PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Heard Anything About Blue Operating From Birmingham?

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
4th Dec 2003, 15:04
I recently heard that there is going to be a new upmarket charter op (Seriously) operating out of Birmingham UK.

It is apparantly going to be starting early 2004. And has all backing and bits of paper etc.

Well it all sounded a bit too pie in the sky to me.

Has anyone heard anything about it? If so what are they going to operate etc?

lowfaresbuster
4th Dec 2003, 17:05
that would be flyblu website (http://www.flyblu.com)

BHX to Florida..
according to the website........

Style, comfort, humanity. Many people planning to travel long haul need rather more than just a price bargain to ring their bell! Many are desperate to rediscover the joy of being treated like a person, being appreciated, respected and served.

We believe we have the solution to the misery that has become economy long haul flying. The offer is simple, the service is personal and the experience is stylish. In short, flyBlu raises the long haul game substantially.

THE BHX ADVANTAGE!

Birmingham is the perfect departure point for more than 10 million people who either cannot easily get to Heathrow or Manchester, or might prefer not to! And now that you can reach three popular Florida destinations direct from BHX, why would you need to go elsewhere?

Excellent Road and Rail connections right to the departure hall also make access to BHX from the rest of the UK no problem. With space, time and location, flyBlu just has to be your first choice next time you plan a trip to Florida.

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
4th Dec 2003, 23:02
Thanks lowfarebuster.

I heard it from the non flying community. Ie via someone who know the guy setting it up.

I may go fish for jobs then!:cool:

Ella
5th Dec 2003, 04:41
'Buster.

Speaking as someone who actually flies 767 -300's from BHX to SFB has anyone had the good grace to point out to you that BHX is probably Britains most unlikely succesfull long haul departure point? Since the runway has the smoothness of a slag heap and the length is such that anything over +15 and a QNH under 1013 means you are totally screwed to even make the Isle of Man, never mind Orlando, good connections to BHX will not matter if your passengers are regularly treated to an impromptu visit to Bangors duty free enroute to their holiday!

I note that your website does not mention aircraft. So if you have solved the Airbus/Boeing equations to show that without the ten tonns of freight needed to make this route pay (allowing for the reduced number of seats up top) then you truly are onto a winner. Please let us, in the mainstream holiday airlines know how to do it.

The other point you will have to remember is that some of the UK charter airlines are aware that their long haul product is not good enough. There are moves afoot already to introduce premium seating throughout and back seat IFE to all seats within the next two years to ALL long haul destinations, not just Orlando. That will seriously erode your advantage.

Until then I will take the web site and the enthusiastic posts above as so much 'hot air', which by the way is not good for max take off weights!!

lowfaresbuster
5th Dec 2003, 18:05
hello Ella

flyblu has nothing to do with me....."your website"

It's not mine- what ever made you think that? posiibly the fact that you did not read the previous post's?

Ella
5th Dec 2003, 18:48
My deepest apologies, I missed the line ' according to the website'... I thought you were representing the company.

RTFQ = RTFPosts!!

:hmm:

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
8th Dec 2003, 04:10
Good point Ella.

I seem to remember though that there was an operation a couple of years back that was operating to Toronto from Birmingham.

They were doing a routed from B'Ham with full fuel load to Toronto, Then full fuel load back to Exeter. THey landed at exeter and chucked the Exeter PAX off and loaded the Toronto bound PAX but no fuel. Flew up top B'Ham and changed the B'Ham PAX over as well as recatering and cleaning as well as doing the full fuel upload.

I know they used either a 757 or 767.

I am fairly sure they carried no cargo though! I never saw any go on at Birmingham or Exeter.

FlyBlu will have a problem to match the BA ticket price to Orlando. It's only about £360.