PDA

View Full Version : Return to Vietnam

FlyAny
5th Dec 2003, 11:32
A fellow I flew with 33 years ago and I are considering returning to Vietnam for a week or ten days. A Vet return. No healing required, we simply want to see where we grew up one year, and a beautiful country.

I am thinking about arriving in HCMC and traveling up the coast to highway 19 and from there to Pleiku. Maybe into Kon Tum and Dak To.

I would appreciate some opinions on:
organized tours Vs. self tour
safety of self tour
If I coud find a SEL plane to rent would I be able to fly in country on an FAA certificate.

Other insights and opinions appreciated.

luna landing
5th Dec 2003, 21:32
THE PLACE SUCKS - GO TO THE CARRIBEAN INSTEAD - SAFER TOO:ok:

Eddie_Crane
5th Dec 2003, 23:55
Hi,
I went there on self-tours on a couple of occasions.
So far as I can tell it is safe to do self-touring although there's a greater deal of "work" required on your part to "negotiate" various aspects of the journey. A no-hassle approach (but probably more expensive) is usually the "pre-packaged" tour, I noticed though US tourists favoured the self-tour way, while the Europeans (esp. French) opted for pre-packaged.
I take it you already know the place and the people having been there some 30 years ago. The younger generations are probably now somewhat different from what you encountered in those years and they're all friendly people.
Places like Cam Ranh and Oi An/Da Nang have changed a lot between 1994 and 2000 and I think it's even more of a change now. Expect luxury Japanese-run resorts where once there was nothing but incontaminated beaches.. skyscrapers in HCMC (but the Rex still IS there!), fast food chains... and so on.
Can't help ya on the aircraft-rental issue, I am not a pilot. All I know FAA went there for some inspections to determine when infrasctructure would be ready to take US carriers but the whole thing seemed to have been put off. Don't hold me to that though.

C

Moderators? I thought posts such as luna landing's could be removed/edited, I find it of an offensive nature and of little relevance to FlyAny's questions..

luna landing
6th Dec 2003, 05:00
Cesco,

You obviously like the censored/communist ways

Luna:D

Rumet
9th Dec 2003, 18:16
Not sure about your right to fly there, but non-residents are not even allowed to drive a car in Vietnam...

Been there several times. Self-tour very easy these days, and safe I find. Easier if you speak a bit of Vietnamese, but really ok even without that.

I also found the J seating in their new 777s particularly roomy...

Eddie_Crane
9th Dec 2003, 18:42
Yeah, forgot about that...
all cars to be "hired with chauffeur", although you can usually hire a "motorcycle" (if we can call the Honda Cubs that name..:ok: ), used to do that myself in Nha Trang and Cam Ranh.

C

swish266
11th Dec 2003, 20:43
Best way to fly to Vietnam is on a B-52 with nukes!
And do not forget d fokin amoeba, if u have been dere 33 years ago u would know what I am talkin about.
Find out more about HVN and Vietnam in the late '90 by looking up my various comments...

Zingaro
11th Dec 2003, 22:31
Moderators, don't delete the replies of the ignorant. Just let them hang themselves publicly!!
It is always best to get a WELL BALANCED view!
Lets hope we - or our wives and children-don't end up flying behind these two characters one day!!!!

Been to Saigon-HCM many times and found the Vietnamese very friendly. Never found myself in danger of losing my video camera even though it was worth over 2 years salary for the average joe public.
Understand the Unification Express has some hard seats so take some padding with you.
Little shop opposite Continental Hotel turns out some of the best Rosewood model yachts, aircraft etc.
Was a bar near Apocalypse Now which was owned by an american who came back after the war, maybe called Rob.
Enjoy.

A-V-8R
12th Dec 2003, 14:02
I was in Vietnam in 1970.

Since you are an airline employee, (I assume) buy a ticket for the last leg of your flight inbound.

When you apply for your Vietnamese Visa, you will have to specify your port of entry, HCM, Da Nang or Hanoi. You have no flexibility in traveling. Turnaround time for the Visa is quick, important if you are a pilot as you will have to mail your passport to the Embassy/Consulate. You can find the forms to apply on the internet easily.

I always went without a packaged tour. Others are right, you cannot drive a car by yourself, you *may* or may not be able to rent a moped, depending on how far you want to travel. Hiring a taxi for 1 or several days is a better way to go. Me, I look for the 50 year old taxi driver missing an arm or a leg, they will really understand why you are there.

If going without a tour, you will have to spend a fair amount of time planning your itinerary. Hire a travel agent from Saigon/HCM city on the net to work out the details, it will not a be expensive. Do not use the agents that advertise in American military machines. They are good, but too expensive for what the root cost is.

If you are in the US, go to a travel agency in your Asian community for help. Again, it will not be expensive. Most large cities have a substantial Vietnames communities. Go into any Asian grocery store and ask for help to go to Vientnam. I am sure they will direct you.

I would recommend "disposable" cameras for a number of reasons I do not care to elaborate......they are cheap, and you can digitally manipulate the picture afterward......

If you are an American, get an international drivers license from the AAA for the moped. It will help, cost only about $15 bucks or so.

If you plan on taking a train from HCM get your tickets before you arrive. Especially if arriving around Tet (Lunar New Year, about February).

Talk to your doctor before you go. He can give you preventative measures against certain types of intestinal diseases. I still have some kind of mold that show up on the armpit, elbows and crotch when it is hot and humid. Crud, we called it. Doesn't hurt and now is more like an old friend.

Take some things you can trade for souvenirs with you. If you are going up into Yard country, bring some of those Exacto carving sets. Try to bring tools instead of clothes or toys.....

If you were in the infantry, do not bring old tactical maps with you. Scan them, and send them as email to yourself as a .jpg. You can print them at any internet cafe in country. Much of the country has changed dramatically, and many roads have been renamed.

Most of the Vietnamese people I met will kill you with kindness. Still, be careful. Everybody lost a relative in the war; be they Vietnamese or American.

Some heal, some never forget.

Won2Go
14th Dec 2003, 09:25
A-V-8R is incorrect in his statement re Vietnam Visa. There is no longer any requirement to specify point of entry. Tousist visa is valid for single entry at any port within thirty days of issue of visa.

swish266
17th Dec 2003, 22:05
Guess u might change ur mind if it was ur girlfriend/wife (non-Vietnamese) that got dragged behind a motobike (failed hit and run snatch) by her gold chain only 100 m from Rex hotel...
Camcorders are plenty in Vietnam as HVN cabin crew and even some pilots smuggle in a lot of stolen goods from Japan... Expropriated by the Vietnam mafia there...

Soho_Sophie
18th Dec 2003, 08:38
If you've already been there, tick it off your list and go somewhere else.

Most frequent description of Vietnamese "would kill their own relative for a dollar". Yet they come across as sooooo friendly - it all depends on how they can benefit from being friendly to you. Very clever at it. One guy I fly with won't leave the Hotel if he has to go there any more - he's been done over like a dinner - conned out of a lot of expensive 'presents' by a 'beautiful lady'.

Swish266 you are correct. Last time I was leaving Australia a Vietnamese f/a got nabbed leaving with a suitcase full of stolen laptop computers.

Hanoi_Sooooooophie today!!!

Ralph the Bong
19th Dec 2003, 15:38
As I understand it, just about all crew have a little import/export 'business' on the side. There was a story a while ago about a bag falling out of the bulk hold and bursting open on the tarmac; Said bag contained about 400 mobile phones. Aircraft rental: Forget it. Not allowed. Consider, too, other health issues besides gut infections. About half the sex workers have hiv infections and about 8% of recent hiv tests are coming back positive, according to a doctor mate of mine. Keep an eye on personal belonings. Dont flash cash or leave valuebles unattended. Wear a backpack that cant be torn from your shoulders by some passing motorcycle cowboy. Other than that, it is a safe and interesting place. Oh yes, beware of pickpockets.

Soho_Sophie
20th Dec 2003, 20:53
Correct Ralph, Like other communist countries, they have hidden the true facts about the country's rapidly increasing HIV infections.

I guess you are only too well aware about the story of one of the ex AN pilots up here who is HIV positive. (only been in SGN a year). Doesn't go back to OZ on leave any more. Trying to keep it secret from his family I guess.

FlyAny
21st Dec 2003, 12:25
Thanks for the responses and information.
We are not airline employees. Not sure what that meant.
If any other information of interest pops up we would be happy to have it.

Grandpa
22nd Dec 2003, 16:20
...German tourists returned to France, Italy, Poland, Tchekoslovaquia, Hungarya, Rumany, Bulgary, Greece, Russia, and even Isra'l YEARS AGO!

Ralph the Bong
22nd Dec 2003, 19:20
Yes Sophie, I have heard the rumours, but only here, in this forum, from you. We are also aware of a western female, who has contacts with Vietnam Airlines, but is not necessarily employed by them, who has been spreading "untruths" about several expat pilots, not just ex-AN, who she perceives not conform to her standards of 'moral' behaviour. Funny enough, her "moral behaviour" involves getting drunk and outrageously verbally abusive. Especially at men who have Asian wives. I have even been told that she has assaulted people whilst inebreated. As there are no ex-AN pilots who do not return home on leave and as the CAAV tests us all for hiv every 6 months, I can only conclude that the information that you were given by your ground staff friends is only a rumour.

swish266
22nd Dec 2003, 23:53
I cannot agree more wit LL. Vietnam su--s!
I tend to believe that an expat pilot might have already joined the HIV-p ranks...
The commie gov there is doing everything to hide the fact that it needs the sex industry as bad as the other countries in SEA...

Soho_Sophie
23rd Dec 2003, 17:09
er Ralph sweetie, When did I mention Vietnam Airlines?

You've been on that Bong too much darling

Ralph the Bong
23rd Dec 2003, 20:42
Ah my appologies Sophie, I did not mean at all to infer that this person was you. (well, in reality, it could be, but I extend to you the benefit of doubt). All I am saying is that there exists a source for such spiteful rumours and that that person is well known in the flesh to many people up here. I do reiterate that the only time that I have heard this particular rumour is from you.

PPRuNe Radar
23rd Dec 2003, 22:47
Moderators, don't delete the replies of the ignorant. Just let them hang themselves publicly!!

Absolutely :)

If anyone wants down to earth information on the place then I would suggest that contacting Slasher would be your best bet. He's lived there for years through good times and bad and is well know for calling a spade a f****ng shovel when an honest and forthright opinion is needed.

Have a great trip.

asianflyer2
2nd Jan 2004, 17:23
Don't be put off. Vietnam is a wonderful place and gets better every year.

I lived there (Haiphong and Hanoi) for two and a half years until April 2002 and recently made a return visit.

Try to include Hanoi in your travels - one the best Asian cities. Excellent food, good hotels and reasonable prices. Don't miss Halong Bay

You will find a very warm and genuine welcome. Only in small towns was I asked "where do you come from?"

You need to be "street wise" in Ho Chi Minh. Take care there.

Check the weather. The north tends to follow the Hong Kong/South China weather pattern and the south the Thai/Cambodian systems.

If you would like any further information contact me by e-mail.

You will have a great time.

Panama Jack
2nd Jan 2004, 17:43
Never been to Vietnam but certainly wanted to go there when I was relatively close, in the PR of China. My Chinese friends were horrified (not much love across the border).

At the risk of my stating the already known, I've found Lonely Planet guidebooks to be indispensable for independent travel-- I am sure that most of your questions and curiosities would be answered there-- although on the SEL thing, I highly doubt you'll be able to get something.