PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism to Aircraft?

Few Cloudy
4th Dec 2003, 15:02
Guess this could as well be in Questions - but could be news...

Anyone know about malicious damage to aircraft at a "Malaysian airport?"

Very scant headline at another site.

If it is true, it is very bad news - aircraft sit defenceless on the ground at many airports in the world.

Pom Pax
4th Dec 2003, 16:54
Plane's wire found cut (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104455)

Perth Bound Malaysian A330 Sabotaged (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104526)

Trouble on Malaysia A-330 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104525)

Load Toad
5th Dec 2003, 08:01
Wasn't this some weeks ago now (if not months). And are not a couple of the airlines groundstaff employees now under arrest?

Few Cloudy
5th Dec 2003, 20:36
Thanks PP. Guess it was probably that incident. That thread didn't last long - the problem could turn out to be big though.
FC

9M_JON
5th Dec 2003, 23:37
There's a second incident,this time on a Boeing 777.Wires were cut near the nose wheel on the aircraft bound for Bombay with 280 pax.

What would be the motive?On a different incident, an extra passenger without ticket or travel papers flew all the way to Jakarta onboard MAS only to be apprehended and sent back to KLIA.Supposedly to be a cleaner who sneaked into the aircraft and stayed on unnoticed by crew.Don't they do headcounts anymore.

KLIA must beefed up its security and prevent such embarassing if not dangerous breach.

Mick Stability
6th Dec 2003, 01:00
Some idiot cost us £65m by putting graffiti all over the aircraft. He got the sack though:rolleyes:

tanker-driver
6th Dec 2003, 01:42
" he got the sack"

If its the same idiot that I think you are talking about he got a 2m payoff, and double that BA shares!

that is some severance pay in anyone's book!

Goodbye and good riddance Mr Ayling

crewrest
6th Dec 2003, 02:38
Some idiot cost us £65m by putting graffiti all over the aircraft. He got the sack though

LMAO:D

con-pilot
6th Dec 2003, 04:40
This type of activity can happen anywhere, trust me!

I was sabotaged twice (actually one could say three time as you’ll see below) in my career. In both incidences it was on Boeing 727 when I was flying for the United States Marshal Service.

First time: First takeoff from home base. As I started takeoff roll the co-pilot called that the number 3 engine EPR was off scale high. Ok, we had just started to roll, no big deal. We taxied back and as one of the other 2 72’s was not scheduled to fly that day we just switched aircraft. About as hour later we try it again, different airplane, same call, same engine. Not Ok. To make a long story short there was a worm in EPR probe in the first airplane and cut rivet head in EPR probe on the second engine. Figure the odds on that.

About a week later the second incident happened: Again on first takeoff from home base; as I rotated the artificial horizon information on BOTH flight directors failed. Fortunately the weather was clear and I made a visual return and landing. When maintenance came out to the airplane we discovered that both gyro boxes in the E&E compartment had been left unsecured and when I rotated the airplane the gyros had slid out of the racks.

We never did find out who did these things, however the company (which shall remain nameless) that had the maintenance contract had just been notified that their contract had been cancelled just before the above incidences. The worst thing all of this was that we had to put up with FBI (we called them Famous But Ignorant) for about two months.

:uhoh:

Lu Zuckerman
6th Dec 2003, 07:24
I worked as a consultant for a firm in Alabama. This company upgraded C-130s and Boeing tankers. The Air Force cut back on two contracts and the company had to lay off some QC technicians. Several of the individuals effected by the layoff threw aircraft hardware into engines on the wing and several that had just been taken out of the can. The engines had to be completely stripped to determine the extent of the sabotage.

:E :E

Few Cloudy
7th Dec 2003, 03:04
Other things happen at KL too - credit cards get "read" and copied - then used in India and Burma to buy jewelry.

Happened to me last month after a short transit visit with shopping and to a buddy on duty earlier in summer. It's a wonderful airport but sure looks as if security and policing need a hard looking into.

On the original tack again - when you see the money poured into flight safety awareness - how can employees, no matter how fed up, sabotage the very reason for their employment and risk peoples' lives... or is it more sinister than that?