PDA

View Full Version : Transporting ketamine to Argentina

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Dec 2003, 21:06
I need to take some IV ketamine with me as personal baggage from UK to Argentina via Spain in a few weeks. This is a controlled drug. Anyone got any advice as to how best to avoid ending up in a lock-up for gringos and eating beans for the rest of my life?

My current plan is a headed note explaining I am a physician and explaining why I need the drug. Is this adequate?

QDM

slim_slag
3rd Dec 2003, 23:02
When off on final year elective to some godforsaken place with a load of such drugs, a letter from the destination country's embassy in London was suggested by med school. Caused more trouble than it was worth when arrived there, as it meant the customs had to do some work they would rather not be bothered to do.

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Dec 2003, 00:19
Q,

If you have a look at the home office website you will find some advice on how to go about this.

You can (IIRC) apply for a special permit to ferry this sort of stuff around.

I had a look about 18 months ago and stumbled across this information.

FD

ratsarrse
4th Dec 2003, 04:33
Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with ketamine? I didn't think it was still used in (human) medicine or have I imagined that?

Bad medicine
4th Dec 2003, 04:35
Ketamine is still widely used in less developed countries, and is making a small comeback in some circumstances in the developed ones.

sss
4th Dec 2003, 05:30
its still used by many in the UK

QDMQDMQDM
4th Dec 2003, 07:13
Thanks all. I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm tempted not to bother taking it and just hope.

Ketamine is very useful for short, reasonably safe general anaesthesia in remote situations. It;s good for bone-setting, draining abcesses and the like.

I once gave it to a woman who my wife was doing a D+C on, but her BP went through the roof and I had to keep her very light. She quacked like a duck throughout, literally like a duck. It was hilarious and, thankfully, she didn't remember a thing about it. The really funny thing, though, was that she was a midwife and one of her friends, also a midwife, was assisting my wife and this woman was so doubled over with laughter she could barely assist. At one point the patient was quacking away on the operating table and her friend was lying on the floor screaming with laughter, also quacking away in imitation.

Quite a jolly affair all round!

QDM

countdechickens
5th Dec 2003, 06:35
So thats why I go and see the Quack.

slim_slag
6th Dec 2003, 00:05
I asked a friend who goes on medical missions what they do, she said they have to get this sort of thing cleared with the foreign authorities first.

QDMQDMQDM
6th Dec 2003, 00:38
Thanks, slim_slag. I'm going to scotch the idea. Too risky.

QDM