Just an other number
2nd Dec 2003, 20:18
Is it just me...or?
Hotmail has today changed its format.
I try to sign in on Netscape 6.1 - my preferred browser
get this message -

"Web Browser Software Limitations
Your Current Software Will Limit Your Ability to Use Hotmail

You are using a web browser that Hotmail does not support. If you continue to use your current browser software we cannot guarantee that Hotmail will work correctly for you.

We recommend that you upgrade your web browsing software and invite you to download Microsoft Internet Explorer 6."

Then I press the continue (with netscape) button and
Bingo
my computer freezes
requiring restart
and yes of course the new Hotmail works with my IE 6.0.2800 (except that it is horribly slow which is why I prefer netscape).

Earlier today in the office netscape worked but there was very little contrast so very difficult to identify any buttons.

As I said at the beginning -
Is this just me and my machine?
or is it another plot by Microsoft?
Shall I pass on Hotmail and use Yahoo?
(got to tell an awful lot of people if I change my address)

Front_Seat_Dreamer
3rd Dec 2003, 03:58
jaon

I have just tried loggin in using Opera and Mozilla firebird and both went in without a problem.

I stand to be corrected but Netscape 6.1 is a little dated and that is probably why it isn't working I am sure you could find other sites that will not work properly either.

Why not download Opera/Firebird and give them a bash they most certainly are better than IE and Netscape.

fobotcso
3rd Dec 2003, 04:15
The Hotmail change, effective 1 Dec 2003, has been publicised for at least two months. Perhaps you missed it.

The Microsoft organisation provides you with a FREE service that you clearly find useful. If they chose to update it from time to time and "retire" legacy programs that is their right. The IT world is fast-moving; stay with it or get left behind.

There are other Webmail providers you could try that would work with Netscape 6. Try a Google search.

BTW, I use OE 6 with XP. It's fast enough for me. OE 6 was brought out because it was (is) smaller and faster than 5.5. It may well be the final version.

Bre901
3rd Dec 2003, 06:08
If you use Opera, you can have it pretend it is IE6.

ratsarrse
3rd Dec 2003, 06:28
Or you could try this: Avant Browser (http://www.avantbrowser.com/) I find it to be a great bit of kit.