 12 European destinations, has also been named as a possibility, the logic being that parent company Channel Express is based at Bournemouth.

And another message suggests that bmibaby, which currently operates from Cardiff, East Midlands, Teeside and Manchester, could be on the cards.

360BakTrak
11th Dec 2003, 03:00
Which 'worker' in air traffic control made that speculation then?

MaverickUK
11th Dec 2003, 03:22
An Easyjet pilot living not too far away from Bournemouth - Hurn airport was quoted as saying 'that soon he would not have so far to travel to get to work'.

360BakTrak
11th Dec 2003, 03:54
If that was the comment its hardly committing EasyJet to moving to BOH.....perhaps he's got a job with a different company based there? EAF, FRA etc etc?
But then with the media who knows...............!!!!!!!:confused:

Silvertop
12th Dec 2003, 06:33
I think that easy will probably be a bit busy opening their Berlin base next year to be thinking of BOH

IanH
12th Dec 2003, 06:43
........... or perhaps the Easyjet Pilot is moving house to Gatwick or Luton ????

eurostar builder
19th Dec 2003, 00:25
Any body else heard which low cost Airline is making a move for Bournemouth..

EasyJet
BMi Baby
Jet 2

Any Others....

:ok:

loveJet
8th Oct 2004, 11:33
Rumours are re-circulating about Bournemouth being close to an announcement regarding the setting up of easyJets central southern low cost base. The airline is said to be considering several routes from Bournemouth including Malaga, Alicante, Palma, Faro, Murcia and Valencia...

JB007
8th Oct 2004, 12:11
If Kerr was going to approach anyone with a deal to base aircraft at BOH, then surely he would go to Mr Meeson first..

Does BOH really fit into EZY's sphere??? The catchment area for BOH - Portsmouth, Southampton, Winchester...all very well connected with the motorways (M3/M27) to LGW....

FlyBe have SOU sorted don't they???

BOH-LPL-BOH - Who thought that one up!!!!!!!

wobblyprop
8th Oct 2004, 12:24
if easy are going to BOH it will be interesting to see what ThomsonFly have to say next wednesday.

Roidelstein
8th Oct 2004, 12:34
What's happening on Wednesday, wobblyprop?

wobblyprop
8th Oct 2004, 12:51
apparent new base announement

phil_2405
8th Oct 2004, 13:19
apparent new base announement
By Thomsonfly I take it?

I think BOH is ripe for a LCC base albeit on a fairly small scale. I think its unlikely to be one of the big boys though e.g. easyJet or Ryanair.

jabird
8th Oct 2004, 16:36
That initial list looked dubious because it had ZRH on it, where EZ have pulled out due to landing fees - if they were happy to give the London traffic to BA & Helvetic, why would they then want to operate the route from BOH.

EZ have talked before about "not cannibalising existing bases" - a reason they gave for no interest in Rugby / CVT / BHX at the time of the Air consult document. BOH would surely cannibalise both LGW and BRS?

I'd have thought Jet 2 or Thomsonfly would be much more likely - do Jet 2 have the resources to announce another base after such as huge expansion at MAN?

phil_2405
8th Oct 2004, 17:08
I'm surprised Jet2 havent established a base at BOH before now with the company connections with the airport. However I doubt they will establish any BOH base in the near future, they will concentrate on Manchester and LBA.

Gaza
8th Oct 2004, 20:54
The south would benefit enourmously from EZY opening up at BOU. Ryanair committment is questionable with PIK going down to 1 flight a day earlier this year. The timings are great either.

LGW is not that easy /quick to get to from this area. flybe seem to do well out of SOU with fares that are frequently at levels not so low fare.

Tudor
8th Oct 2004, 23:17
Personally I can't see why easyJet would open up another UK base when they've more or less got the whole country covered - I would imagine that they'd close a base (EMA? GLA?) before opening one.

However rumour has it that another European base is on the horizon with Budapest and Krakow been mentioned. Anyone else heard the same or know any different?

EasyBaby
9th Oct 2004, 00:15
Did you forget the other half of the country iain :}

Even further north is Edinburgh and Glasgow and jump the puddle and there's Belfast!

EB;)

BombardierCR7
9th Oct 2004, 01:21
easyJet have a base in every corner of the country

except the most populous outside London...

Greater Manchester
West Yorkshire
West Midlands....

be logical...Why not BOH, a bit difficult to market ouside Dorset don't you think?

I understand the next easy base is in continental europe.

FLYboh
9th Oct 2004, 09:19
I really don't understand all this talk of Easy at BOH. Every indication is that there will be an announcement this week from Thomsonfly. BOH was definately in talks to open a low cost base and hoped to announce this earlier this year. Thomson then announced their deal with Coventry.

Its been widely discussed on here and in the aviation press that Thomsonfly may be coming to BOH, no mention of Easy and BOH that I can find anywhere. Travel Weekly mentioned it only a week or so ago.

Obviously we'd all welcome Easy to BOH but as everyone has said with LGW only 90mins away it would drain their base. The only logical reason would be to secure their market share rather than let another loco pinch passengers from this area.

Well hopefully this will be all settled on wednesday.:ok:

jabird
9th Oct 2004, 10:31
Haven't easy also talked recently of a strategy of "joining up the dots". Surely if a base was started, it would be where they already have a presence. Much more room for growth in Eastern Europe, and perhaps a small gap for more from DTM after V-Bird's collapse?

phil_2405
9th Oct 2004, 11:12
I understand the next easy base is in continental europe.
However rumour has it that another European base is on the horizon with Budapest and Krakow been mentioned.

I think any further easyJet base expansion will occur in Europe. Budapest seems a good choice, they have already built up a fairly large presence in BUD.

Does anyone know if we can expect any further route/base announcements in the near future?

mrshubigbus
10th Oct 2004, 22:27
I just heard that a Thompsonfly B737 is due into Bournemouth at 10.00am on Wednesday 13th October. This is the day that a big announcement is due regarding low cost services from Hurn.
Watch this space!

Yorky Towers
10th Oct 2004, 22:34
Just out of interest, has Easy got the 'Might' to take on Thomson?
Regards
Yorky

Groundloop
11th Oct 2004, 08:00
I don't know about the rumours about Easy and BOH but there have been a few comments regarding a base a BOH diluting Easy's markets at LGW and BRS. Has anyone on this board ever driven from the Bournemouth/Poole/Soton area to Bristol! South Dorset/Hampshire is NOT a catchment area for Bristol - and LGW is not very convenient either.

Why do you think Flybe has been so successful at Soton?

Torquelink
11th Oct 2004, 12:36
Groundloop beat me to it. Relying on the M3/M25 to get from Bournemouth, Southampton, Winchester to LGW is not to be recommended - and x country to Bristol? - forget it. However, SOU is far better positioned than BOH to service this area and provided FlyBe keep doing what they're doing (and SOU can find more stands) SOU will always be a more successful LCC base than BOH.

loveJet
11th Oct 2004, 12:45
....ok ok maybe not easy jet. but watch this space. At last BOH will be where it should be in terms of overtaking southampton and beating the crap out of them. Believe me they can and will. Southampton have so many limitations that Bournemouth (only 29 miles down the road) will overtake BIG TIME

Thunderball 2
11th Oct 2004, 21:32
Bristol to Bournemouth by road - see Groundloop/Torquelink comments above.

I'd actually go one step further and nominate Bristol-Bournemouth as by far the worst cross-country road journey linking two geographically "adjacent" provincial cities in the UK. It's about 80 miles, I guess, but it can take four or five hours....

Birmingham's probably closer by road (in journey time) to Bournemouth than Bristol.

Scottish Flyer
11th Oct 2004, 22:07
I lived in Bristol until recently and made the journey to both Birmingham & Bournemouth a number of times. With no congestion on the motorways, Birmingham could be reached comfortably in under 90 minutes but Bournemouth always took a minimum of 2 hours and it could be much longer. The only reason I flew from Bournemouth was that the Ryanair service to Prestwick was convenient as I was travelling regularly to the south-west of Scotland and not Glasgow and also much cheaper than the alternatives from Bristol.

aeftutor
12th Oct 2004, 10:22
Lovejet

BOH will NEVER 'beat the crap' out of SOU.

BOH might have the space and less performance restrictions, but SOU has the traffic links (both road & rail) & has the infrastructure to sustain airline operations. Other than Ryanair, who were the last scheduled airline to operate out of BOH that did NOT go bust???

Red Snake
12th Oct 2004, 12:03
Yes, BOH's big problem is access. From any direction except due west, SOU is much easier to get to, either by road or rail. Destined to remain mainly a bucket & spade / freight airport, I fear, although certainly room for growth.

MerchantVenturer
12th Oct 2004, 12:46
I am surprised that anyone considers BOH a 'threat' to BRS if a lo-co sets up there. I doubt that the BRS management considers the Bournemouth area to be part of its catchment heartland. Obviously some people from there will use BRS as Scottish Flyer used BOH when he lived in Bristol, but the airports have basically completely different catchments.

As others have said the distance might be relatively small but the roads are usually very user-unfriendly.

SOU is slightly easier to reach from BRS but even that journey is across country on, at times, difficult A roads.

BRS's main 'rivals' are CWL, EXT, the London airports (still) and to some extent BHX.

Since SOU, EXT and CWL started flying to the sun with their own lo-cos it is noticeable that, following a very early lull when bmibaby set up at CWL, the easyJet loads from BRS to the sunspots also flown from its rival airports have actually risen, and they were high in the first place (CAA stats).

So I cannot see that BOH would take traffic from BRS to any significant degree, whichever lo-co sets up there.

Jerricho
12th Oct 2004, 14:49
New flights for Bournemouth then!?!

All they need now are some cotrollers for them.

tribekey
12th Oct 2004, 15:05
looks like thompson fly announcemeny tomorrow. a press flight is expected in the morning-as for routes-wait and see. controllers-new starters coming soon. currently 13 atco's at eghh four more coming soon

360BakTrak
12th Oct 2004, 18:50
But how long will the new 4 stay?................and for the present 13............?!:}

Jerricho
12th Oct 2004, 21:09
(Sorry for the slight drift)

Do we know where the new four controllers are coming from?

360BakTrak
12th Oct 2004, 21:34
Allegedly one from EGNX, one from EGNH and no idea on the other two................lets hope they know what they're letting themselves in for!!:}

loveJet
15th Oct 2004, 15:42
ummm... i didnt say that Southampton had bad connections, or bad infrastructure. But assuming Bournemouth will never overtake Southampton is not really embracing the whole low cost ethis is it? And if you dont ambrace it, you'll be left behind - because thats what the consumer wants.

2007 BOH will handle 1.8m
2007 SOU will handle 1.6m

bet me!!!!

Jet

tribekey
17th Oct 2004, 19:42
one from egsc starting imminently.one from egnh starts in a month or so. the others have to be selected following recent ad in flight mag. all have a full set of ratings. they are letting themselves in for an often quiete but sometimes manic unit! especially on radar. investment is finally seeping through so future looks brighter at last.