PDA

View Full Version : questions regarding airport work

wbryce
3rd Dec 2003, 16:37
im unsure if this is the right section, but whos not better to ask than pilots who will know airports inside out!

Ok i have the funding to do all my training, (well not quite yet, still saving to make it)

I thought that working in an airport for a year or so will give me valuable experiance in an Aviation enviroment that will look nice on my CV.

What i want to know is whats a nice job at the airport to try and do? I want one that involves airplanes as much as possible! even if its washing them :D hell id give them a nice polish too :)

I was maybe thinking something along the lines of Cargo, or ramp agent? But what i want to know is how do i find these jobs? ive been monitoring the BAA.co.uk website for jobs available, ive tried contacting them but its like trying to draw blood out a stone!

Is the BAA the people i have to contact for such a thing? or is there airlines that has workers at these airports that does mostly all there aircraft handling duties?

Much advice will be totally appreciated!

Note id be giving up a well established job, so id like to find something permanent, im currently a sales administrator, whos being looked at to be moved to the head of a department in one of the uks top hosting companys. So my prospects in this job is good, but aviations the route i want to go down.

ex-mad dog driver
3rd Dec 2003, 17:20
Wbryce, I did the same thing your abour to do. I feel that you have a better grasp of the aviation industry by working in verious postions. To start you might want to start looking at the different airline websites to find a job. Postions that are close to aircraft are ramp agents, fuelers and cleaners to name a few. One job that I did'n do myself but is always in need is flight attendants.

Good luck,

EXMDD:ok:

ColEurope
4th Dec 2003, 00:50
wbryce,

I'm myself working at Vienna International Airport for two years now.

Assuming the structure of how an Airport is working should be more or less the same worldwide i maybe can give you some useful hints.

If you wanna stay in direct contact with flight crews, ramp agents, loading supervisors or, to a lesser extend, refuelers, cleaners, catering - in that order - would help you most.

All that jobs can be both acomplished by airport personell or airline personell - so those are the right adresses for any applications. In most cases asking in some personell departments of airports would help at most for a first step.

The now following i just know for Austria - i dont know for sure about the situation within EU or anywhere else: Airports should be very secure companys - in our case: we were nearly not effected by any problems caused by 9-11 at all - AND: they should constantly be hiring. Of course it is a matter of company structure how wide your professional field will be and which career opportunities will be offered.

Stay away of loading or deicing jobs - normally you won't be in contact with flight crews, even if you want to, AND what weighs most: those jobs won't be very challenging and you might get bored just after few months (not to mention physical challenge of bad weather all the year and back pain - those are hard jobs, good money in most cases, but there's easier ways to earn it - I know what I'm talking about, did it myself for a few months)

So - that's my thoughts on that topic for now - hope something useful for you.

Chris
LOWW

wbryce
4th Dec 2003, 19:52
so a ramp agent is the best way to go?

Loading supervisor, i guess you would need past time experiance to supervise, or some form of degree or knowledge in the job?

Regarding being a flight attendant, wouldn't that be alot of work to get to that stage? with training etc?

ColEurope
4th Dec 2003, 22:27
loading supervisor and ramp agent are working together on a specified parking position from arrival to departure of an aircraft, so looking on a hirarchy tree, the ramp agent and the loading supervisor would be on the same level but with different tasks.
the ramp agent organizes, mostly via radio, the complete turn-around of an aircraft - he is the link between an airline and the airport. the ramp agent is responsible for right in time passenger transportation from terminal to A/C and back, for ordering ground power units, aso...
during this time the loading supervisor is responsible for the loading of cargo and baggage.

experience in aiport operations is liked to be seen for both jobs, but not mandatory (still speaking about VIE/LOWW but we all are working accordingly to ICAO, JAA, aso standards).

compared with flight attendents i would guess loading supervisor and ramp agent, in my personal opinion, is higher qualified personell - just think of aircraft weight and balance sheets and it's calculation, etc.... but it's another bunch of jobs so you shouldn't compare them

training for those ramp jobs normally will last at least between 2 to 3, up to 6 months. ramp agent have additional courses to attend than loading supervisors, so a logical career step after being loading supervisor is ramp agent.

Chris

carbootking
13th Dec 2003, 01:09
the best 1 i found is wheelchair pushing u deal with every one doing that and get to go on aircraft , and u go places no one else goes so u get to know lay out of airport and most of the time u dont get people watching u all the time. the only thing is winters r very quiet and summers very busy.