PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 medical.

GrantT
3rd Dec 2003, 09:47
Hi,

Does the examiner at a Class 2 medical examine your testicles?

Thanks.

Circuit Basher
3rd Dec 2003, 16:15
Only if you ask him / her nicely!!! ;)

[Non-medically trained response follows]
Seriously, I did my initial under the CAA system around 8 yrs ago and don't honestly remember. Looking on the CAA Medical Pages (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=528), it says Physical Examination - a general check that all is functioning correctly. It will cover lungs, heart, blood pressure, stomach, limbs and nervous system.
It probably means that to some extent, it is down to the individual AME whether it is felt that there is some just reason for the examination, dependant upon other observations and your medical history.

tartan 42
4th Dec 2003, 16:14
Yes..... well in my CAA Class 2 he did.

FireFoxDown
4th Dec 2003, 19:07
Not in my JAA Class 2 ... i do remember there being discussions about why he asks you to cough while holding you testicles - something about coughing will force something downward and he can tell if this is going to be a problem in later life ... anyone able to give a better explanation? :O

Dave Gittins
4th Dec 2003, 20:12
I have my Class 2 done at the Belgrano at Gatwick and they have never examined my testes ........

hadagutful
4th Dec 2003, 20:26
You really have to have balls to go and see some of the medicos out there...............................

But seriously, an examination of this part of the male anatomy is not really necessary for a class 2 med although the 'cough' test is to check for hernia (inguinal).

Of course younger male pilots should be doing regular self examination (or entice the girlfriend) to check for any suspicious lumps or abnormal pain. Testicular cancer has a high cure rate if found early.

GrantT
8th Dec 2003, 10:32
Thanks for the helpful answers.

If he decided to check would there be someone else present to make sure he was doing everything he was supposed to?

Thanks again.

tartan 42
8th Dec 2003, 15:54
Unlikely to be anyone additional present. No need...... it just a quick squeeze and clear your throat... job done. Less than 2 seconds all in. In reality, the Doctor probably does this sort of thing on a daily basis, has seen it all many times before, and does not want to do it anymore than you would want him to.

There is probably some reason for your concern over this.... not sure what it could be. It's all very professional. I went to the CAA at Gatwick for a JAA Class 2 medical a few months back and the whole process was professional, efficient and the people very nice.

I don't know for sure if it is required or not required for a Class 2. They did it in mine and I'm glad as I would rather now know if there is something wrong and get it fixed.

T-42

GrantT
10th Dec 2003, 07:21
Had my class 2 today and passed :ok: He gave them a quick check, no big deal.