PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Class one medical vs JAR

Danish
4th Dec 2003, 15:54
Do any of you CX pilots have information about vision requiment for a Hong Kong Class One Medical?
I have a JAR Class One Medical and have had for the past 7 years. In JAR we have the requirment that you need to hav 6/6 vision on one eye and 6/6 on both eyes together, but one of the eyes can have 6/9 vision.......and yes thats what I have. The condition is stationary and has been since 1990, and I have never in those years had any remarks on my medical.
Now I know that to have an American Class one Med. I would need 6/6 vis'on on on both eyes individually........and here is my question (finally) is HKCAD having same requirment as the US or as JAR (or maybe a whole different req.)?

The reson for my question are that I'm "almost" sitting on a yes-letter for a SO-position at CX.....I've done all the interviews and have passed (I know from recuitment) and have just been back to Hong Kong for the medical, and was send home with eye-forms to fill out......And as you can immagine, I'm stressing out if I'm being rejcted on the medical (which I have actually had i Europe for the last 7 years, and have no problem in renewing every year)

I have tried to e-mail to HKCAD, but they have not yet returned with any answer....so if any of you have actual facts on this subject I would greatly appriciate some info, so I can get on with my life and either be forever sad that I was ALMOST THERE :{ or on the other hand have a very marry xmas:D .

Danish
ps: I take it that you all know that 6/6 equals 20/20 (meters/feet)

Colonel W E Kurtz
4th Dec 2003, 20:48
Hi Danish

As far as I am aware the eyesight requirements are farely slack and have recently been relaxed as cx was having difficulty in recruiting local cadets with good enough eyesight. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The HKCAD are very slow when it comes to getting back to you so don't expect a reply any time soon ... or ever.

However as I said I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hope that helps, see you in HK!