PDA

View Full Version : VC10 Escape Slides

BUMPFF
2nd Dec 2003, 15:10
Have the pull-down-and-throw-out canvas escape slides installed on the VC10s that I knew in the 1970s been replaced by modern door-mounted auto ones? Official Secrets Act notwithstanding, of course.

BEagle
2nd Dec 2003, 17:40
You must be kidding! Just as 'good' as ever they were - good job they're rarely needed in anger!

'Cabin staff - doors to flight' is not something you'll hear on the Vickers Funbus! Not that you would anyway because the PA is pretty difficult to hear!

But the IFE has been upgraded - you can spend hours wondering which piece of interior trim will fall off.......

Tonkenna
3rd Dec 2003, 04:00
BEagle is indeed correct and I threw my self down one of them only a couple of weeks ago (for practice of course). Oh the fun ;)

Tonks :)

brit bus driver
3rd Dec 2003, 04:32
...picks himself up off the floor.

Surely BEagle, you must have something to tell us about the quality of the slides on the A330......;)

JohnB
3rd Dec 2003, 04:39
8 December 1988

Slight problem with the VC10 meant that the slides had to be used. ALM popped the slide in front of the wing. Worked perfectly. Jumped down and ran away very quickly.

Shame about the rear door slide though....Stwd pulled the ...whatever it's called to make the thing work....and nothing!

60 odd pax jumped down the one available slide.

Beats any funfair slide. :O

Runaway Gun
3rd Dec 2003, 04:52
If Tonks threw himself down one, they must have strengthened them since my last practise....

Has the Carbon Fibre mod come through ?? ;)

Tonkenna
3rd Dec 2003, 05:42
RG, Are you calling me FAT!!! :{ :p

I have got a slipped disk though. Might have something to do with my slidding technique:confused:

Tonks :ok:

Blacksheep
3rd Dec 2003, 11:59
Reminds of watching the loadies doing a practice session a loooong time ago. Three tiny Spoons and a Load Mattress managed to get the unwieldy great raft down from the ceiling and throw it out of the door. Congratulations all round until the instructor pointed out that since the young ladies hadn't secured the lanyard that doubled as a mooring line and rip cord, the whole raft was now headed for Davey Jones's locker and they would have to swim for it instead of going for a cruise. Doors on automatic is definitely a better idea, military or civilian...

Through difficulties to the cinema

FFP
3rd Dec 2003, 19:48
Don't forget the DV windows in the front are exits !!

I know many a flight deck crew that would just slip right out of that hole (oo er :uhoh: )

Runaway Gun
4th Dec 2003, 02:39
Didn't mean to upset you. But with a name like Tonks I presumed you shared a similarity with Tonka Trucks (big and heavy).

I guess that you are a bit of a body builder then. Muscle weighs more than fat, yes? Now I will not annoy you any more in case you visit my home base. :\

Tonkenna
4th Dec 2003, 03:48
:ouch: I'm gonna get a complex!! Just cause I've put on a kilo or two :)

I think I suffer from Lazy Bolemia, I can do the eating bit, just can't do this :yuk: afterwards. Doh!!

Oh well better get back to the gym, though I know BEagle disapproves of that kind of behaviour.

Tonks

:D :ok:

MrBernoulli
5th Dec 2003, 06:49
A couple of years ago there was, if I can recall correctly, an incident of smoke (whilst on the ground) in the VC10 and a slide was deployed but failed to work. I'm sure a reader or user of this forum will remember the details better than I.

D-IFF_ident
5th Dec 2003, 15:34
I believe the slide would have worked fine, had it been used correctly.

BEagle
6th Dec 2003, 21:57
Tonks - what are you doing committing sport?

Thought that scaling the dd mountain was your bag, baby? PS - Have you got any gash carabiners (or whatever they're called ) - I'm getting fed up with tying down my aeroplanes with complicated knots and a carawhatsit on each tie-down would work a treat!

Did you get your civvy licence/FI rating whilst you were away abusing children at the UAS?

Judge Rembrandt
7th Dec 2003, 15:19
Tonks,
Shame on you! It's no joking matter suffering from an eating disorder. I'm a bit of a fat b'stard myself but put it down to bulemia amnesia........ It's not that I'm too lazy to honk, I just forget to!! Welcome back to the sharp-end.
Cheers JR

Tonkenna
8th Dec 2003, 04:55
BEagle,

You will probably need Screw Gate Karabiners as they won't unclip accidently. They usually have a strength of about 25 - 30 kn dependant on make and model. I don't have any spare, but the are quite cheap and I can get them for you if you want (£6-9 each).

Tonks :)

Uncle Ginsters
8th Dec 2003, 05:16
Heard of a case in the last 12 months at a secret Eastern Med airfield.....ATC saw flames and the crew aborted/abandoned the ac. Everything ran on rails it seems.....the chutes in the 10 probably get far more servicing than those in civvy st.......how often is that??? Anyone know? Anyone care? :cool:

Uncle G

Blacksheep
8th Dec 2003, 12:42
As per Boeing B767 MPD - overhaul every three years. Inspect installation and stowage every 'A' Check (i.e 600 hours or 3 months) Bottle pressures and girt bar installations are inspected daily.

We also do a random sampling operational check of one of each door type once every three years. When due for overhaul, the opportunity is used for crews to practice a live deployment and use. Note that our door opening is power assisted with automatic slide-raft deployment.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Mr C Hinecap
8th Dec 2003, 17:02
BEagle

Suggest you get some of the cheaper but more robust steel Karabiners for anything like that. The gucci alloy ones are designed for lightness more than durability. For a more industrial use the heavier ones are probably better for you.

BEagle
8th Dec 2003, 18:12
Thanks - just want something to act as a quick-release attachment between the ac tie-dow rings and the anchors. Weight not a problem, as you say. But Tonks used to have a load of bits of rope with climbing gear attached in that swamp of a room he had in Incirlik, so might be the easiest contact.

Been eating the pies, I gather Tonks. Guess that means that fashion-icon stuff you bought in the Incirlik strip will be a bit tight these days?

Lionel Lion
9th Dec 2003, 03:22
Ginsters

The said incident at the secret near east base was nothing more than a wet start on the APU which ATC noticed. But better safe than sorry as they say.

The aeroplanes are safe.....or we wouldn't get in them. And the most those slides get used for are another uselessly staffed and overly cautious 2 Group BTR.

Now the quality of the butty boxes is a different issue entirely.......but thats another thread.

:8