PDA

View Full Version : WSO (Beware WANNABE!!)

Big Cheese1
4th Dec 2003, 03:29
Hi there

After looking through many of the posts on this site about WSO I have some questions which I'm hoping will be answered.

How does one get streamed for FJ, ME or RW, and what A/C types use WSO's on RW?

Is the future bleak for the branch? I've read mixed views on the forum

Does anyone know how many they recruit per year? I've heard that there isn' that big a demand for recruits at present

and finally, is it worth trying to get in touch with some of the sqn's to see if I could go for a visit, or simply to get a bit more 'on the job' gen??

Thanks for your time and patience guys and gals

BC

Big Cheese1
4th Dec 2003, 04:39
and one other thing...

for those of you who are aware of the speed/dist./time questions on www.timc.clara.net I've found that with certain questions I can only work out a close estimate. Is this just simply myself being rather dim or are the tests at sleaford tech multiple choice??

Thanks in advance guys

BC

green brain
4th Dec 2003, 07:12
WSO(nav) studes get streamed after they have completed the Tutor, Tucano and Basic Dominie Modules (approx a years worth of training). Currently, they are being streamed FJ, Nimrod and the odd slot for Multi Engine. The helicopter world have decided that they are not going to take any more ab-initio navs for the time being and concentrate on two pilot operations; although i understand there are still navs on Puma and Chinook, like the rest of the air force i haven't got a clue about the Merlin.

The number of new navs needed is obviously going down considering the rotary decision and the looming withdrawal from service of the F3 and VC10. However, there will still be an important place for Navs on the Nimrod and GR4 for at least 15 years or so.
I would estimate about 6 new courses of 8 navs begin training every year. Some places do go to restreams from other branches and chopped pilots but, like they say, if you're made of the right stuff, there is always a place for you!

It's always worth trying to get a visit sorted and get a better idea of what you are letting yourself in for. You probably won't get very far going through your local armed forces careers office but it's a good starting point for getting all the pamphlets and leaflets. For visits you could try ringing the individual station public relations officers(PROs) or Station training officers (STDOs?) who probably run visits for interested types. Beware of what you are told at the careers offices, in my experience they don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to recruiting aircrew.

Good Luck!

Training Risky
4th Dec 2003, 14:36
Coming from the rotary world I can offer you this:

The mighty Chinook, plastic Puma and freaky Merlin sqns all have a couple of navs on strength. But the training system has stopped taking them on at Shawbury. So the few who are around now DO have jobs, but they are the last of their kind.

Daf Hucker
5th Dec 2003, 03:10
There is no point in applying for WSO(AE), the Navs will nick your job in a year or two!

Big Cheese1
5th Dec 2003, 03:39
Hi guys, cheers for all the gen so far!!

Does anyone know exactly what factors determine whether you're streamed FJ, ME, or RW??

Ideally I'd like to find myself strapped to the backseat of a GR4, however I'm just curious how the powers that be decide for that individual to go FJ instead of, say, the kipper fleet??

So I take it then that the prospects for WSO on RW is virtually nil?

Green Brain - Tried to get in touch with the Marham CRO, but to no avail, I'll try again first thing in the morning!!

Once again, thanks for all your help guys, its all extremely helpful and appreciated.

BC

green brain
5th Dec 2003, 09:52
'Does anyone know exactly what factors determine whether you're streamed FJ, ME, or RW. Ideally I'd like to find myself strapped to the backseat of a GR4, however I'm just curious how the powers that be decide for that individual to go FJ instead of, say, the kipper fleet??'

- Your performance on the basic modules, i.e. tutors, tucs and Doms is the deciding factor in your streaming; so, if you are sent nav then work hard in these early stages and you stand a very good chance of getting FJ. From an average course of 8 people approx 5-6 will be streamed FJ if not more, so the odds are in you favour.

'So I take it then that the prospects for WSO on RW is virtually nil?'

-Yes, it would appear so.

Big Cheese1
6th Dec 2003, 00:37
green brain thanks very much for all your extra info!!!

While I have this thread alive and running at present, would anyone happen to know what colour perception level is acceptable as an Observer in the FAA. I'm cp3 and I've been told that thats fine for WSO, though I have no idea for Observer.

Thanks for your time guys

BC