PDA

View Full Version : New mail sound

Splat
4th Dec 2003, 00:10
Does anyone know how to make this sound continuous in Outlook? That way, I'll hear if mail arrives when I walk past the PC, without having to turning the monitor on from the power save option.

Cheers

Splat.

amanoffewwords
4th Dec 2003, 00:51
You'd probably need to find a .wav file that loops around continously (on google no doubt) and then change the new mail notification setting in the sound part of the control panel.

That's the theory anyway..

amofw

Splat
4th Dec 2003, 02:20
I tried finding one, but to no avail. I'm sure your right, just I've had no joy finding any that loop. I've tried to edit one to make it loop, but that does not work either.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
4th Dec 2003, 15:20
What about downloading a large/long wav and turning your speakers up real loud... :oh:

Splat
4th Dec 2003, 16:37
FSD,

Might have to resort to that. I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant on the workings of sounds, and if there is a way of making a sound loop, that would be the best option.

Now, what sound should I have? "Another brick in the wall"? - could be an idea for JetBlast!

fobotcso
4th Dec 2003, 16:44
This (http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/display/sounds.cfm/sound_group_iid.1103) site has lots of sounds but they want you to pay for each download!

The loop is a good idea if only we could solve it...could solve it...could solve it..... :)

But on This Site (http://newmail.monsterserve.com/movies.htm) the downloads are free. My favourite is the Monty Python "Message for you sir". Right click on the clip you like and left click "Save Target as" and save it to your hard disk. (Anti Virus protection up-to-date and activated.) :sad:

Splat
4th Dec 2003, 22:35
Interesting, although they play as a loop, when you put it as your mail sound, it only plays it once! Feckin windows...

Front_Seat_Dreamer
6th Dec 2003, 23:43
Splat

How many time would you want it to loop?

I have a little experience editing wav's etc so I could talk you through changing one or do it for you then upload it for you to download.

I have just tried registry editing to see if I can change the way it plays the default but nothing seems to work in there.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Dec 2003, 10:42
Splat,

Here is a list of Email Program Add-ons for Outlook:

Email: MS Outlook Related (http://www.simtel.net/category.php?id=97)

You might be able to find something useful in there for you. There is even an add-on that reads any incoming email so you do not need to get up and go over to your computer.

Take Care,

Richard

Chaffers
8th Dec 2003, 06:58
And to think fobotsco, the chap sitting next to me at my last workplace had a lithp.

I could have played Daffy Duck's, "You're ditttthhhhhpiccable" at him 20 times a day. :E

Splat
8th Dec 2003, 22:07
Thanks to all for the replies

FSD - I'd be happy for one to loop 1000 times - any utilities around to string them together??

fobotcso - totaly agree with the Monty Python one - now fully installed and I'm still laughing.

Regards

S

Front_Seat_Dreamer
9th Dec 2003, 04:19
Splat

Very simple way to do it:

Opan Windows Sound recorder (Start - Progs- Accessories - Entertainment) then open your choice of wav.

Now go to Edit - Copy - Then either go to Edit paste or sit doing CTRL + V until you get to 1000 or whenever you get fed up.

When it comes to saving the file go to File - Save As then at the bottom of the save screen choose the Change format button and save it using something like MPeg Layer 3 ( I am open to suggestions as to other settings but for sheer size of file this works best for me) and also experiment with the Attributes which should be pretty self explanatory.

Now save the file.

Splat
9th Dec 2003, 04:42
FSD,

That's great. However, this solution will not work. Having done it, sent a test mail, listened to it looping, said OK to the mail and it carries on with the sound! I've got to now listen to it a couple of thousand times - that'll teach me to go in with both feet first!

I'll keep looking

S