PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Runway at BHX

iflyhighinthesky
5th Dec 2003, 02:29
Well Its called the rumour network, and i have heard a rumour....

Birmingham looks set to get a second runway with a big expansion.

Good news for the midlands, except not for the residents i guess.

:ok:

Avman
5th Dec 2003, 02:39
Dream on mate. It'll never happen in your lifetime! They've been talking about extending the present runway over the Coventry road since the 1960s ! Besides, I don't honestly believe that Brum needs an extra runway. It does need a couple more high speed turnoffs though.

egeebee
5th Dec 2003, 04:19
BHX will never expand as its penned in by housing. The only way it can grow is up. Its the UKs second City, but Manchester has by far taken over in size because its out in the sticks. Coventry is the future for development. Runway extension and terminal currently WIP!!

Max Angle
5th Dec 2003, 06:05
So two airports that don't need an extra runway get one and the one that does need an extra runway goes without. Great transport policy!.

larry walker
6th Dec 2003, 04:13
Responding to egeebee from Bristol who remarked that BHX is penned in by housing, he is largely correct if only the existing site is considered.

However, the proposals in the consultation paper, which included both an extended runway and a new runway, use land which is on the other side of the A45 road.

The consultation paper mentioned both runways being approx 3000 metres long. The airport company subsequently submitted their own proposal as part of the consultation exercise. The major change was that the second runway would be approx 2200 metres. This change was designed to reduce considerably the number of homes affected by the expansion. These properties are in a village called Catherine de Barnes.

Local rumours suggest that the airports own proposal may find favour in the soon to be issued White Paper.

Bear in mind that any expansion, if it takes place, will be over the next 30 years, and will probably start with the extension to the existing runway at the 33 end.

Moving on to expansion at Coventry, I think that starter strips are being put on both ends of the runway this winter. Some re-surfacing work is I think also to be undertaken. The extended runway will be approx 2000 metres.

Little, or no further extension could be carried out later at the 05 end due to the presence of a major road junction. Extension at the other end is possible.

Perhaps a local Coventry resident knows the maximum distance that the runway could be extended to.

Larry Walker

almost professional
6th Dec 2003, 04:37
the problem with expanding Birmingham is not so much where you put the runway, but the environmental impact on the surounding population-this is likely to increase those affected by many thousands-a big no no today-however the report into expansion in the midlands reckoned that the impact of a second runway at East Midlands would be minimal, you can draw your own conclusions from that!

Daysleeper
6th Dec 2003, 05:05
Larry

If you can bury 2 roads cov could easily go another 500 - 1000 meters, depends how much you want to spend.

However the current plan is for no runway extension, its long enough for most lo cost ops as it is. The terminal is still stuck in planning which is a bit unreasonable as it only replaces the dump of a terminal inherited from the council.

opsmaneurope
6th Dec 2003, 05:26
I was of the opinion that BHX already had a 2nd runway, well it certainly did years ago, all be it a shorter and cross runway!

larry walker
6th Dec 2003, 16:56
Hello opsmaneurope,

You are quite correct at the moment. There is an existing cross runway 06/24, which was originally about 1300 metres long. It has the railway line at one end and the main road at the other.
It already operates at reduced length since the 80's stands, which are being expanded now, were developed.

The eastern end of the runway serves as the taxiway to the new stands. I understand that the remainder will be phased out in time.

It is unfortunate that at BHX the preferred runway heading has never been an option for expansion, due to the constraints mentioned above.

Regards
Larry Walker

Midland Maniac
6th Dec 2003, 17:53
Its about time the midlands is recognised as a proper hub for travel. Who really wants to fly into Heathrow when you have to add 45 mins to your journey just to get in the que to land!!!

Bigger runway at BHX is what is needed. Lets stop investing in London all the time!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/cockpit.gif

Jonty
6th Dec 2003, 19:42
I think Brum will get its second runway. Its a prime target for expansion. right next to the M6, M42 and M5. With a major train line just yards away. Also with the new toll road due to open in jan getting there will be easier than ever. Its in the center of a major catchment area and is getting bussier all the time. Admittedly the current 15/33 need some RET's desperatly.

P.Pilcher
7th Dec 2003, 02:04
I understand that on Wednesday, 10th. November, it is being anounced that EGBB will expand to 1.5 times the size of EGLL (!) but they are getting a 2nd. (smaller) runway - presumably enlarging 33/15 over the Coventry road to take transatlantic, well laden Jumbos

Ian Farquharson
7th Dec 2003, 02:10
I assume you mean Wednesday 10th December NOT November ?

P.Pilcher
7th Dec 2003, 05:29
Correct - Sorry about the typo - I also learn that the said white paper may possibly be published on the Tuesday.

beamer
7th Dec 2003, 14:54
As of last night - latest rumour at BHX was NO second runway but small extension at 15 threshold and more significantly a tunnel for A45 and longer extension to 33 threshold. What seems far more certain is that Coventry will expand causing some problems for ATC as runway alignments are not ideally compatible. Strong rumours of low-cost Orange operator going into Cov probably preceeded by all the odds and sods that use the old western apron at Brum.

All this came from the bowser driver yesterday afternoon so it must be right !!!!!!!!!!!!

Midland Maniac
7th Dec 2003, 19:14
well if the info comes from a bowser driver or an enginner, then the info must be correct!!! Thats how all us flight deck find out whats going on in the world!!!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/SPericani2.gif

almost professional
7th Dec 2003, 19:30
If BA could not make transatlantic pay with a B757 what chance with heavily laden Jumbo's?
Most likely reason for extra runway capacity in the midlands(certainly of the longer variety) is for freight and that market is already mostly tied up

Avman
8th Dec 2003, 02:22
almost professional,

You might be right about the Atlantic (as far as scheduled services are concerned). But my guess is that the ever growing Indian and Far East markets would be viable with heavies. Then there's the long range charter scene.